Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm someone who has taken psychedelics before and after my year of DP, do you guys think that since drugs like shrooms and DMT open you up so much that you could possibly find the origin and the main source of what is causing your anxiety? On the other hand, since these drugs already put you in a partially DP/DR state that it could make you freak out and thus cause your feeling of it to worsen? This is something that I've been thinking about a lot as a possible treatment for feelings of anxiety and thus feeling of DP.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hello, I'm someone who has taken psychedelics before and after my year of DP, do you guys think that since drugs like shrooms and DMT open you up so much that you could possibly find the origin and the main source of what is causing your anxiety? On the other hand, since these drugs already put you in a partially DP/DR state that it could make you freak out and thus cause your feeling of it to worsen? This is something that I've been thinking about a lot as a possible treatment for feelings of anxiety and thus feeling of DP.
Using psychoactive substances, the recreational kind, would definitely not be a good idea if you have a mental disorder.

·
Registered
Drummer, Sound Engineer, Music
979 Posts
Yep, taking psychoactive substances is madness, DMT is a real gateway to something you don't want. This isn't your escape and it's not medication. There is a reason DMT cured my DP is not a thread that you can find anywhere, if you can, please enlighten me, i had a mate who did it, every time he felt himself slipping and got more quiet in the time i knew him, might be recoverable, i dunno but even he said was lost, he was going through a tough time and that's what he was going for and that's all he managed to achieve.

To me it's totally in the name, psychoactive <--- if you want to loose yourself. If you are trying to find yourself... this seems like the last thing you'd ever want

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm experimenting with mushrooms at the minute, you may want to check out my posts for a balanced view.. there sure is a risk don't get me wrong. But with this it is about the individual. If you have intermittent dp I would say dont do it. If you have had dp relatively recently ie less than a year don't do it. But if you have had chronic dp for over ten years (like me) and have had little benefit from all the suggested meds maybe try it..

But do your own research. There is a lot of research coming out about people being literally cured of depression, anxiety and ptsd after trying EVERYTHING and not being helped, and then one trip changed everything. For me, I 'tripped' for the first time just a week ago and it really was an incredible experience and I am still feeling those benefits. It wasn't even a very large dose either.. there's lots of science on mushrooms and mdma at the moment helping these things, particularly ptsd. And I take my dp as complex ptsd.. in terms of the science it does turn off the mpfc which is over active in dp. This was associated with feelings of love, compassion and empathy that I really 'felt' properly during the trip for the first time in many many years.

Also, suppressed memories are likely to come up. One came up for me during microdosing. This is where trips can go 'bad' as people deny se truth about themselves they don't like. I am aware of all these horrible memories through therapy and they are very very bad.. but I understand I have to face them in a direct sense as I believe part of my dp is sustained through blocking these memories. So you have to have some awareness of what could be a trauma related to your dp

Do lots of research, know what to expect and know the risks. If DP is new to you, try the usual medications until you jump to something like this as the magic cure

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yeh there are dangers.. especially with not knowing what you are getting because it's illegal, what doses, how to use the drug effectively. I'm sure there are stories of people taking drugs and making their dp even worse, but I can't recall seeing any. I think there is a huge difference between trigger and cause. And IMO these drugs have the potential to take you to the dark parts of yourself.

If your not prepared for that, or looking to 'party' and in completely the wrong setting, thay can be catastrophic. I'm pretty sure that is what happened to me during the weed panic attack when this started. I was having a bad time already and then those feelings along with a high amount of drugs reminded me of an experience I had supressed. I wasn't psychologically developed enough to deal with that information so I supressed it once again, but it's like the ego doubles down on it and the energy required to keep those memories at bay is twice as much.

But judge each case on its merits.. which is why I wouldn't throw out a black and white statement like psychedelics will cure you as I don't know you or know if you have had therapy etc. There are cases of weed helping ptsd patients, as well as mdma and shrooms and lsd.. equally there are cases of them causing dpd. These drugs can be very useful tools for processing trauma and healing. They can also be very dangerous if your looking for a good time. I dismissed shrooms for a very long time. I have finally taken them and don't regret it. But I could well be back here in a week saying they have made me worse. I am fully aware of that risk but I personally am taking the risk as I know something absolutely has to change about this. I can't function and can't work. The science adds up as does now my personal experience. If you do decide to take any psychedelics I would recommend shrooms as they are something we have interacted with for thousands of years.. also start with microdosing and see how that goes. And again do your own research. Own your decision, don't blame some guy on the Internet that told you to do it. Everyone is different, follow your intuition

·
Administrator
977 Posts
I think this was vogue in the 50/60's - didn't Cary Grant say it helped him work out some issues? But he was a high-functioning movie star, I don't know about anyone else here but I'm not. Messing around with this kind of thing...no way, not for me.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would strongly advise anybody with DP or DP like symptoms, anxiety, depression or any other mental illness to avoid psychedelics at all costs -- unless taken in extremely small doses under the supervision of medical experts. Yes, there are an increasing number of people with mental illness who have found relief with psychedelics, but again, these are people who are in highly controlled environments with doctors who understand exactly what they're administering and what to do in case something takes a wrong turn. Taking drugs from a friend or over the Internet without knowing its manufacturer or how much your taking or what mood you're in or what might come up in your past during your trip can all lead to absolutely life-altering disastrous turnouts. I'm a shining example of this. I took one hit of acid 2.5 years ago and have since lived a hellish existence of extreme DP, HPPD and other health disorders I wouldn't wish on anybody in the history of the planet.

Bottom line is this: As forestx says, psychedelics are the neurological version of Russian roulette. Sure, you can spin the chamber and pull the trigger and have nothing happen and have a great time saying you did it. But what will you really gain that you can't get through all sorts of other life experiences? On the flip side, what happens if you get the bullet? You can't ever get that back. You can't reverse severe brain malfunction and possibly even cell death. And not only that, these things drastically increase your odds of additional mental and physiological illness as side effects.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.