Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered - does having DP, being over-questioning of certain things and over-thinking - affect the way you treat people?

Ever since I was 12, I've had DP, and not knowing what was a decent way to treat people made me a loner of sorts. I keep to myself, and am terrified of confrontations, am unable to speak to people without stammering or worrying I'm going to say something wrong, and I take serious offence about certain things like betrayal of trust, unnecessary insults, sneering, jeering and the like.

Recently in my office there's this middle-aged woman who's been seeking me out to jeer at. I chose to stop speaking to her because she threatened me with my old man. This is something you should never say to someone who wants to literally kill his old man with his own hands. But because I stopped speaking to her, she's been coming at me with a vengeance.

I'm not sure if this is my fault or not, but I'm curious - do you guys face these problems? Do you constantly get the impression that other people are laughing at you or sneering at you? If so, how do you guys deal with it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've always wondered - does having DP, being over-questioning of certain things and over-thinking - affect the way you treat people?

Ever since I was 12, I've had DP, and not knowing what was a decent way to treat people made me a loner of sorts. I keep to myself, and am terrified of confrontations, am unable to speak to people without stammering or worrying I'm going to say something wrong, and I take serious offence about certain things like betrayal of trust, unnecessary insults, sneering, jeering and the like.

Recently in my office there's this middle-aged woman who's been seeking me out to jeer at. I chose to stop speaking to her because she threatened me with my old man. This is something you should never say to someone who wants to literally kill his old man with his own hands. But because I stopped speaking to her, she's been coming at me with a vengeance.

I'm not sure if this is my fault or not, but I'm curious - do you guys face these problems? Do you constantly get the impression that other people are laughing at you or sneering at you? If so, how do you guys deal with it?

·
Registered
723 Posts
at the end of the day does it matter if someone laughs or jeers at you? i suppose it does if it's upsetting you in which case i'd probably ask her why she's laughing at me

·
Registered
723 Posts
at the end of the day does it matter if someone laughs or jeers at you? i suppose it does if it's upsetting you in which case i'd probably ask her why she's laughing at me

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I always think people are laughing at me, insulting me, or just not liking me. If someone says something to me I think I overanalyze it and I usually always find something bad they meant but that they just didn't come right out and say.

When I was younger and in school it was a fact. I knew people didn't like me and were making fun of me cuz they'd do it right to my face. And what did I do then? I'd either ignore them or glare/roll my eyes and walk away. I have this problem with rolling my eyes at people, I don't even realize I'm doing it a lot of the time... my bf points it out.

Now though, it depends. I'll either ignore people when they do or say something mean or I'll give them a piece of my mind. Like... I had just filled out this application somewhere and my mother and I were driving away and she didn't turn fast enough for the people in back of us so they started yelling at her. I got so mad and stuck my head out the window and was like fuck off you fuckin bitches and gave them the finger and was screaming at them all kinds of crazy stuff. My mother was like oh my god cuz I never say any type of "dirty" word in front of her.

So yeah, lately I bite back cuz I'm just so fed up with people. At work though your job is at stake so I would avoid snapping if at all possible. But it sounds like this lady is saying some nasty shit so I'd either be like hey whats the problem or file a complaint or something.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I always think people are laughing at me, insulting me, or just not liking me. If someone says something to me I think I overanalyze it and I usually always find something bad they meant but that they just didn't come right out and say.

When I was younger and in school it was a fact. I knew people didn't like me and were making fun of me cuz they'd do it right to my face. And what did I do then? I'd either ignore them or glare/roll my eyes and walk away. I have this problem with rolling my eyes at people, I don't even realize I'm doing it a lot of the time... my bf points it out.

Now though, it depends. I'll either ignore people when they do or say something mean or I'll give them a piece of my mind. Like... I had just filled out this application somewhere and my mother and I were driving away and she didn't turn fast enough for the people in back of us so they started yelling at her. I got so mad and stuck my head out the window and was like fuck off you fuckin bitches and gave them the finger and was screaming at them all kinds of crazy stuff. My mother was like oh my god cuz I never say any type of "dirty" word in front of her.

So yeah, lately I bite back cuz I'm just so fed up with people. At work though your job is at stake so I would avoid snapping if at all possible. But it sounds like this lady is saying some nasty shit so I'd either be like hey whats the problem or file a complaint or something.

·
Registered
86 Posts
DP definitely affects my social behavior. I can't talk to anyone without somewhat zoning out more losing interest. Often I'm a little nonresponsive, especially to emotions and reactions, and I'll think things are alright when sometimes they could be mad at me or something like that.

So yes, it DOES affect how you act socially. A lot.

-Grant with an "R"

·
Registered
86 Posts
DP definitely affects my social behavior. I can't talk to anyone without somewhat zoning out more losing interest. Often I'm a little nonresponsive, especially to emotions and reactions, and I'll think things are alright when sometimes they could be mad at me or something like that.

So yes, it DOES affect how you act socially. A lot.

-Grant with an "R"

G

·
dp can make social situations difficult for many reasons.
It's hard to keep it together when you feel like you are on acid trip and nobody else is :shock:

Some of us,or pehaps most of us are overly sensitive and slightly reactive.
Some of us have social phobia and others like myself tend to lean towards avoidance personality disorder.

I'd take note if you are concerned that people are talking or laughing about you on a regular basis.Chances are,they are not.
This is a problem that can get out of control,actually it can start to control your life.
This type of thinking can be helped by using CBT or talk therapy.

Let's face it,somebody,at some time is very likely to mention your name and there might be times when its not in a completely favourable way.
That's life.We can't control what others might say about us.
Can't please all the people all of the time.
Even though at times we might hear something that hurts or angers us,its only one persons perspective and we can't allow others to control our lives.
Mostly I try to take it on board and ask myself how much truth there is in what was said.
I ask myself if it's possible I might need to try and change in an area,I make a mental note to work on it.
Other times,I just think................bugger off lol "what's it to you anyway?"
damn no tongue poking emoticon :evil:

Shelly

G

·
dp can make social situations difficult for many reasons.
It's hard to keep it together when you feel like you are on acid trip and nobody else is :shock:

Some of us,or pehaps most of us are overly sensitive and slightly reactive.
Some of us have social phobia and others like myself tend to lean towards avoidance personality disorder.

I'd take note if you are concerned that people are talking or laughing about you on a regular basis.Chances are,they are not.
This is a problem that can get out of control,actually it can start to control your life.
This type of thinking can be helped by using CBT or talk therapy.

Let's face it,somebody,at some time is very likely to mention your name and there might be times when its not in a completely favourable way.
That's life.We can't control what others might say about us.
Can't please all the people all of the time.
Even though at times we might hear something that hurts or angers us,its only one persons perspective and we can't allow others to control our lives.
Mostly I try to take it on board and ask myself how much truth there is in what was said.
I ask myself if it's possible I might need to try and change in an area,I make a mental note to work on it.
Other times,I just think................bugger off lol "what's it to you anyway?"
damn no tongue poking emoticon :evil:

Shelly

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dp changed my entire life, how i do with people and mainly affected the relationships i had. My interest and willingness to make new friends and meet new people diminished. The only close relationships i have right now are the people whom i knew before i had dp.. that was mroe than a year ago. I find it hard to converse with people and with it is the neverending insecurities and obsessive thnking and negative thoughts taht eventually lead to hesitation and not wanting to start anything new.

and now i see myself as emotionally blunt and insensitive to matters which usually, normally would affect me and pour out any emotion from.

i find it hard to communicate and as if trying to say something or letting some emotion out of me is a hard task to do.

SOcial isolation and being aloof with people. this is the worst effect dp has for me, whenever i thnk of it. being unable to express emotion and feel emotions the way i used to... even if i wanted to.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dp changed my entire life, how i do with people and mainly affected the relationships i had. My interest and willingness to make new friends and meet new people diminished. The only close relationships i have right now are the people whom i knew before i had dp.. that was mroe than a year ago. I find it hard to converse with people and with it is the neverending insecurities and obsessive thnking and negative thoughts taht eventually lead to hesitation and not wanting to start anything new.

and now i see myself as emotionally blunt and insensitive to matters which usually, normally would affect me and pour out any emotion from.

i find it hard to communicate and as if trying to say something or letting some emotion out of me is a hard task to do.

SOcial isolation and being aloof with people. this is the worst effect dp has for me, whenever i thnk of it. being unable to express emotion and feel emotions the way i used to... even if i wanted to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts