Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit difficult to describe, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. During my first dp/dr episode 10 years ago, I don't recall this having this symptom, but back then the dr was so much stronger than it is now I find it plausible that I just didn't notice this symptom in the face of the dr.

I'll try to describe it, but it's hard. I guess the easiest part to describe is the fact that sometimes, when people are talking to me, I don't "immediately" absorb the content of what they're saying, and I find myself automatically "repeating" what they said in my head. This is done involuntarily almost, it's weird. I've also noticed that this doesn't happen all the time: sometimes I don't do the "repeating" part, but then I end up feeling like I'm just responding on "autopilot," almost as if my responses were just "automated" somehow. God it's weird, I'm sorry I don't have a more precise description. This general feeling applies to other things like reading and writing sentences, but it's much more difficult to describe in those contexts.

I sometimes wonder if this is, in essence, the experience of derealization applied to a certain internal thought process that normally exists at a more subconscious level. For instance, dr makes one feel that certain environments are alien or unfamiliar, almost like the components of these environments that we recognize subconsciously but never actively think about have been brought to the front and because they normally are not present at the "front," they seem alien. I do not walk into my apartment and contemplate its familiarity, it is just given, it exists at a somewhat subconscious level.

Similarly, I wonder if this experience of "repeating" what is heard is just derealization applied to a process that normally exists subconsciously. This is all speculation though, I'm mostly just wondering if others have experienced this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have this same problem and it makes me feel stupid. I highly relate to the wondering part too, because I really want to fix this. I have to admit, it actually calms me down knowing someone is struggling with this too. For me, I always think it’s simply because I hardly exist in the present, but that’s kinda what DP is. It’s dp that affects my ability to comprehend information, not me. I’d like to talk about this more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts