Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone feel detached from their voice? I have been dealing with this horrible sensation since around 2001. When my DP/Depression is at its worst, this sensation is horrible. Like I am talking and can carry on a conversation, but feel soooo detached from the words. It causes me to avoid answering the phone at times, avoid speaking to people, only saying as much as I need too, etc. I hate it so much. And I'm constantly thinking about it everytime I talk and/or have to talk.

Anyone else?

Anyone know how to get rid of this? I hate it.

Thanks and take care.

Kelson

G

·
go in your bedroom and put your face in your pillow and scream really really loud and get mad...im serious...it makes it go away...

G

·
Hi Kelson,

It was my first symptom, first one. I didn't like to hear my voice.

Talk to Janine, maybe she will help to get rid of this. For me meds worked (only for that) :)

Take care Kelson,

Cynthia xxx

G

·
Many of us here can understand what you're describing. Often times my voice feel foreign to me. Even sometimes when I post here, it seems like it's not really me doing it. All forms of communicating can be affected.
The only thing that has worked for me is to try to listen to other person more. Try to understand what they are saying. That seems to take a little focus off the strangeness of hearing my own voice.

One funny thing - many people have told me I have a nice voice. That I'm very relaxing to listen to. Only wish it relaxed ME.
Janine - you've heard me talk, what do you think?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. It used to go away when I would have an "up" week when my depression/anxiety and DP subside, but I haven't had one of those in a long time. :(

I'm stiiiiiiill waiting for this Zoloft to kick in. But each day it doesn't, I slowly begin to lose hope.

Kinna just going through life as one big dull emotion. No happy, no sad. Just detached, yet still pushing on. And my concentration is a bitch right now. I think I am setting a new record for most times staring into space. Gotta love it.

Thanks again.

Kelson

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah I've been getting that really bad lately. Last night I almost had a panic attack because of it. I feel like i'm heading towards a catatonic state or something. Each day I get more and more detached. and It doesnt come back. It just keeps getting worse without getting better.

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and I swear to you I lost my sense of self completely for a minute or two. I was a stranger in my mind trying to figure out who I was.

I'm seriously losing it big time. I can't go outside anymore.

G

·
I have that feeling alot, I avoided calling my doctor one day because of it. I suggest taking a few deep breaths and trying to do what you're going to do anyway, try not to avoid stuff, it makes your world smaller

G

·
One of the most important realizations I came to while trying to recover from this horror is this: there is an UNlimited number of atrocious sensations and thoughts that can accompany mental symptoms.

The voice can sound bizarre (like it's not yours, or hollow or somehow echoing wrong, etc.)

Visually, the sky's the limit for what the brain can cook up to freak us out - flat, 2-d looking world, familiar things and people do not look familiar, things look too bright, things look too dim, shiny things glimmer around us, floaters float, the sky is too far away, or too close, the horizon looks odd. Things beside you look far away, etc..etc. and etc.

Then add in the balance/body in space nuttiness, and you've got an entire other paragraph.

The BEST thing you guys can do for yourselves is to NOT be surprised when/if some new manifestation of this horror shows itself. Do not label it, or observe it, or try to "figure it out." Do not give it ANY more attention that is absolutely necessary (i.e., the "oh, my GOD, this is so scary" part that you can't avoid)

As soon as you start Playing around with it, showing interest in it, asking if others "have" it, etc. you are feeding it warm and tasty milk to thrive on.

The kinds of thoughts, ideas, emotions, physical sensations, and feelings that we can come up with in these states are POWERFUL and BIZARRE. There is NOTHING to be gained from focusing on them as specific "symptoms" - they are all part and parcel of the SAME symptom which is anxiety and/or dp states of dissociation.

The more you think about "why this one? and why not that one?" the more you are feeding them. Symptoms THRIVE on your focus. They shrivel and die from apathy.

Love,
Janine

p.s. forgot to answer the most important question:
YES, sc sounds more than normal - warm and witty and charming. No one would in a million years have any clue he's as "ahem..." squirrely as he seems to truly be. Big hug

·
Registered
749 Posts
kelson....one of the worst things for me was the voice thing....i remember posting about it when i first came here and as i recall it was you that answered me......just except the words coming out are you and it is what you want to say....its really hard to let go of the symptoms when we question it endlessly....if i listen to myself i just want to run and hide, the panic sets in....i feel for you totally its one of the most debillitating symptoms going.....i admit i run away from the phone.....i sit quite most of the time...its all fear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts