Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, this MB is a Godsend. It helps me to know that I'm not going crazy, and that this isn't a NORMAL way to feel. That's the worst part of DP sometimes- the feeling that you will never be normal, that somehow the DP is a part of you that you can't imagine living without. Or maybe that's my own feeling.

Anyway, does anyone else have a problem with images of themselves making the DP worse? if I look at a picture of myself, I almost get a panic attack, and the DP feelings are much worse. A weird result of this is I can manage the DP somewhat by pretending I'm a different person. Kind of strange, but anything is better than unreality, even if it takes an unreal solution.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yup - find it very hard looking at pictures.

Looked a picture of me as a toddler and it hit me very hard. That child no longer exists technically. But he does...but he doesn't...but he sort of does...but he doesn't really.....

·
Registered
670 Posts
yuck yes... looking at pictures is way harder than looking in the mirror for me. :cry:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
to me mirrors are worse, because you look at yourself and you can't belive its actually you, but pics are bad too, i don't look at them anymore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, when i look at pictures i feel as if i am looking at a clear(er) image of what someone TOLD me i was and this was there proof... Afterward, i notice that these images come up again later as if my mind is trying to accept them and make them resemble a memory... even though i cant place a single thing about the picture. but oh no, its me. Cause a picture says so. yet the mirror too makes me freak out harder.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mirrors are too bad...sometimes even when I feel relatively OK, they can make me feel completely depersonalized again.
I don't have many pictures of myself, luckily, and never really cared about how I look, that makes it a little better, I guess.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If I had this this mirror thing you're describing (ie; i sometimes when dp'd feel the image as awkward as well but not on the level you are saying), what I would do would be to make some plan of weird and happy activities to do while watching the mirror.

If you can't look at the mirror and say: "I love you." that means something. Keep doing the affirmation till the uncomfortable feeling wears out.

If I had that kind of precise physical thing going, that is, knowing that I'm on some level afraid of mirrors, i would try to do as many crazy things in front of a mirror as possible, even if looked silly just because if I can get that over, I know I could do much more.

I used to have this HUGE anxiety over my city. Doom and Gloom, total abstract spatial weirdness and major physical symptoms. I've overcame it with strength and faith and a LOT of night time walks! :)

Now when I have a bad day I know I can count with at least one thing...

My Beautiful City Night Time Walk...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts