Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now i am currently watching an infomercial on Anxiety & Depression ( on a sports channel oddly enough). Im not sure what its called yet, but all of these people who used to suffer from horrible anxiety are now feeling great because of these tapes that they ordered. Ahh the name of the lady is Lucinda Basset and she formed the Midwest Center For Stress & Anxiety or somethin like that. I guess she has developed a program to help people with anxiety and depression and they even mentioned obessive thinking? Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone watched the tapes? As im watching this im feeling 50/50 about it, cuz it seems kind of like a corny marketing ploy( They have all this dramatic music in the backround). They have been talking about panic attacks and anxiety and how we can control it. If you call the number you can recieve a free audio tape. My dad wants me to call up the number. I dunno though, Everyone on here is saying that doctors & meds can't help.

if they mention DP/DR i will call

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right now i am currently watching an infomercial on Anxiety & Depression ( on a sports channel oddly enough). Im not sure what its called yet, but all of these people who used to suffer from horrible anxiety are now feeling great because of these tapes that they ordered. Ahh the name of the lady is Lucinda Basset and she formed the Midwest Center For Stress & Anxiety or somethin like that. I guess she has developed a program to help people with anxiety and depression and they even mentioned obessive thinking? Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone watched the tapes? As im watching this im feeling 50/50 about it, cuz it seems kind of like a corny marketing ploy( They have all this dramatic music in the backround). They have been talking about panic attacks and anxiety and how we can control it. If you call the number you can recieve a free audio tape. My dad wants me to call up the number. I dunno though, Everyone on here is saying that doctors & meds can't help.

if they mention DP/DR i will call

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bassett is fairly well-known and not bad at all.

But...you already know the stuff her tapes will teach.

You'll be paying for, essentially, a very long version of "Focus Outward"

Peace,
J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bassett is fairly well-known and not bad at all.

But...you already know the stuff her tapes will teach.

You'll be paying for, essentially, a very long version of "Focus Outward"

Peace,
J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know. I do know you won't get any new information.

But sometimes having a tape, using the tape motivates people to actually DO what they need to do (i.e., to stop obsessing)

It can't hurt, that much I can tell you.

But you already have all the information you're really going to get. Sorry. LOL

Peace,
Janine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know. I do know you won't get any new information.

But sometimes having a tape, using the tape motivates people to actually DO what they need to do (i.e., to stop obsessing)

It can't hurt, that much I can tell you.

But you already have all the information you're really going to get. Sorry. LOL

Peace,
Janine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dunno if i should call or not, my dad keeps telling me to, but i dunno, the first tape is free so i guess i don't have much to loose.

btw, if anyone is interested the number is 1800-293-7805

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dunno if i should call or not, my dad keeps telling me to, but i dunno, the first tape is free so i guess i don't have much to loose.

btw, if anyone is interested the number is 1800-293-7805

·
Registered
413 Posts
it seems that most people with anxiety and depression KNOW what needs to be done to be helped (unless the use of meds is the only way to help)...

things like...exercise...healthy diet....relaxation and meditation....positive thinking and actions....focusing outward....keeping busy....achieving small goals at a time....they are all things we know about and that can help anxiety and depression effectively and a lot of the time work so well that the person can keep control over them....or at least help to cope better...

but it is the dp/dr that there is not much talk about...

those who have it 24/7 have been trying all the above things with usually no substancial help ( i know a lot of people feel better when doing some or all of those things but it does not really relieve many of the symptoms for many people...like anxiety can sometimes totally go away for a bit where as dp/dr does not for most people)...

maybe i am only speak for myself and i am sorry if i have offended or said anything out of place...i do not mean to talk about specific people...just generally from what i have personally heard...

from personaly experience i find that the more i try and keep busy...the more i feel like i am just trying to distract myself from the dp/dr and then the feelings get worse...

but if i just sit quietly and try to relax...my thinking goes into overload...and then feel worse again...

it is finding that something that takes the EDGE off so that you can do things normally without too much trouble...

i hope i find that something soon :(

sorry i ended but babbling as usual but i hope i made some sort of ok reply :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
it seems that most people with anxiety and depression KNOW what needs to be done to be helped (unless the use of meds is the only way to help)...

things like...exercise...healthy diet....relaxation and meditation....positive thinking and actions....focusing outward....keeping busy....achieving small goals at a time....they are all things we know about and that can help anxiety and depression effectively and a lot of the time work so well that the person can keep control over them....or at least help to cope better...

but it is the dp/dr that there is not much talk about...

those who have it 24/7 have been trying all the above things with usually no substancial help ( i know a lot of people feel better when doing some or all of those things but it does not really relieve many of the symptoms for many people...like anxiety can sometimes totally go away for a bit where as dp/dr does not for most people)...

maybe i am only speak for myself and i am sorry if i have offended or said anything out of place...i do not mean to talk about specific people...just generally from what i have personally heard...

from personaly experience i find that the more i try and keep busy...the more i feel like i am just trying to distract myself from the dp/dr and then the feelings get worse...

but if i just sit quietly and try to relax...my thinking goes into overload...and then feel worse again...

it is finding that something that takes the EDGE off so that you can do things normally without too much trouble...

i hope i find that something soon :(

sorry i ended but babbling as usual but i hope i made some sort of ok reply :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I grabbed Lucinda's tapes (converted to mp3) off a p2p file sharing app. They helped a little, but were more aimed toward the person who knows little about anxiety and is still being traumatised by the symptoms. Most of the crew here would already be well aware of the material she presents, and the numerous personal accounts (filler material) offered up by her patients can get a little monotonous. Still, worth a listen if you can get the *student* version :twisted:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I grabbed Lucinda's tapes (converted to mp3) off a p2p file sharing app. They helped a little, but were more aimed toward the person who knows little about anxiety and is still being traumatised by the symptoms. Most of the crew here would already be well aware of the material she presents, and the numerous personal accounts (filler material) offered up by her patients can get a little monotonous. Still, worth a listen if you can get the *student* version :twisted:

·
Registered
935 Posts
SoulBro,
Not sure we have conversed much, but I always read your posts and I would like to make an observation if I may!

I could be totally wrong, and I am no expert, but there is an underlying theme in your posts that I keep noticing. This is no criticism in any way, shape or form, and am purely letting you know because I believe it to be key to recovery and made the world of difference to myself. What I'm getting from you is that you believe you are beyond help.

Quote: 'Everyone on here is saying that doctors & meds can't help.'

That's just not true, there are so many people on here who advocate meds and/or therapy in getting better. I know that when you feel at your lowest you feel hopeless and that there is no way out and I'm sure conflicting/unclear messages from psych/therapist is not exactly going to help you. You appear to not notice the positives in the posts and dwell on the negatives. I did this exactly when I first read all about dp etc, everything I seemed to read on the internet was all doom and gloom. When I go back to read these articles now, I see that dp made me see only the negatives and not the positives. I almost disregarded success stories as I believed them to be so few and far between. But its just not true. Don't let yourself get bogged down by just the negative - keep it all in perspective. (either said than done - I know that)

:wink:

·
Registered
935 Posts
SoulBro,
Not sure we have conversed much, but I always read your posts and I would like to make an observation if I may!

I could be totally wrong, and I am no expert, but there is an underlying theme in your posts that I keep noticing. This is no criticism in any way, shape or form, and am purely letting you know because I believe it to be key to recovery and made the world of difference to myself. What I'm getting from you is that you believe you are beyond help.

Quote: 'Everyone on here is saying that doctors & meds can't help.'

That's just not true, there are so many people on here who advocate meds and/or therapy in getting better. I know that when you feel at your lowest you feel hopeless and that there is no way out and I'm sure conflicting/unclear messages from psych/therapist is not exactly going to help you. You appear to not notice the positives in the posts and dwell on the negatives. I did this exactly when I first read all about dp etc, everything I seemed to read on the internet was all doom and gloom. When I go back to read these articles now, I see that dp made me see only the negatives and not the positives. I almost disregarded success stories as I believed them to be so few and far between. But its just not true. Don't let yourself get bogged down by just the negative - keep it all in perspective. (either said than done - I know that)

:wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks G Funk ( nice name by the way)

Well i called up the number & my dad ordered the audio cds & video and the whole nine yards. They give you a 30 day trial period and if you don't feel that the program is working you can send it back. However if you decide to keep it the total is like 420 dollars or somethin like that. I talked to the operator on the phone first, before my pops ordered the thing and she was asking me questions and it basically sounded like she was reading a rehearsel off of a paper. I kinda had a smirk on my face the whole time. She asked if i am on meds & asked about therapy and i told her yes & she asked if i had seen any major improvements and i said no and she basically went on to guarantee that this program will help me and is a nessecity for recovery. I did however fail to mention DP/DR cuz i figured she would have no idea what i was talking about.

So i guess im gonna try this thing out and see what happens

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks G Funk ( nice name by the way)

Well i called up the number & my dad ordered the audio cds & video and the whole nine yards. They give you a 30 day trial period and if you don't feel that the program is working you can send it back. However if you decide to keep it the total is like 420 dollars or somethin like that. I talked to the operator on the phone first, before my pops ordered the thing and she was asking me questions and it basically sounded like she was reading a rehearsel off of a paper. I kinda had a smirk on my face the whole time. She asked if i am on meds & asked about therapy and i told her yes & she asked if i had seen any major improvements and i said no and she basically went on to guarantee that this program will help me and is a nessecity for recovery. I did however fail to mention DP/DR cuz i figured she would have no idea what i was talking about.

So i guess im gonna try this thing out and see what happens

·
Registered
774 Posts
That was really cool of your dad to order it for you soulbro. At least you know he does want to help you. But definitley if you feel like you aren't getting anything out of it get your $400 bucks back in 30 days. Good luck with it and I really hope it does help some :D .

·
Registered
774 Posts
That was really cool of your dad to order it for you soulbro. At least you know he does want to help you. But definitley if you feel like you aren't getting anything out of it get your $400 bucks back in 30 days. Good luck with it and I really hope it does help some :D .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts