Depersonalization Support Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
I kind of agree about dp not being necessarily down to trauma or abuse. I first experienced something similar to dp at a very young age, with no relation to any trauma. I believe that some are predisposed to using a certain part of the brain (speaking metaphorically). Once you know how to use it, you can do it out of habit and obsession, not necessarily as a defense. Also, any conflicting thoughts about yor self will likely manifest themself that way. For instance, dp came first for me. Has caused me a few problems in my life, but when I get stressed or go through any confusing changes in life, my brain uses the dp part. We will always be able to dissociate, the answer lies in not always using that 'part' of the brain as a defense mechanism. We will all have different ways of achieving that, depending on how we got there. I do not necessarily think dissociation always occurs under trauma, it is a mechanism that reacts a bit too dramatically to protect us.

Ive always had mind bending thoughts, since I can remember. Im not sure if this caused the dp part of my brain to activate, or whether I have those thoughts because that part of my brain was already geared up like that right from the word 'go'. And when I say I've had mind bending thoughts since I can remember, I can remember discussing infinity with my dad at an EXTREMELY young age, like 4, and getting freaked out.

oh that damn chicken and egg conundrum

·
Registered
935 Posts
I kind of agree about dp not being necessarily down to trauma or abuse. I first experienced something similar to dp at a very young age, with no relation to any trauma. I believe that some are predisposed to using a certain part of the brain (speaking metaphorically). Once you know how to use it, you can do it out of habit and obsession, not necessarily as a defense. Also, any conflicting thoughts about yor self will likely manifest themself that way. For instance, dp came first for me. Has caused me a few problems in my life, but when I get stressed or go through any confusing changes in life, my brain uses the dp part. We will always be able to dissociate, the answer lies in not always using that 'part' of the brain as a defense mechanism. We will all have different ways of achieving that, depending on how we got there. I do not necessarily think dissociation always occurs under trauma, it is a mechanism that reacts a bit too dramatically to protect us.

Ive always had mind bending thoughts, since I can remember. Im not sure if this caused the dp part of my brain to activate, or whether I have those thoughts because that part of my brain was already geared up like that right from the word 'go'. And when I say I've had mind bending thoughts since I can remember, I can remember discussing infinity with my dad at an EXTREMELY young age, like 4, and getting freaked out.

oh that damn chicken and egg conundrum

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.