Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had DR for 4 years. Last year or so DR had been quite dormant. I was really healthy mentally. 3 weeks ago I bonked my head on the side of pool. Imfew days later I started to feel concussed (dizzy, head ache, DR, dizzy, anxiety, stupid)... so I freaked out. I had a MRI done and there was no obvious sign of trama to my brain. However, they found that I have "Chronic Sinunitise" (sinus infection / inflammation of sinus). My doctor said that this was the reason I was feeling dizzy, concussed, and derealized.

About two week after I went to Coachella... I felt quite back to my normal dormat DR self. However, after I got back I got sick again. My sinus are still inflamed and I'm unfortunately feeling strong bits of DR again. I was at work today and I could barley talk or focus (I think I would ask the same question twice) because I felt so derealized.

I've been a honor student the last year. I've been owning my life acedemically, work wise, social wise, health wise. And sinse my DR has been stronger, I've been failing school and am just not doing good in general.

Before, when I first got this, I read stories of people having DR related to sinus issues. Ughhh I really need some knowledgeable insight and or some support and advice please.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i've had dp for 6 months. i have chronic sinusitis too. allergies .i even had polyps that were removed by surgery. idk if dp is related to that but i'm going to check for it with an ENT. i've read stories of people who snapped back to reality by sneezing into their noses or stuff like that you can search ...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had DPDR for over 2 years. I had pain in my sinuses a month before my DPDR started. When my DPDR started after having a bad panic attack, I was having issues with my sinuses and decided to use nose spray which only helped temporarily. Another thing I was experiencing with my sinus problems was nasal drip and pressure sensations in my head and ears which was very uncomfortable and it would trigger off anxiety and panic attacks which would make me feel worse. I too think there could be a connection between sinus problems causing DPDR especially derealization as I was suffering too with the dizziness, anxiety, unreality, detached and headache symptoms when I has issues with my sinuses.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yeh strange I have a popping/crackling in my ears if i dry swallow without food/water. Could be part of a systemic inflammation issue often associated with mental health issues

·
Registered
44 Posts
On the one hand it seems very interesting because i read atleast 2 ppl stories who temporarily cured their dp/dr after cleaning their sinuses.
But on the other hand isnt it just stupid? I mean, can sinus infection/inflammation cause such symptoms?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well the knock on effect can be quite dramatic. People have cured depression just by taking ibuprofen or aspirin. Literally. So I don't doubt inflammation and gut bacteria are involved. Gut bacteria then make 95% of the bodies serotonin which then affects the brain. It's ALL connected. Diet probably didn't cause dp but a change to increase beneficial bacteria has definitely helped me. Inflammation, diet, beneficial bacteria, brain chemistry, psychology, sleep quality, exercise... these are ALL part of the issue with any mental illness. Target one you might see a little benefit. Target several and more likely than not you will see improvement. That's been the case for me anyway

·
Registered
Drummer, Sound Engineer, Music
983 Posts
very interesting. Sinus infection is something I chronically have too.. interesting

·
Registered
Drummer, Sound Engineer, Music
983 Posts
I have read before about Sinus stuff with DP... personally i am getting a sinus flush soon (and maybe grommets). My frontal sinuses show up on CT and MRI as inflamed/blocked, so it will be interesting to see if the flush even has a slight effect on DP, i will come back and let you know

·
Registered
18 Posts
thats quite interesting my mri also showed up with blocked sinuses, i also get alot of clicking and popping in my ear area i cant tell if its my jaw or its fluid behind my ear. will need to let me know :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
i've had dp for 6 months. i have chronic sinusitis too. allergies .i even had polyps that were removed by surgery. idk if dp is related to that but i'm going to check for it with an ENT. i've read stories of people who snapped back to reality by sneezing into their noses or stuff like that you can search ...
you serious??

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have sinus issues along with DP DR (also withdrawing from Klonopin)
I'm also experiencing phantom smells and my taste is off and I have ocular migraines. Somebody told me this can be because of my sinuses. So it makes sense to me that if sinusitis can cause all thes issues, that it only stands to reason that it could also be connected to my DPDR.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have sinus issues along with DP DR (also withdrawing from Klonopin)
I'm also experiencing phantom smells and my taste is off and I have ocular migraines. Somebody told me this can be because of my sinuses. So it makes sense to me that if sinusitis can cause all thes issues, that it only stands to reason that it could also be connected to my DPDR.
What are your thoughts?
Phantom smells and migraines are common symptoms of brain tumour and temporal lobe dysfunction / epilepsy. So is DP. Get yourself checked out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Phantom smells and migraines are common symptoms of brain tumour and temporal lobe dysfunction / epilepsy. So is DP. Get yourself checked out.
I saw a neurologist Monday, he scheduled a MRI
He and my psychiatrist believe this is all from Benzo Withdrawal Syndrome or PAWS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeh strange I have a poppig/crackling in my ears if i dry swallow without food/water. Could be part of a systemic inflammation issue often associated with mental health issues
I've had DPDR for over 2 years. I had pain in my sinuses a month before my DPDR started. When my DPDR started after having a bad panic attack, I was having issues with my sinuses and decided to use nose spray which only helped temporarily. Another thing I was experiencing with my sinus problems was nasal drip and pressure sensations in my head and ears which was very uncomfortable and it would trigger off anxiety and panic attacks which would make me feel worse. I too think there could be a connection between sinus problems causing DPDR especially derealization as I was suffering too with the dizziness, anxiety, unreality, detached and headache symptoms when I has issues with my sinuses.
How are you now I have same symptoms it's scary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts