Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
"I think ,therefore I am"
Descartes said that in fact he can doubt everything ,just because he is seeing something does not have to be existing ,because maybe a daemon is deceiving him.

The only thing he can be sure of is the "I" the essence that is doubting.

Because you can't doubt the existence of yourself ,because the action of doubting requires the doubter.
If you doubt everything ,the only thing you cant doubt is yourself because you are the one doubting.

What do you think made him dwell in those thoughts ?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Jean-Paul Sartre - "The consciousness that says 'I am' is not the consciousness that thinks."

We have awareness of thought but sometimes I seemingly have control of thoughts and sometimes I am just watching. Thoughts aren't a problem though. It's just a ride:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fact that a human is aware that he is thinking ,or is thinking that he is thinking proves to me that thoughts are just a part of the human ,not sure whether physical or more spiriual (soul) ,just like any other limb

·
Registered
251 Posts
"I think ,therefore I am"
Descartes said that in fact he can doubt everything ,just because he is seeing something does not have to be existing ,because maybe a daemon is deceiving him.

The only thing he can be sure of is the "I" the essence that is doubting.

Because you can't doubt the existence of yourself ,because the action of doubting requires the doubter.
If you doubt everything ,the only thing you cant doubt is yourself because you are the one doubting.

What do you think made him dwell in those thoughts ?
Doubt it. Rene was not the only existential philosopher..I think every philosopher was existential in one way or the other. His main interests were Metaphysics and Epistemology, the former being a very broad subject which most philosophers elaborated on.

I would assume this would be a natural logical progression of things...you question the world around you, soon enough you question yourself.

One doesn't have to be DP though. DP just augments that eerie sensation of, you know...being alive! :/

But Rene was a bit outlandish with his ideology. The fact that "demons" could have been deceiving him complicated things.

I tend to favor Occam's razor on this one and set aside what could be highly dubious and face the facts with a simpler possibility.

I see things and they do exist. Whether objectively from me they do not exist, presents a paradoxical problem.
One that is easily solved by accepting that all knowledge and senses are subjective to you and that objectively anything outside of our realm

of experience and perception that might seem contrary to our natural world, is futile to contemplate for it is either an imaginative wilderness or a wild imagination.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doubt it. Rene was not the only existential philosopher..I think every philosopher was existential in one way or the other. His main interests were Metaphysics and Epistemology, the former being a very broad subject which most philosophers elaborated on.

I would assume this would be a natural logical progression of things...you question the world around you, soon enough you question yourself.

One doesn't have to be DP though. DP just augments that eerie sensation of, you know...being alive! :/

But Rene was a bit outlandish with his ideology. The fact that "demons" could have been deceiving him complicated things.
I tend to favor Occam's razor on this one and set aside what could be highly dubious and face the facts with a simpler possibility.

I see things and they do exist. Whether objectively from me they do not exist, presents a paradoxical problem.
One that is easily solved by accepting that all knowledge and senses are subjective to you and that objectively anything outside of our realm
of experience and perception that might seem contrary to our natural world, is futile to contemplate for it is either an imaginative wilderness or a wild imagination.
When we use words such as imagination ,fiction and mind (which is an abstract word ,no one knows what or where the mind really is) aren't we using terms that come from inside us humans ?
Lets say I assume the external world is an imagination ,I have just used the word imagination ,when I look at a table and say it is an imagination of my "mind" it has no effect on the table.
What if I am an imagination of the external world ?
When a storm is coming towards my house ,the storm is an imagination of my mind ,now I wish that it changes its direction ,but thia will not happen ,i hadno effect on the storm but the storm had an effect on me ,it caused destruction as it wished.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know but that phrase ('dubito ergo cogito ergo sum') has always helped me battle off the feeling of unreality. It's a very comforting phrase for me, and an idea that definitely has significance in regards to dp/dr. I question many things, probably every time I encounter something new I try to approach it with an open but critical mindset, but like many of you probably know, questioning your own existence like that will only lead to anxiety if taken to the extreme. That's why I find it really helpful to remember that phrase, because it essentially proves that there's no reason to be afraid, because I am really here, and I exist.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know but that phrase ('dubito ergo cogito ergo sum') has always helped me battle off the feeling of unreality. It's a very comforting phrase for me, and an idea that definitely has significance in regards to dp/dr. I question many things, probably every time I encounter something new I try to approach it with an open but critical mindset, but like many of you probably know, questioning your own existence like that will only lead to anxiety if taken to the extreme. That's why I find it really helpful to remember that phrase, because it essentially proves that there's no reason to be afraid, because I am really here, and I exist.
Do you think people would still get scared if they changed the meanings of some words:
Reality = fried fish
Mind = electromagnetic data field
DP = bad lack of sleep
DR = incoming data delay

·
Registered
821 Posts
Do you think people would still get scared if they changed the meanings of some words:
Reality = fried fish
Mind = electromagnetic data field
DP = bad lack of sleep
DR = incoming data delay
Absolutely. I would recommend all Doctors give this advice to people who first come to them with the symptoms. Cos more often they go away (getting stuck like this is rare, but severe anxiety about the symptoms keeps it going!). And it's not like it's a lie. It is the symptom of a tired and anxious mind.

I think part of the issue is we NEED these symptoms to feel better. It is the mind healing. But the healing process doesn't look how we want it to and isn't on a linear track to getting better each day. It's up and down and learning to give yourself REAL time and patience and accepting these symptoms as just a tired mind healing...

Now. I don't know if I heard that when I first developed this it would have 'saved me'. Probably not. I have chronic DP and in my case and others (not all) that was caused by extreme childhood trauma. Therapy and drugs that help with insight (psychedelics) are helping me (that is NOT a recommendation though). Mushrooms are helping untie knots of trauma deep in my abdomen though where it affects my breathing and no doubt a lot of physiological processes. No other technique or medication has been successful and consistently helped to untie those knots as shrooms... and I hate that I have to say that because it also comes with a big risk and also got some people into this mess.

Even weed is seen as a psychedelic by some. I think the issue is that these drugs that are in that class such as weed, shrooms, lsd and ecstasy (to an extent) cause and could cure the issue. But that is a big statement. I do believe it to be true though.. I think psychedelics have the potential to open your mind up and give you some truths be they personal or in relationships or even repressed memories.. when that happens, if you don't have the tools ready (psychological understanding through reading/therapy) the ego doubles down and BAM! DP/DR... But this is one theory for SOME people with chronic dp/Dr.. it is true for me anyway

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But at least he refuted DP completely.

"I think therefore I am"

So I can think and doubt everything ,but I cannot doubt my own existence ,because the act of doubting needs a doubter.

Now we need someone to refute Solipsism.
I think the problem with not being able to refute Solipsism is because no one knows what conaciousness is ,and no one knowz what the mind really is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts