Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents wanna send me to one, but I'm not depressed or something, just serve dp/dr...

Bur I don't think it will help, as they don't even know what dp/dr is so don't understand it I guess...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had to swith therapists a good number of times before I found one that I liked/was helpful/even knew what dpdr was. But I'm really glad I found this one, she is super awesome. I mostly have dpdr with some anxiety and depression. She gives me great tips on how to deal with things, like if I am out somewhere and get bad dpdr what to do, how to calm down if I am feeling intense anxiety, etc. It's nice just to have someone to talk to that won't judge you and is there to help. I know a lot of people don't like therapy, but I've had mental health issues for 15 years and therapy helped me get out of those problems. It can be hard to find someone you like, but I say try it out, and if you don't feel like it's helpful, you can always stop!

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you just have DPDR, you are going to have a hard time with psychologists, as 99.999% of them have absolutely no idea what DPDR is or how to treat it. If you have some anxiety mixed in it might be beneficial to see one, but if not I'd say don't waste your money unless you find the needle in the haystack.

Psychiatrists are for medication primarily. But you will probably will have less luck with them, in getting them to prescribe meds that have been shown to help with DPDR. So if you do find one make sure they are okay with experimenting. You would have to do your homework with a psychiatrist though, look at studies and send the studies to them so you can find the right meds.

I don't know how debilitating and alarming DPDR is for you, but having to deal with both psychologists and psychiatrist is an extreme pain, and has been not worth it -- at least in my case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree a bit with Existentialist about the fact that most psychologists and therapists in general don't know very much about depersonalization, so trying to get help from someone who isn't qualified can be extremely frustrating.

But on the other had I think that if you go into it with an open mind, and view this as an opportunity, no matter what the outcome, something good can come from speaking to a professional. I think it's definitely worth a shot. And it's rare but if you can find a psychiatrist who also does talk therapy your golden.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think it's beneficial, provided you find one with at least some understanding of DP/DR and the way dissociation works. My first therapist was an absolute joke - I later found out the hospital had actually sought her out specifically to talk to me about hypochondria and treatment for that, since I had physical symptoms along with my DP/DR that I initially thought were physical/organic in nature. So when the medical testing revealed nothing they turned me over to her, obviously thinking I was full of it. Talk about a slap in the face. That's why I say make sure you're going in there with the specific desire to talk about DP/DR and with the agreement on both sides that it's very real and debilitating.

A psychiatrist can prescribe psychiatric medication, whereas a psychologist is primarily for talking/getting things off your chest, so that's another important distinction to make. If you're looking to maybe try a medication then you definitely want to find someone qualified to do so. Do take into account though, that if you see one, they may want (or require) you to see the other, so they quite often work in tandem.

On the whole I'd say it's worth it to go though. You can always try something low-grade and long-term for anxiety if that's your main concern, then once that's under control start figuring out what to do about the dissociative symptoms, with maybe an atypical antipsychotic or something similar later down the line. They may also be able to refer you for more holistic or experimental treatment that can further improve your symptoms. At the very least, it opens the door to treatment and allows you to voice your struggles. So if the money isn't an issue, I say go for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts