Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This is Khulan from Mongolia. I'm 20 years old.

I started getting short episodes or moments of depersonalization [for about 5 seconds every time] since I was in elementary school. I would get confused and ask other people if they felt what I felt, too. Since I was a child, people didn't care much about it when I explained what felt. So, then, even I stopped caring about it.

I used to get these 5 seconds of depersonalization once a year or two. But after I turned 17, it started to get really intense and frequent. These days I get ddd episodes at least once every month, often short, but sometimes for hours. I couldn't find much information about this in my native language, so I decided to get help from here.

The weird thing is the triggers. [though it happens occasionally without any triggers]

When I see mannequins up close [not picture], or when I'm surrounded by mirrors, I instantly lose my train of thought, and the ddd episode starts. But if I'm prepared to see mannequins or mirrors, it's perfectly fine. For example, I can go to a clothing store and be okay because I was prepared; but when I enter a room and don't expect to see a mannequin or lots of mirrors there, I get depersonalization.

And sometimes [very rarely] videos or audios can be a trigger for me. Like, there are a few videos on the Internet that I can't watch because it has parts that trigger my ddd even though I'm prepared for what's coming.

As far as I know, ddd is often associated with childhood trauma, depression or drug abuse etc., but I'm healthy both mentally and physically. I don't have anxiety either. And I don't have a phobia of mannequins nor mirrors. So I don't know why it happens to me often. Do you guys also have certain triggers? Or could this be another mental disorder that's similar to ddd?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I used to have short episodes of ddd since I was little. Grocery store lights would almost always trigger it for some reason. Being in extremely crowded, noisy, and hot environments also triggered it. It is definitely normal to have triggers

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I had brief spells of what I termed "depersonalization" which were intense and frightening, but usually lasted less than 2 minutes. I also experienced confusion in large department stores due to

the mirrors and shiny displays. The mirrors and glitter could trigger a spell. I had an EEG which showed I was having focal temporal lobe seizures. I was diagnosed

with an epileptic syndrome. The temporal lobe of my brain showed pathology. Apparently, my damaged temporal lobe couldn't handle the overload of stimuli found in a typical box department store.

I also attribute my lack of resonance with my mirror image to my temporal lobe pathology.
As for triggers, during the epileptic discharges with my TL seizure, I experienced a hallucination which I discovered
has a name. "Dolly Zoom Vision". Essentially, when the discharge occurred, it warped my vision such that it appeared
I was suddenly looking through binoculars from the wrong end. Things "zoomed away" and became very small, as if
at the far end of a long tunnel. This "view": only lasted a second or so, but my brain's focal point of the seizure would immediately begin tensing
again, and 4 or 5 seconds later I would have another discharge and this went on every 4 or 5 seconds for 3 minutes or so. As a result, tunnels became
a triggering event for severe anxiety. I hated to go in them, and couldn't get through them fast enough. My heart rate would increase
and I would be on the verge of passing out. Maybe I was holding my breath? I don't know. But tunnels take me back to those horrifying moments
when epileptic discharges were modifying my perception of myself and my environment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh yes I have triggers. showers causes my DP/DR to worsen. Bright lights, strobe lights, Stress, Anxiety (which of course makes my DP/DR worsen), Also, If someone I love like a family member comes to me and says they have to tell me something that often triggers it cause I automatically think the worse possible thing. Usually, it isn't a big deal but there you have it. Also, anything that surprises me like someone coming up behind me and scaring me that triggers me as well. basically if not expecting it to happen? it triggers me. Sometimes I feel like I'm just a ball of anxiety.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any sort of strobe light, even cop lights, extreme happiness, any sort of anxiety or being sad for a while. If I start thinking about my past, smoking pot, mirrors or reflections that I can see my face, being too hot, if I’m around a lot of people, when I feel like I said something wrong I sometimes will repeat it over and over which causes it, or if I forget to do something important. Driving is a huge one for me, I’ve stopped driving because I can’t handle feeling like I’ll end up killing somebody because of the vision. Sometimes just being in a car or going outside will make it worse. The summer is the worse for me because of the heat and sun being so bright. If I’m not wearing sunglasses I’ll probably have a freak out, which makes it start. It is pretty tiring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts