Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone on here disclosed to their employer that they have depersonalization/derrealization? What's your experience been?

I am currently able to work but I'm stuck in a dead-end desk job, after giving up on pursuing a career in the industry I got an undergraduate degree in a couple of years ago. Even though I managed to graduate with a 2:1, my last year of university was a real struggle ( after I also had to retake a year because of a really rough patch with DPD). This completely put me off trying to get a job in the highly competitive industry I studied for, feeling like I would be unable to cope with the pressure, the fast-pace and the harsh feedback. I also needed to build a portfolio in order to apply for these jobs and I completely lack the motivation and ability concentrate and focus to do this, even though I still find the work enjoyable.

I have settled for desk jobs that are not as demanding, but in order to progress to a better salary, I still need to be able to perform well. I am scared that my DPD symptoms will affect any job I might apply for that brings decent money, as I don't have great memory, it takes me a long time to learn new things, my concentration is terrible and I can barely manage my time. I didn't used to struggle with this at all before my DPD got more severe.

At the same time, I can't bare the idea of doing the type mind numbing work I do right now. I know I'm not stupid, but I feel like my DPD is preventing me from achieving what I want. I just feel stuck.

My dilemma is, do I disclose to any potential employers that I have DPD so that they can accommodate for my symptoms? I am afraid that they would think I am just not able to do the job if I tell them about this. I also tend to overestimate what I am capable of doing, I feel silly saying that my DPD is disabling even though I do struggle with a lot of things, but I do have a job and can just about cope with every day tasks.

I have never been in this situation and don't know what an employer might be willing to do as a reasonable adjustment either.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well, I suppose that depends on your situation. When I was still trying to work, before I had to go on disability, I had to tell my employer my issues because I just couldn't do my job duties as described (and this was probably the only type of job I could even remotely have an opportunity to do with my symptoms). As a result, they reduced my duties to things that I could still do (though still not well). In other words, I needed support in order to have an income and support myself.

You said in your post that you are still able to do the work, and that you are looking to move up in your career (even if it isn't your chosen profession). If that is the case, then I would not recommend telling them. There doesn't seem to be an positive in you doing so, and it will almost definitely prevent you from advancing. Let me know if I got the situation wrong, but my point is, you have to ask what you are hoping to gain from telling them, and whether doing so is likely to help or hurt your chances of achieving your goals.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Depends what your symptoms are. If it is anxiety that effects you or depression it may be easier to get your doctor to put that on a note, amd easier for your employer to understand (perhaps). How does it affect you doing your job?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts