Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's known that exercise is good for anxiety, but everytime I try to exercise, after few minutes I start to get very dizzy and spaced out. Almost like an instant drunkness buzz. It feels like my derealization gets 10 times worse, and it takes me a good 10 minutes post-exercise to get back to baseline.

Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, when i was in my really acute phase i couldn't work out at all, it made things so much worse. I did read that heavy exercise can actually be bad when you have very severe anxiety as the body basically can't handle the stress. It took me several months until i was well enough to work out properly again. Think about taking walks until you're more well. And you will be

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well, what you described is pretty much exactly my experience, except that it takes me half an hour to an hour to recover. It turns exercise into this trade-off: instead of it just being a good thing, you pay with increased DP/DR.

I did read that heavy exercise can actually be bad when you have very severe anxiety as the body basically can't handle the stress. It took me several months until i was well enough to work out properly again. Think about taking walks until you're more well. And you will be
I have no anxiety.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Exercise releases endocannabanoids, which make us feel stoned. It's a good thing, though it might feel uncomfortable. Are you more aware of these natural experiences since having DP? Either way, if you're medically cleared to exercise, everything is probably fine.

Disclaimer: this isn't medical advice or a substitute for medical advice.
Yeah, I've been wondering if it has something to do with that. I sometimes get a really strong sensation of "runner's high".

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was looking this up this morning!!! I was disappointed my workout ended up in a panic attack yesterday when they tell me to exercise to help my anxiety. When I read up,it said the hormones and such that exercise create can cause feelings of panic in people with anxiety. But long term effects will be a reduction in these levels. It still sucks to have that happen when we are trying to do something positive and healthy! I also think I get low blood sugar which makes me dizzy and jittery after so I need to eat and drink more before hand.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Exercise releases endocannabanoids, which make us feel stoned. It's a good thing, though it might feel uncomfortable. Are you more aware of these natural experiences since having DP? Either way, if you're medically cleared to exercise, everything is probably fine.

Disclaimer: this isn't medical advice or a substitute for medical advice.
Nailed it. It's a natural high (which for people without anxiety feels nice) but for those of us who are prone to self checking to monitor anxiety, any detected anomaly could set off panic. That being said, exercise is obviously good for you and I'd treat it as exposure therapy - safely raising heart rate and testing your anxiety - plus it helps purge the stress hormones that are most responsible for DP/DR - as long as you don't let your panic get away from you. :)

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's a tough one really. I sometimes get the same but then I also believe that with this perhaps we have to get worse to get better. Maybe recovery could involve emotional pain and anxiety as these are most likely the emotions we suppress that make us numb. Modern society and even mental health professionals discourage crying or expressing negative emotions such as fear, anger or sadness. Perhaps the way out of this is through the pain rather than trying to avoid it

Like I say it is a hard one to explain and I could be dead wrong lol. But I have started practising the Wim Hof method recently, that involves breathing exercises, stretching and cold showers. The idea being that our bodies have stopped being capable of dealing with natural stressors, so we consciously do these things and our body/mind adapts and learns to cope. Exercise is a great example of this, we get out of breath, sweat, heart rate goes up, muscles ache/fatigue... you obviously wouldn't consciously choose to put your body in this state. But the point is it releases endocannabinoids/endorphins/natural opioids etc as well as a host of other hormones to cope

So we are training our mind/body to adapt to natural stressors more which may be part of the road to recovery. If you have fear from it, it could be a sign that your body isn't adapted well to deal with stress. Society has told us that pain is a sign to stop, but it could be a sign that we need to learn to cope with it and adapt. Just my 2 cents

1 - 8 of 8 Posts