Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I met my MD and got relieving news - Finnish Student Health Service has got more funding for psychotherapy. That's why my wish to seek psychotherapeutic help was finally answered, as my MD wrote an admission mote for me. However she said it may take some time before I may get into therapy, as there is a kind of queue for students seeking psychotherapy at FSHS. But anyway, I got good news and it is a very nice thing indeed.

Meanwhile I'd like to ask you guys, who have been to therapy, how it has helped you with DP/DR? I'm interested to hear your experiences, as I'm waiting for the phonecall from FSHS like a child is waiting for Christmas time. Of course I realize psychotherapy isn't any magic trick or quick fix, but I hope it would help me handling my inner fears of being alone, which I think spring from early experience of abandonment as a child - and which are the cause of my DR. Please be free to PM me, if you'd like to keep your replies private.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Byrde, for your reply again :) Anyone else been to psychotherapy? Please write me - I could die for replies...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Ninnu,

I went to see a psychotherapist this year. I saw him once a week for around 4 months and I really think that it was the turning point for me. Without that I'm not sure I would have realised some of the things that seemed to be underlying my DR/DP. It's not an easy thing to go through by any means and I ended up making some painful decisions as a result. I do think I stopped seeing him to soon as I feel like there are still a lot of things, especially from my childhood/issues with parents etc that I need to get sorted out in my head before I can completely leave all this behind,
but at the end of it all I feel that I am almost through this mess and that I know myself a little better.

Good luck!

G

·
I see a therapist every other week and a psychiatrist once a month (for meds). It is has helped me tremendously because I have a non traditional therapist. She diagnosed me with DP the first visit and she has been very creative with her therapy. She loves to, as I humorously refer to it, "slam me against the wall" mentally. She can't reach any other emotion so she goes for pissing me off. It finally gets through to me a couple of days after the visit what she has caused me to think about. Pretty sneaky!!! My DP was caused by traumatic childhood events. I wonder if therapy works better for childhood or other traumas as opposed to drug induced DP? Has therapy worked for anyone in this group who has drug induced DP? :twisted:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.