Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I'm not exactly new to dp suffering with it for the last five months but some of my questions aren't answered which bothers me so if someone could please help that would be great. I have a fear that I have dementia recently looking at some of the symptoms of dementia. The one that scares me is that is states that you have no self award and you completely forget things and recognize people. I get feelings like that too. I see things and they look so strange or new but the difference is that I still have full memory and recognition of what that really is. It just seems strange and new at the same time. Give me some reassurance please. Is that a common dp symptom? Please help! Thank you!

Hair Arm Eye Jaw Gesture

dionwoods987654321
Mar 15 2014 03:36 PM

Like ill be looking at my mom say or my yard and it seems so strange and new to me but I still know completely what it is to where I think the difference of dementia is they don't have any recognition at all or who they are

Plant Water Gesture Tree Grass

Wendy
Mar 15 2014 03:40 PM

This is a common symptom of DP.

You're not getting dementia. That's like me saying, "Ah, I have a headache, it must be a brain tumor." - the probability of that happening is incredibly slim. You're obsessing over a symptom that you just said you do not have. A lot of visual perception problems stem from anxiety first, not some obscure disorder that you read on the internet. By the by, dementia is very rare in people under the age of 60.

No worries, man - you do not have dementia.

Hair Arm Eye Jaw Gesture

bill
Mar 15 2014 04:02 PM

You'll go through all the illness's that's for sure, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, schizophrenia etc. before you finally calm down and put it down to DP/DR or anxiety. As you take in more information and get to know the symptoms, you'll realise there's nothing to worry about (easier said than done), just try to relax, stay calm and chill.

Stay positive, stay strong and stay in touch my friend.

Hair Nose Hand Arm Eye

meccalexus48
Mar 16 2014 12:22 AM

Everything you described are all classic signs of DP. And the most reassuring is you know you're perception isn't the way the world actually is. Meaning reality functioning is still intact. Most crazy people don't know anything is wrong. I had to "like" Bill's comment about going through all the illness's before you really believe you're not going crazy. LOL-Sorry, not laughing at you just giggling about the similarities in so many of us. I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to seek therapy now. Don't waste your time trying to figure this out on your own. This isn't an problem you're going to figure out intellectually. And constantly worrying about your symptom's is likely to only make things worse. BTW, obsessive observing is another of our symptoms and in my mind the worst because its distracts you from looking at a psychological cause. Please see someone and someone who specializes in trauma; especially dissociative trauma's. At the very least. they should be able to help get your acute anxiety under control with medication or talk therapy. I know you're scared but you're not crazy. You might be really lost but a long way from crazy.

Hair Arm Eye Jaw Gesture

dionwoods987654321
Mar 16 2014 07:50 PM

I actually saw a therapist today, well counselor who knows much about disassociation and depersonalization and dealing with anxiety ect. I'm going to be starting I think what he said is cognitive therapy, not exactly sure, I haven't done much research of it at all I just know that's what I'm going to be doing. Idk if its even possible but I never had any trouble or trauma as a child. I lived a very happy life. I smoked weed and since then I've never been able to recover. The depersonalization was brought on by the weed I'm certain.

Hair Nose Hand Arm Eye

meccalexus48
Mar 18 2014 12:36 PM

Outstanding! Best of luck and let us know about your progress!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts