Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Don’t know the cause

924 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Jackk11 
#1 ·
I’m about 3 months in and the main thing that bothers me is I have no idea what caused my situation. I woke up and started driving to school and all of a sudden it felt like my soul was sucked from my body and everything looked dreamy. I couldn’t feel time passing by and my mind felt impaired and almost blank. Even with this I didn’t have a panic attack just a pretty bad feeling of anxiety in my gut and went on with this feeling for about 2 weeks. The anxiety subsided and now I’m left with this mental dulling, dreamy vision, and no sense of time. Does anyone relate to this?

#2 ·
Stress!!!...Im convinced stress of all kinds and levels is whats behind all of our DP...

Even subtle stress can be very damaging to pre disposed individuals like ourselves...

I never underestimate the damage stress can do both physically as well as mentally to an individual...Strokes, heart problems, worry, depression, nervous breakdowns and yes DP....Stress can be at the centre of alot of it...

Many people will say they dont have any worries or major pressures in life...But that is often because that is what has been the norm for them for many years...We all need to slow down and ease the everyday pressures of life from ourselves....You will find the biggest stressor of all is financial...In the form of poverty or greed...Either not having enough money or constantly wanting to make more of it...Unfortunately humans particularly in the western world are absolutely obsessed with materialism..It wreaks havoc with a persons mental state....We all need to lower our expectations as to what creates happiness in life...Too many of us rely on money to make us happy....Whilst I agree we need money to pay bills and survive I also believe our obsession with wanting more of it to feel happy is driving us all to mental extremes....

#3 ·
Next time you are handed a large sum of money for whatever reason watch what happens to your mood and sense of security and overall feeling of well being...The effect is seriously dramatic...

Then observe the next time you havent got enough money in your bank account to make up the rent....That effect is equally as dramatic but in a very negative way...

#4 ·
The answer is very simple...Lower the expectations you put on yourself as regards the material things you believe will make you happy...Simplify life as best you can...I mean what is one of the worst parts about DP....Feeling overwhelmed and confused...

#5 ·
[quote name="eddy1886" post="586522" timestamp="1530710830"]

Stress!!!...Im convinced stress of all kinds and levels is whats behind all of our DP...

Now that you mention it I have had the most stressful 2 years of my life leading up to this. I stayed local for college and All of my friends went away so i was pretty isolated besides when I was with my girlfriend and I relied completely on her for any type of socializing. And when I wasn't able to see her for good periods of time i would become severely anxious and upset. I also had a lot of inner conflict about an addiction I had and had a lot of rage turned inward towards myself. I didn't have the greatest home life growing up either (somewhat abusive alcoholic father). I'm rambling here but now that I think about it stress makes a lot of sense. Hopefully my Brain sorts this out with time. All I can do is exercise, eat healthy, socialize and hope for the best.

#6 ·
Reduce ALL levels of stress in ALL areas of your life....Its vital...

You should also consider a 12 step programme for your addiction...Saved my life....They dont just keep you clean and sober, they teach you how to live properly and become mentally healthier as well....Just dont expect miracles overnight...It takes time to learn to live properly and healthily when overcoming any addiction...You gotta remember that addicts and alcoholics have been escaping the real world for a long time and therefore are more prone to mental ill health problems etc...I wouldnt be surprised if your addiction played a part role in you developing DP....

Drugs and alcohol are an absolute no no when it comes to DP....Disaster waiting to happen...So avoid them like the plague...

Exercising and eating healthy will also help.....

To recover from DP and Addiction you basically have to do the complete opposite of everything that got you there in the first place...

Einstein said that the definition of "Insanity" was "Doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results each time" .....

The answer is to change...Change your approach, attitude and outlook....But change for the better and for the benefit of yourself and those around you....

Addicts and DP sufferers have one thing in common....Seriously low self esteem and a total lack of self love and a total lack of sense of self worth...You must learn to accept yourself for who you are (Not what you are) Take off that mask and be YOU.....Its mentally draining trying to constantly be something or someone you are not...At the root of it is a desire to be accepted, loved and an overwhelming need to fit in....This stuff comes from childhood so its not an overnight fix....

It is absolutely vital that ALL DP sufferers and Addicts begin to accept themselves for who they are and to be themselves...That mask we have all been wearing since our childhood has been a big contributor in us turning out the way we did......

You will find that your true person is actually quite clever, useful and decent and has a proper place in the world....

Ive yet to meet a dumb useless Addict or DP sufferer....They are ALL very clever, intelligent people with tonnes to offer the world....Ya just gotta be yourself and more importantly learn to love yourself (for WHO YOU ARE not What You Are)

#7 ·
That relying on your girlfriend is also not very healthy....Addicts and DP suffers are also often Co-Dependant....We need to learn to become more reliant on ourselves and also we need to learn to sit with ourselves and be comfortable on our own and in our own skin....

This all may sound impossible but I can promise you its possible....It has been my own personal experience.....It just didnt happen overnight which is what all anxious people want... "Everything yesterday" ......In fact patience as regards recovery from any illness especially mental is VITAL....

You will get better but it takes time...

#8 ·
That relying on your girlfriend is also not very healthy....Addicts and DP suffers are also often Co-Dependant....We need to learn to become more reliant on ourselves and also we need to learn to sit with ourselves and be comfortable on our own and in our own skin....

This all may sound impossible but I can promise you its possible....It has been my own personal experience.....It just didnt happen overnight which is what all anxious people want... "Everything yesterday" ......In fact patience as regards recovery from any illness especially mental is VITAL....

You will get better but it takes time...
Everytime I read one of your comments I feel better man, I dont know what it is. Your indeed a very intellegent human being thats for sure.

Reactions: spectator162
#9 ·
Everytime I read one of your comments I feel better man, I dont know what it is. Your indeed a very intellegent human being thats for sure.
Thanks Yoloking....These are just my own experiences though...They are by no means the bible as regards DP etc....

We are all just here to share our experiences...Even if we truly dont know how to cure each other...We can still encourage each other and bounce stuff off each other...I learn just as much if not more off you guys than you do off me....We are all equally as clever as one another on here and all have good stuff to offer...Dont ever underestimate the power of an idea or concept you might have...Pass it on!!!! Once its a good honest decent thing....

I mean is that not what a self help group is all about....Sharing, caring and learning!!!

#10 ·

Even subtle stress can be very damaging to pre disposed individuals like ourselves...

I never underestimate the damage stress can do both physically as well as mentally to an individual...Strokes, heart problems, worry, depression, nervous breakdowns and yes DP....Stress can be at the centre of alot of it...

Many people will say they dont have any worries or major pressures in life...But that is often because that is what has been the norm for them for many years...We all need to slow down and ease the everyday pressures of life from ourselves....You will find the biggest stressor of all is financial...In the form of poverty or greed...Either not having enough money or constantly wanting to make more of it...Unfortunately humans particularly in the western world are absolutely obsessed with materialism..It wreaks havoc with a persons mental state....We all need to lower our expectations as to what creates happiness in life...Too many of us rely on money to make us happy....Whilst I agree we need money to pay bills and survive I also believe our obsession with wanting more of it to feel happy is driving us all to mental extremes....
I have to agree that stress is without a doubt a major factor that contributes to any illness.

I was a very stressful person before my DP began and continued to be stressful even after. I had too many racing thoughts,too many worries and preoccupations, this in turn became anxiety which slowly crippled me.

I have to say that I have gotten better from my DP, and coincidentally, my stress levels are down too.

#11 ·
i know what your saying jack its like i know what caused it but at the same time my memory is fucked so its hard to recall what exacly happened in my case as this happened about a year and a few months ago to me.

def agree with yall to on the stress i know stress played a huge part of me getting fuckedup. i still feel guilty to this day that i could of just tried to relax more and worked things out but i was very stuborn and had anger issues.

#12 ·
I really appreciate the replies guys. Thing is I don’t relate to a lot of people on this board. I’m not anxious I am pretty depressed but I feel like myself sometimes especially when I drink (which I’m considering stopping for the time being) but I jut feel completely removed from time and the outside world. I have not continuous thought process only passing thoughts when I’m busy. I don’t get much enjoyment from the things I used to because I’m so preoccupied with how I can’t think and the feelings associated with it. Im just fucking confused ????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.