Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shoot, I forgot to copy the link. This was found in a PubMed search.

J Nerv Ment Dis. 2013 Jul;201(7):629-35. doi: 10.1097/NMD.0b013e3182982995.
Depersonalization experiences are strongly associated with dizziness and vertigo symptoms leading to increased health care consumption in the German general population.
Tschan R, Wiltink J, Adler J, Beutel ME, Michal M.

Source
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, University Medical Center Mainz, Mainz, Germany.

Abstract
This study investigated the association of depersonalization (DP) experiences with dizziness and its impact on subjective impairment and health care use.

Trained interviewers surveyed a representative sample of 1287 persons using standardized self-rating questionnaires on dizziness, DP, and mental distress. Symptoms of dizziness were reported by 15.8% (n = 201). Thereof, 62.7% endorsed at least one symptom of DP, 40% reported impairment by symptoms of DP, and 8.5% reported clinically significant DP.

Regression analyses identified DP as a significant, independent predictor for dizziness symptom severity, health care use, and impairment by dizziness.

With regard to the Vertigo Symptom Scale, DP explained 34.1% (p < 0.001) of the variance for severity of symptoms of dysfunction in the balance system. In conclusion, symptoms of DP, highly prevalent in patients complaining of dizziness and vertigo, were independently associated with increased impairment and health care use. The presence of DP symptoms should actively be explored in patients complaining of dizziness.
PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Curious as to why this is, I've had this for awhile now. Some of it was attributed to stress related high blood pressure, but not entirely.
IDK, but I know that oddly enough dizziness was a criteria in the DSM-III (almost certain), then was taken out of the DSM-IV. I know with me, I had a massive dizzy spell several days before the DP/DR "took over" when I was in 8th grade ... 13 years old. I'd already had DP/DR for years, but when it REALLY hit the dizziness came first.

I've heard this re: other people.

Also, there is an endless discussion about DP and inner ear (vestibular) disorders. Crazy stuff.

So many oddities to sort out.

I have some pretty bad episodes of vertigo on and off with no explanation. I also have good blood pressure, etc. Well it's "low" but normal for me. 90/60. Rarely changes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I fall into this category as well. Dizziness, dp and blurred vision. They all came on at the same time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
To me, this again indicates subsets of DP. And clearly others will attempt to replicate this experiment. I wish more ENTs would do a full medcial history on people who come in with vertigo/dizziness. I have been to one before, but didn't want them to MAKE me have more vertigo ... they do this to try to find the cause -- I said to Hell with that. But if the two are associated somehow (DP and vertigo, etc.) it would be difficult to find out the mechanism causing this.

What is most successful these days is genetic maniuplation in animals, and the examination of post-mortem human brains. (Sounds gruesome, but that's where you clearly see differences in brains compared to healthy controls.) No clue what my brain looks like. Some days it feels as if I have 2 neurons left, lol.

Harvard Brain Bank Tissue Research Center - McLean Hospital

Check out some interesting stuff going on there. I'm literally on the donor list.

Brainbank Tour on Video -- pretty interesting

·
Registered
14 Posts
i can relate with this guys!! Dizzinies got very rare in the last months though, which is a good thing!

Last week i had a familiy meeting, which was very hard for me and i felt very dizzy and anxious as well.

As soon as go out of the situation the dp/dr gets better and the dizziness goes away instantly.

usually the dizziness causes also a panic attack!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Exactly!!
I always get super dizzy when i get anxious. I feel unbalanced so i have to grab onto things because i feel like i'm falling off. I also get very bad headache. This is my only symptom including brain fog/visual perception. I zone out all the time, it sucks!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Exactly!!
I always get super dizzy when i get anxious. I feel unbalanced so i have to grab onto things because i feel like i'm falling off. I also get very bad headache. This is my only symptom including brain fog/visual perception. I zone out all the time, it sucks!!!
it happens to me as well! i can`t even walk and my vision is blurred like it is in dr!

·
Registered
76 Posts
@fabiono how bad is your vision? I feel like i focus on everything to much so everything starts to look weird which freaks me out. It makes me really anxious and so my hands start to swear. I have been able to change my thought process but now i am stuck with this shit ;(

·
Registered
14 Posts
@fabiono how bad is your vision? I feel like i focus on everything to much so everything starts to look weird which freaks me out. It makes me really anxious and so my hands start to swear. I have been able to change my thought process but now i am stuck with this shit ;(
you mean generelly? my dr is constant but is diffrent in intensity so for exampl the family meeting was in a restaurant, as soon as there is a lot of artificial light and people myvision gets blurred....also in subway especially because its dark outside and inside neon light

are you working on cbt as as well live1light?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts