Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure I have Depression and Anxiety with DP as a symptom. My doctor and I came to this conclusion a long while back. So this is nothing new to me. But, I am posting again cause I have been feeling HORRIBLE this week. Just plain HORRIBLE! Been feeling pretty decent for the past couple months, but then last week it just hit again like an oncoming train. Alot of stuff on my mind right now that I think is causing it, plus I think the chemicals are inbalanced a little bit due to some of the drinking I have been doing here and there.
Does anyone experience DP only as a symptom?
Does anyone know of a good depression/anxiety forum like this one?

I did find one forum called TrappedMinds.org, but it is huuuuuge and kinna overwhealming.

Thoughts on this are appreciated! Thanks and take care.

Kelson

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am pretty sure I have Depression and Anxiety with DP as a symptom. My doctor and I came to this conclusion a long while back. So this is nothing new to me. But, I am posting again cause I have been feeling HORRIBLE this week. Just plain HORRIBLE! Been feeling pretty decent for the past couple months, but then last week it just hit again like an oncoming train. Alot of stuff on my mind right now that I think is causing it, plus I think the chemicals are inbalanced a little bit due to some of the drinking I have been doing here and there.
Does anyone experience DP only as a symptom?
Does anyone know of a good depression/anxiety forum like this one?

I did find one forum called TrappedMinds.org, but it is huuuuuge and kinna overwhealming.

Thoughts on this are appreciated! Thanks and take care.

Kelson

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi Kelson

I'm interested in what your doc thinks on this subject. I've been trying to work out if my dp is a symtpom or not. Im not even sure if it is possible for it to just be a symptom. eg like how panic attacks quite often involve a feeling of dp/dr but once the panic attack's gone, some people are fine afterwards.
But from what I can tell, the main theory is that you develop the ability to dissociate from trauma or incidents in your life and then something triggers it afterwards so you get panic attacks and anxiety. And so the cycle starts. Sometimes Im convinced that mine is literally a defence mechanism for the there and then, as it is episodic, only under severe stress and sometimes not for years at a time. And that to get over this I need to look at why I get such extreme anxiety. When I reflect on my lpast, I can see why I may be an anxious person, and why I may give my negative thoughts too much credit. But cannot relate dp to any particular incidents as my childhood was relatively uneventful and happy.
Im not sure whether to look at why I get anxiety or why I dissociate?!?
Do you know what I mean? Perhaps going down both routes ends up in the same place?
Do you have this conundrum?

Anyway, as for reducing anxiety, I have found many books that explain the bodily/mind's functions and why we react the way we do have helped. I dont let my body 'fool' me into thinking a certain way as much, now that I understand exactly what is happening. Do you talk to someone about why you might be depressed?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi Kelson

I'm interested in what your doc thinks on this subject. I've been trying to work out if my dp is a symtpom or not. Im not even sure if it is possible for it to just be a symptom. eg like how panic attacks quite often involve a feeling of dp/dr but once the panic attack's gone, some people are fine afterwards.
But from what I can tell, the main theory is that you develop the ability to dissociate from trauma or incidents in your life and then something triggers it afterwards so you get panic attacks and anxiety. And so the cycle starts. Sometimes Im convinced that mine is literally a defence mechanism for the there and then, as it is episodic, only under severe stress and sometimes not for years at a time. And that to get over this I need to look at why I get such extreme anxiety. When I reflect on my lpast, I can see why I may be an anxious person, and why I may give my negative thoughts too much credit. But cannot relate dp to any particular incidents as my childhood was relatively uneventful and happy.
Im not sure whether to look at why I get anxiety or why I dissociate?!?
Do you know what I mean? Perhaps going down both routes ends up in the same place?
Do you have this conundrum?

Anyway, as for reducing anxiety, I have found many books that explain the bodily/mind's functions and why we react the way we do have helped. I dont let my body 'fool' me into thinking a certain way as much, now that I understand exactly what is happening. Do you talk to someone about why you might be depressed?

G

·
umm, DP/DR is mostly ALWAYS a symptom, in very few cases does it just appear by itself with no other symptoms. Its always listed as a symptom of anxiety & depression. I know now that i have terrible anxiety which is probably one of the causes of the DP/DR or whatever it is that i have.

G

·
umm, DP/DR is mostly ALWAYS a symptom, in very few cases does it just appear by itself with no other symptoms. Its always listed as a symptom of anxiety & depression. I know now that i have terrible anxiety which is probably one of the causes of the DP/DR or whatever it is that i have.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments. I just know that when my Depression starts to come on and my anxiety increases, I sink deeper and deeper into my own mind. I don't feel attached to the things around me and actually my own body at that. I just feel like I am living inside my own depressed head and NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. I MEAN NOTHING. Over the last week I've lost interest in everything. I mean everything. All I want to do is curl up into a little ball and sleep. But, I took a half day off from work on Thursday in the afternoon because I couldn't keep my eyes open and my concentration was non-existent so I felt no reason to be at work. But I came home and slept for like 2-3 hours and it did absolutely NOTHING! But I did go workout and run a couple miles, which I was happy about. But I am feeling so DEPRESSED right now, I don't know what I am gonna do.
It couldn't have come back at a worse time. Tomorrow early in the morning I am running on a relay team in a local marathon. I have to run 7 miles! I am in pretty good shape, but with my DP/Depression so bad, this isn't something I really want to do now. Owell, I will get through it and maybe it will give me some gratitude when I finish it.

Kelson

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments. I just know that when my Depression starts to come on and my anxiety increases, I sink deeper and deeper into my own mind. I don't feel attached to the things around me and actually my own body at that. I just feel like I am living inside my own depressed head and NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. I MEAN NOTHING. Over the last week I've lost interest in everything. I mean everything. All I want to do is curl up into a little ball and sleep. But, I took a half day off from work on Thursday in the afternoon because I couldn't keep my eyes open and my concentration was non-existent so I felt no reason to be at work. But I came home and slept for like 2-3 hours and it did absolutely NOTHING! But I did go workout and run a couple miles, which I was happy about. But I am feeling so DEPRESSED right now, I don't know what I am gonna do.
It couldn't have come back at a worse time. Tomorrow early in the morning I am running on a relay team in a local marathon. I have to run 7 miles! I am in pretty good shape, but with my DP/Depression so bad, this isn't something I really want to do now. Owell, I will get through it and maybe it will give me some gratitude when I finish it.

Kelson

·
Registered
723 Posts
hi kelson i think running will be good for you. are you on any meds? some of the ads are used to treat anxiety also

·
Registered
723 Posts
hi kelson i think running will be good for you. are you on any meds? some of the ads are used to treat anxiety also

1 - 10 of 10 Posts