Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I appologize for the inconvinience.

I understand that there are people under 18 (or 21 for some countries), so, if you are under 18 (or 21), I recommend you stop reading now.

I am wandering if DP/DR can get you into a flaming condition about sex. I have read an alike thread/topic yesterday, but it was oriented to medicine. I don't take medicine! (so far), I am interested about "ups" on libido caused by this mind's state sole (DP/DR).

I understand that it may very well be from the absense of activity, but I wanted an opinion since I don't know anyone who has DP/DR in order to ask.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Your body's on "high alert", so it will not spend its precious and limited resources on non-essential functions. When it is no longer on "high alert", things will return to normal.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
On the other hand, (I see where I may have misread your meaning), if you are experiencing an unwanted increase in "function", that too is your body trying to help you regain balance or some respite from the pain.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I understand that there are people under 18 (or 21 for some countries), so, if you are under 18 (or 21), I recommend you stop reading now.
I have a feeling there are more people under 18 having sex than over 18 anymore. How much money is spent on re-igniting sex in marriages these days?

Okay, that was a bit of a stretch, but, I don't think you ought to worry about posting sexual content on this board.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It does for me. I am just to caught up in my thoughts and worries to have a libido. This isn't due to medication because I was like that before I started a med. It is because of the disconnected feelings. It is really becoming a problem in my relationship. You are not alone with this.

·
Registered
645 Posts
rainboteers said:
It does for me. I am just to caught up in my thoughts and worries to have a libido. This isn't due to medication because I was like that before I started a med. It is because of the disconnected feelings. It is really becoming a problem in my relationship. You are not alone with this.
^^^ I can agree. I have lost any wants, needs and interest in sex and it sucks. I am just caught up in my thoughts and worries to think about ANYTHING external.

G

·
My anxiety is the libido-killer. Quite hard to be aroused when you feel sick to the bottom of your stomach, have a dry mouth, a mind doing 110mph and all sorts of horrible, random crap going through your mind.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quite hard to be aroused when you feel sick to the bottom of your stomach, have a dry mouth, a mind doing 110mph and all sorts of horrible, random crap going through your mind.
That is, unless you're into that kind of thing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Interestingly enough sometimes my sex drive goes up if I'm generally dp'd or dr'd. I think it's a desire to connect to something just about the feelings and sensations. Granted I don't actually do anything, but it's just the feeling. Maybe I'm weird.

G

·
Ben said:
Quite hard to be aroused when you feel sick to the bottom of your stomach, have a dry mouth, a mind doing 110mph and all sorts of horrible, random crap going through your mind.
That is, unless you're into that kind of thing.
If only I was an anxietyphile...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Cipramil (Celexa) kills my libido (which is usually a raging torrent of testosterone that blinds me to other priorities) stone dead. Utterly. Efexor didn't, but then again, Efexor made me feel like I was going to die. Simple choice.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My first post wasn't very clear. What I wanted to say is that DP/DR is making my libido going up, way up.

And the paradox in this, is that because of, something that looks like depression, I have low testosterone (the endocrinologist insists I should find a girl, but he doesn't "know" how difficult it is for me) because he sais "I am not happy enought".

I wonder if there is medication to reduce libido, so that I can have some slack. In the other hand, I don't like messing my body with medication.

However, it is not 24/7/365. But there are days (and nights) that I can think nothing else but.. you know.

I have the sense, that it is not sex that it is necessary, but rather the mental satisfaction that woman offers with her presence (and of cource the same a man offers to a woman also). But right now, I cannot afford a relationship. There are other things to take care first.

There must be thoughts to reduce libido mentally, right?

G

·
What's wrong with just having a wank when you're horny?

Like you said it's not 24/7 so why worry? How old are you? I'm 20 and most of the time (When driving, out shopping or down the pub etc) I'm looking out for the nice girls - what's wrong with that?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is nothing wrong with a wank :D A wank is actually a savior in this situation, but it's so disapointing after (even during).

It's not 24/7. I try to look at the ground when I am walking out because I feel bad when looking at girls, like an accumulated thing. You know, why don't hungry people don't go outside a restaurant. I am (almost) 23.

Hmmm... Judging from the replies, this must not be caused by DP/DR. Perhaps one of the reasons DP/DR is here. That's must be the reason I am making the connection. Just realised that, when you said "I'm looking out for the nice girls - what's wrong with that?". With me, something goes "wrong" when looking out for the girls. Thanks mrmole :)

G

·
brainsilence02 said:
I feel bad when looking at girls, like an accumulated thing.
Same here, exactly the same - i'm glad you said that. You've just got to (try) and see that there's nothing wrong with it. But like you said, it's almost an instinct so it's not as easy as that.

From what you've said, I would imagine that you also have anxiety(?) and that both that and the DP (I'm also going to assume that you have more DP than DR) are affected by these underlying issues. So there is something at the bottom of this, possibly.

All my own opinion, so excuse me if it's wrong :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
A lot of girls have gotten used to be stared at their whole lives - which is unfortunate, but true. Simply looking at them and admiring them as being attractive won't tweak them out, I'm fairly sure. I get smiles looking at them - but, I also try hard not to stare which, actually, isn't to prevent them from being turned off but because I would feel guilty actually STARING at them.

It's difficult being sensitive to these kind of things - 'cause the mass dating world is geared towards the uber aggressive jerk. I used to play the part and got girls a sh*t-ton more than I do now. What a paradox.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Rainboteers,

I wish I could give you some intelligent, well rounded answer that could come from experience seeing people fix their problems, but I can't. I'm not sure there is an absolute answer. However, let me kind of spill what immediatley came to mind here and see what you think of it (it may be absolute crap, and if it is then it is).

Perhaps, maybe, you should try to have sex for different reasons? This may be an odd thing to say, but sometimes the pressure of highly-meaningful sex (always) can put a lot of pressure on people. What I'm saying isn't that you should have meaningless sex with your partner, but that you, perhaps, should try looking at it in a different way once and see if the angled point-of-view does something different for you. Have sex because it's fun or because it's spontaneous and exciting; try something different or new or something that you might do just because it's "interesting". Whatever - I'm not saying having sex from a light-fixture dressed as two rodeo clowns or somethin' (unless that gets you going), but, experiment a little.

The reason I say this is because point of view plays a lot in our interest of many things. For example, I can look at researching a new technology for my job as reading, yet again, another document - or I can try to find some interesting application with it and see the learning as an opportunity for me to be creative.

Sex doesn't seem to be, in healthy relationships, a one-dimensional thing that behaves the same at all times. If it is best kept, it seems to be a constantly growing, amorphous thing (I really can't think of a better word than "amorphous" - don't use that as your lead-in for sex, I'm sure you'll turn your partner off). But I think one of the limitations of our modern-day world is the immediate assumption that sex has to be for love at all times, which honestly it doesn't. Sex can be all about love, and if both partners want that at all times then it obviously had best be in their relationship - but it doesn't have to be. Some of my most fun relationships (and memorable) had, really, nothing to do with them other than unadulterated sex. Apart from learning more about things that jump around and move when you put batteries in them than I ever wanted to know, I learned how to relax a little. I don't know, perhaps these thoughts might help?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thanks for your response I was actually about to delete the post out of embarrassment, but oh well! The problem is feeling so disconnected, like I am having sex with a stranger. I can't tell HIM that, I mean what the hell would he think, and I wouldn't blame him. I just feel so detached and it's so weird it makes me cry, and of course that doesn't help one bit. Maybe I will just pretend everything is okay like I do with the rest of my life. It's hard though I've already been traumatized enough in this area in past relationships. Guys just really lose their patience sometimes when it comes to sex. :cry:

I do see what you mean by looking at it from a different angle, and maybe I will try that. I guess I could look at it as exciting and new because it seems so different. I don't know if I will be able to see it that way though, it takes me awhile to trust and be comfortable enough to get that close to someone in the first place. So you can see feeling detached would create quite the problem.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rainboteers,

Without intention to insult, and even though I am very little experienced, I will give an opinion.

The majority of the inhibitions/respites met about sex in girls/women come from the effort of the family to protect the girl from having childer at a young age. So they insert the element of immoral, unhealthy, and the such. To be honest, I haven't found a better alternative way that the parents should take to protect the young woman from bad things. Their intention is good.

Of cource, beeing in a difficult situation (DP/DR, debts, etc) is also bad.

I am a supporter of the idea that sex should be bound to tenderness, but I don't have the proper amount of experience to say if it is possible.

As a recommendation to your situation I say this: do as you feel. If you want to have sex, have it. If you want to have it in a specific aspect/way then have it the way you want (but don't do something that will bring you later in trouble: bondage and even worse from what I have heard of).

Sex is the most natual thing. Like breathing. It is even more natural than talking. If and when you want to do it, you MUST do it. Otherwise trouble starts.

The reason that people develop very odd appetites around it, is because nature has tried so hard not to let us have a choice (no escape for you: the contination of your speciment must continue). There are at least a few bilion ways to approach sex. You must select an approach that will not bring you in trouble (I just said that above... deja vu :)). By understanding nature's intention, you have the liberty to select what is best for you.

As with ALL things, sex should not be subject to self-subjection: "I must have sex this way", especially when it's originating from social and family cheques (like it happened in me, for instance), but instead, you should place the minus (-) and plus (+) and decide what's best for you. You will see, that, after you realize that when a choice does not damage you (physically or mentally) then you will have no hesitation to appease with it. And when a choice is bad for you, you will stop wanting it.

As a general rule: do not press yourself uppon something, or you will have the excact opposite resaults.

rainboteers said:
Maybe I will just pretend everything is okay like I do with the rest of my life. It's hard though I've already been traumatized enough in this area in past relationships.
Don't do this. I think it's bad for you.

rainboteers said:
Guys just really lose their patience sometimes when it comes to sex
True. Not for all, but for most. Nature had made man like this. Usually it only requires for the man to see himself though your eyes and he will stop. But as you understand, as you feel pressed not to have sex, he feels pressed to have (nature calls). There is no justice in this.

I have probably gone beyond the things that I judged as proper to mention as my contribution/opinion to your case, but there are many people reading. Again: no intention to insult.

By the way, what does "raibotters" means? Boots for water? :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts