Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
just thought id see what everyones opinion is on depression as far as dp goes.
i know i get really really depressed and i wonder if it is in fact depression thats causing my dp, or is it the dp thats causing the depression.
i think the 2 are both very closely linked, alongside anxiety.
im currently on anti-d's but they arnt really helping much with anything, i may try a new one, so far ive tried zoloft and avanza (rameron in the us, i think).
anyways before i start a new topic here, just thought id see what everyone elses feelings are regarding depression and dp.
cheers
Luke.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hi guys
just thought id see what everyones opinion is on depression as far as dp goes.
i know i get really really depressed and i wonder if it is in fact depression thats causing my dp, or is it the dp thats causing the depression.
i think the 2 are both very closely linked, alongside anxiety.
im currently on anti-d's but they arnt really helping much with anything, i may try a new one, so far ive tried zoloft and avanza (rameron in the us, i think).
anyways before i start a new topic here, just thought id see what everyone elses feelings are regarding depression and dp.
cheers
Luke.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I believe there is a strong link between serotonin and dp/dr.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I believe there is a strong link between serotonin and dp/dr.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm not so sure about the serotonin thing, as I have been on antidepressant Remeron (mirtazapine) 30 mg now since spring 2001 and that's why I am not depressed anymore. However, the lack of depression hasn't had any effect on my DP/DR.

Indeed I have come to think it is possible that no antidepressant may help me with the feelings of DP/DR, as even MDMA (Ecstasy) doesn't diminish the feeling of being inside my invisible icy wall - and MDMA causes a sudden serotonin rush in the brains by blocking the reuptake of serotonin and entering the neuron causing the release of serotonin. I have come to think if DP/DR would be only serotonin-dependent, in that case I should feel DP/DR free every time I'm on MDMA. That's why I don't think serotonin is linked too strongly with my DP/DR.

But about depression and depersonalization, I became depressed soon after I started feeling DP/DR and the depression lasted about 12 years. When Remeron lifted me from depression, I still feel the isolating icy wall of depersonalization around me, and have felt like this now for 15 years' time. But I'm aware this is only my case, so somebody else's DP may be diminished by antidepressants. I think depersonalization is strongly linked with anxiety, and I have noticed having quite massive amount of anxiety inside, which is hidden/trapped by DP/DR. So I guess in my case it would be necessary to start processing my feelings of anxiety and the causes of it.

These are my little thoughts on the subject...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm not so sure about the serotonin thing, as I have been on antidepressant Remeron (mirtazapine) 30 mg now since spring 2001 and that's why I am not depressed anymore. However, the lack of depression hasn't had any effect on my DP/DR.

Indeed I have come to think it is possible that no antidepressant may help me with the feelings of DP/DR, as even MDMA (Ecstasy) doesn't diminish the feeling of being inside my invisible icy wall - and MDMA causes a sudden serotonin rush in the brains by blocking the reuptake of serotonin and entering the neuron causing the release of serotonin. I have come to think if DP/DR would be only serotonin-dependent, in that case I should feel DP/DR free every time I'm on MDMA. That's why I don't think serotonin is linked too strongly with my DP/DR.

But about depression and depersonalization, I became depressed soon after I started feeling DP/DR and the depression lasted about 12 years. When Remeron lifted me from depression, I still feel the isolating icy wall of depersonalization around me, and have felt like this now for 15 years' time. But I'm aware this is only my case, so somebody else's DP may be diminished by antidepressants. I think depersonalization is strongly linked with anxiety, and I have noticed having quite massive amount of anxiety inside, which is hidden/trapped by DP/DR. So I guess in my case it would be necessary to start processing my feelings of anxiety and the causes of it.

These are my little thoughts on the subject...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a traumatic drug experience, had a panic attack, developed acute/chronic anxiety and the brain countered all this by resetting itself in dp mode - which makes me very depressed

sure I got down before I had dp like everyone else but only in response to certain stressful situations like the unwanted end of a relationship, parental fighting/abuse/divorce - living with a bunch of small minded self-validating northern gits - that aside I was a cheerful, outgoing and highly sociable creature

my REAL depression followed my dp - no doubt about that

I think the brain's decision to 'reset' itself is a complex process that one treatment is unlikely to undo - often a new drug knocks my dp off balance for a few days and then it adapts and reasserts itself

it has a life of its own and i hate it

rob

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a traumatic drug experience, had a panic attack, developed acute/chronic anxiety and the brain countered all this by resetting itself in dp mode - which makes me very depressed

sure I got down before I had dp like everyone else but only in response to certain stressful situations like the unwanted end of a relationship, parental fighting/abuse/divorce - living with a bunch of small minded self-validating northern gits - that aside I was a cheerful, outgoing and highly sociable creature

my REAL depression followed my dp - no doubt about that

I think the brain's decision to 'reset' itself is a complex process that one treatment is unlikely to undo - often a new drug knocks my dp off balance for a few days and then it adapts and reasserts itself

it has a life of its own and i hate it

rob

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
As always, we come in all flavors. We are all unique. With myself, when this started in childhood, I experienced DP/DR, brought it on myself and could "shake it off" but it didn't frighten me. But it was "odd". I was also depressed and anxious.

For me it seems the 3, the DP/DR, depression and anxiety are part of a package. But the frustrating thing is I have

1. endogenous depression -- biochemical or whatever you want to call it
2. reactive depression -- that is I AM depressed from living this long w/DP/DR, the bulk of my life.

Some whose primary condition like depression, panic, OCD is treated also lose the DP/DR in the process. Others don't. Can't explain that.

But there are different ways DP can manifest itself. My sense is it's a "package deal" that tends to stick around. I recently reread an article by Dr. Simeon where she finds that DP/DR doesn't appear to occur in a vacuum. It is accompanied by anxiety and depression. Anxiety and depression can be the result of chronic emotional stress, or trauma. It also can simply be a biochemical illness such as schizophrenia, bipolar, OCD, etc., etc.

IMHO
Best,
D :shock:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
As always, we come in all flavors. We are all unique. With myself, when this started in childhood, I experienced DP/DR, brought it on myself and could "shake it off" but it didn't frighten me. But it was "odd". I was also depressed and anxious.

For me it seems the 3, the DP/DR, depression and anxiety are part of a package. But the frustrating thing is I have

1. endogenous depression -- biochemical or whatever you want to call it
2. reactive depression -- that is I AM depressed from living this long w/DP/DR, the bulk of my life.

Some whose primary condition like depression, panic, OCD is treated also lose the DP/DR in the process. Others don't. Can't explain that.

But there are different ways DP can manifest itself. My sense is it's a "package deal" that tends to stick around. I recently reread an article by Dr. Simeon where she finds that DP/DR doesn't appear to occur in a vacuum. It is accompanied by anxiety and depression. Anxiety and depression can be the result of chronic emotional stress, or trauma. It also can simply be a biochemical illness such as schizophrenia, bipolar, OCD, etc., etc.

IMHO
Best,
D :shock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts