Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help!

I have struggled with anxiety and depression my whole life but a couple weeks ago I had a horrible acute period of anxiety that spiraled out of control and turned into depression, crying a lot, no joy, everything feeling surreal, feeling trapped in my mind.

I had been on Zoloft 50mg and went off of it in a pretty short period of time. When the anxiety started I began taking them again. I thought maybe that was the cause. Fast forward a couple weeks - I've been taking the Zoloft daily so i thought it would have cured this by now - and I'm in a really scary place - I feel so numb. Nothing feels the same as it did even just a month ago. I don't feel like myself, I can hardly eat, I have severe sleep anxiety/ insomnia which is not like the normal me. I can't focus at all. I can't make decisions, I don't feel like this is my life. I don't recognize myself in the things I'm saying, I feel like I'm acting or something. I feel like I'm watching my life spiral downward and I'm not even participating in it? This is horrible. Is there anything to be done? I have been googling different things trying to understand what this is - have I snapped, is it a mental breakdown, Bipolar, OCD? How did it come on so suddenly? An article on Psychology Today about DPD sounded really close to what I am experiencing. I am going to try and reach out to a psychologist. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It sounds like you are now struggling with depersonalization/derealization due to your anxiety/depression. Just give the medication a little bit more time or you might need to go up on dose or try a different one. You need a benzo to take while you wait for the medication to start working. This hell takes time and patience. I been stuck with this crap for 7 months. I can function ok now but months 1,2,3,4, and 5 I was a total mess. Time is what has helped me the most. Now I been on medication for 5 weeks and praying I snap back to reality.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i dont know what u have, i wouldnt say u have this, maybe u do, maybe u dont, all i would say is, see ur doctor, i guess stay on ur med if it helped, sometimes it needs more time to bring u back, and sometimes u have to go thru the hell to see the good, hope u feel better, i suggest just talk to ur doctor, dont worry urself with the site, dont even think u have this, talk to ur doctor

·
Registered
382 Posts
It sounds like you are now struggling with depersonalization/derealization due to your anxiety/depression. Just give the medication a little bit more time or you might need to go up on dose or try a different one. You need a benzo to take while you wait for the medication to start working. This hell takes time and patience. I been stuck with this crap for 7 months. I can function ok now but months 1,2,3,4, and 5 I was a total mess. Time is what has helped me the most. Now I been on medication for 5 weeks and praying I snap back to reality.
hows the medication going, i think ima have to go that route

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Get help for the insomnia and anxiety. I've had 4 or 5 episodes of major depression and it can be life threatening when accompanied by insomnia and anxiety. Your body and mind need rest. I took 100mg Seroquel which worked well for insomnia. Another time, I took 100mg of amitriptyline for insomnia, and it also worked.

The Seroquel can also reduce anxiety to manageable levels. I have been on several SSRI/SNRIs and believe Lexapro has worked best for me. When you are not eating or sleeping, you need to get help. Take the meds and you will stabilize shortly. Thereafter, stay on the meds unless you have a valid reason to discontinue.

·
Registered
357 Posts
hows the medication going, i think ima have to go that route
It's actually going well. when dp/dr hit me it came with the most horrific anxiety. I was walking around with a dread/doom/panic/paranoid feeling all day long for months. And the horrific morning anxiety the minute I opened my eyes. I no longer wake up with that anxiety and the doom/panic/paranoid feeling faded. I'm still disconnected from myself and reality, and I still have intense dream vision (that I'm able to ignore better when I take Xanax) so I'm hoping that if I keep taking the medications it will snap me back to reality soon. I hope and pray......

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's actually going well. when dp/dr hit me it came with the most horrific anxiety. I was walking around with a dread/doom/panic/paranoid feeling all day long for months. And the horrific morning anxiety the minute I opened my eyes. I no longer wake up with that anxiety and the doom/panic/paranoid feeling faded. I'm still disconnected from myself and reality, and I still have intense dream vision (that I'm able to ignore better when I take Xanax) so I'm hoping that if I keep taking the medications it will snap me back to reality soon. I hope and pray......
i hope so to man, when u say ur disconnected from urself, u mean like ur personality is gone kinda? u kno i dont have to much anxiety any more, the only problem im having is, i feel numb and just dont know what to say or do, i dont feel like myself, i dont feel like talking ever, and i dont know what to say, idk man

is that what u mean?

i hope the best for u, and if ur personality starts coming back, pls god lemme kno man, it might make me wanna take that step further and go into med

thanks brotha, hope everything goes well

·
Registered
357 Posts
i hope so to man, when u say ur disconnected from urself, u mean like ur personality is gone kinda? u kno i dont have to much anxiety any more, the only problem im having is, i feel numb and just dont know what to say or do, i dont feel like myself, i dont feel like talking ever, and i dont know what to say, idk man

is that what u mean?

i hope the best for u, and if ur personality starts coming back, pls god lemme kno man, it might make me wanna take that step further and go into med

thanks brotha, hope everything goes well
That's exactly what I mean. I lost myself. My personality has been ripped from me. I feel numb. The before Dp/dr me was fun, always laughing, making people laugh, loved photography, loved cooking, food was my passion, went everywhere with my kids, goofy, loved doing my hair and makeup, and now I'm just here. Like just ridding this hell wave. Once in a while I catch myself making a joke and I get a glimpse of the old me but it fades. When this hit me I knew what it does to people and their emotions so I made sure I had my kids and husband be around me 24/7 and cuddle with them as much as possible and because of this I never lost that loving feeling for them but I can care less for anyone else. Sad but true. I know my mood is changing ever since I started this medication. I'm smiling more but I'm still not me. I'll let you know for sure if this numbness fades.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's exactly what I mean. I lost myself. My personality has been ripped from me. I feel numb. The before Dp/dr me was fun, always laughing, making people laugh, loved photography, loved cooking, food was my passion, went everywhere with my kids, goofy, loved doing my hair and makeup, and now I'm just here. Like just ridding this hell wave. Once in a while I catch myself making a joke and I get a glimpse of the old me but it fades. When this hit me I knew what it does to people and their emotions so I made sure I had my kids and husband be around me 24/7 and cuddle with them as much as possible and because of this I never lost that loving feeling for them but I can care less for anyone else. Sad but true. I know my mood is changing ever since I started this medication. I'm smiling more but I'm still not me. I'll let you know for sure if this numbness fades.
Hey, I know you posted this a while ago, but I was just wondering how you're doing. What you posted sounds just like me. Goofy, fun-loving, make-up-doin', foodie-bein' girl turned... blank. Well, not blank. I have horrible vision. I can't focus. I'm crying all the time. So, yeah. Just wondering how you're doing, and how you recovered (if you did recover). I really, really hope you recovered. I feel absolutely hopeless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts