Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I would like to share with your something that have have helped me a lot in recovering from DP. I read the DP Guide https://www.depersonalisationguide.com/ and I am so grateful I came across it actually before it is too late. The author speaks that there is nothing called depersonalisation Disorder and speaks about how to break the cycle of DP. he also provided a step by step plan to recover from DP.

The e-book is not long or boring but really gets to the point. I advise anyone who suffer from DP to download the e-book right away. Please let me know what you think if you read it. would love to have some discussions about it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I haven't downloaded it, as I'm not willing to shell out $15 to read something that is probably not much different from all the posts I see here in the "recovery" section.

But from a glimpse of the website, I would say the contents are probably not worth reading. Just about every word on that site is complete nonsense and demonstrates that the person has no idea what they are talking about.

The most glaring example is where it is stated that DP is not truly a mental illness because it consists of simply thoughts and feelings. A couple of problems with that statement. First of all, thoughts and feelings (and behaviors) are LITERALLY THE ONLY ELEMENTS that are taken into account when considering whether a phenomenon is a mental illness, with the additional subjective consideration of whether it is "abnormal" or interferes with one's basic functioning. The description of every single "mental illness" in the DSM is simply a list of thoughts, feelings, and/or behaviors. In fact, in many definitions, a mental illness is specifically ruled out if the thoughts / feelings / behaviors can be attributed to a known organic source. In other words, if there is something wrong with your body (including the brain) causing the thoughts/feelings/behaviors, then your issue is, by definition, NOT a mental illness.

Secondly, it is my understanding that the phenomenon of depersonalization must also be accompanied by persistent, long-lasting or permanent perceptual abnormalities, and often is accompanied by subjectively experienced neuro-cognitive problems. So it's clearly not simply a matter of "thoughts and feelings". In fact, it appears as if Takla's thesis is that DP/DR is really just a particularly intense form of OCD, which I emphatically reject. However, having read many of the posts on this forum, I do think that what many people here do suffer from is some form of OCD or minor delusions (e.g., not merely describing the experience of DP in solipsistic terms, but actively concerned about the possibility of solispism being true, which intensifies their anxiety). If this is the case for you, then it's entirely possible that this "DP" guide will be helpful (as I've said, I haven't actually read it, but would gladly do so if I had access to a free copy). But for those of us whose primary complaints are perceptual, physical, and cognitive, I doubt this guide will serve as our savior.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get what you are saying. however, I think you are making DP bigger than it actually is. When i was suffering from DP, I had all kind of thoughts and feelings which was pretty scary. I really thought I was going crazy in some sense. I went to many psychiatrists and paid a lot of money with no help what so ever. Some of them didnt even know what DP is. When i downloaded the DP Guide, i really got to know what DP is and helped me recover. and regarding the 15 EUR, I paid hundreds of Dollars on psychiatrists so 15 EUR didnt matter for me. My main goal was to get rid of DP and I am on my way to recovery now. I decided to do this post as I know that DP is harsh and thought that it would be useful to share the DP Guide.

The choice is yours anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with Maysam Actually. I also read the DP Guide and have helped tremendously! he explains the the cycle of DP in great details and how DP actually starts. he also speaks about hpw thoughts and feelings are the cause of experiences. So Trauma is an experience which creates thoughts and feelings which are scary. When we obsess about those thoughts we develop DP. So what need to be done is break the obsessive cycle of DP to recover. he also give a detailed plan for recovery. So for me it was the best thing I read so far and I also think that 15 eur is not much pay.

·
Administrator
977 Posts
I haven't downloaded it, as I'm not willing to shell out $15 to read something that is probably not much different from all the posts I see here in the "recovery" section.

But from a glimpse of the website, I would say the contents are probably not worth reading. Just about every word on that site is complete nonsense and demonstrates that the person has no idea what they are talking about.

The most glaring example is where it is stated that DP is not truly a mental illness because it consists of simply thoughts and feelings. A couple of problems with that statement. First of all, thoughts and feelings (and behaviors) are LITERALLY THE ONLY ELEMENTS that are taken into account when considering whether a phenomenon is a mental illness, with the additional subjective consideration of whether it is "abnormal" or interferes with one's basic functioning. The description of every single "mental illness" in the DSM is simply a list of thoughts, feelings, and/or behaviors. In fact, in many definitions, a mental illness is specifically ruled out if the thoughts / feelings / behaviors can be attributed to a known organic source. In other words, if there is something wrong with your body (including the brain) causing the thoughts/feelings/behaviors, then your issue is, by definition, NOT a mental illness.

Secondly, it is my understanding that the phenomenon of depersonalization must also be accompanied by persistent, long-lasting or permanent perceptual abnormalities, and often is accompanied by subjectively experienced neuro-cognitive problems. So it's clearly not simply a matter of "thoughts and feelings". In fact, it appears as if Takla's thesis is that DP/DR is really just a particularly intense form of OCD, which I emphatically reject. However, having read many of the posts on this forum, I do think that what many people here do suffer from is some form of OCD or minor delusions (e.g., not merely describing the experience of DP in solipsistic terms, but actively concerned about the possibility of solispism being true, which intensifies their anxiety). If this is the case for you, then it's entirely possible that this "DP" guide will be helpful (as I've said, I haven't actually read it, but would gladly do so if I had access to a free copy). But for those of us whose primary complaints are perceptual, physical, and cognitive, I doubt this guide will serve as our savior.
Chip, I think maybe you contradicted yourself?

1) thoughts and feelings (and behaviors) are LITERALLY THE ONLY ELEMENTS that are taken into account when considering whether a phenomenon is a mental illness

2) So it's clearly not simply a matter of "thoughts and feelings

Which is it?

I'm not taking the piss, it's just that we can be our own worst enemy.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Chip, I think maybe you contradicted yourself?

1) thoughts and feelings (and behaviors) are LITERALLY THE ONLY ELEMENTS that are taken into account when considering whether a phenomenon is a mental illness
2) So it's clearly not simply a matter of "thoughts and feelings

Which is it?

I'm not taking the piss, it's just that we can be our own worst enemy.
There's no contradiction there at all. I was commenting on the writer's claim that DP is not a mental illness because it only consists of thoughts and feelings, because that is the only thing that defines a problem as a mental illness (also behaviors, as I mentioned). Then, I went on to explain that DP, as I understand it, must also be accompanied by perceptual changes. One sentence analyzes what is meant by a "mental illness", and the other attempts to describe the experience of DPDR. They are completely different points being made.

But like I said, it does seem like many (most) people here are really suffering from some form of existential OCD, considering that the thoughts and questioning reality take more prominence over perceptual, cognitive, and general functioning issues, in which case a super-charged OCD manual may be exactly what they need.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Existential OCD, that's a good way of putting it!
Which is why I'm highly skeptical that what I'm experiencing is, in fact, DPDR. I may have it, but probably as a secondary condition to an organic issue. I still frequent and try to comment on this forum though because it basically represents the community the most closely approximates how I've been feeling most of my life.

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Most people here think they are extraordinary. It can be organic, or at least triggered by something organic, like a virus or auto-immune disorder, but that's rare.

It's usually part of a wider issue - nothing exists in isolation, although people will tell you that. So for many people, if you treat the anxiety/depression/OCD it will have a positive effect on the depersonalization.

·
Registered
631 Posts
In my case, it's always been obvious that the anxiety/depression (I don't have OCD tendencies) is a consequence of how I feel physically. The only reason I've questioned myself on this issue I see every doctor/teacher/coach/therapist/internet person seems to be so damn confident that is definitely psychological. Everybody else can't be wrong, can they?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Honestly if a person has gone through the hell of DP and has truly figured out a proper solution share it with the rest of us for "FREE"

Harris Harrington eat your heart out...FFS........

Ive helped and advised many people on this site over alot of years and never asked anyone for a cent...."Go figure"

F****** book plug....Trying to make a fast dollar off peoples struggles.....

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I agree with Maysam Actually. I also read the DP Guide and have helped tremendously! he explains the the cycle of DP in great details and how DP actually starts. he also speaks about hpw thoughts and feelings are the cause of experiences. So Trauma is an experience which creates thoughts and feelings which are scary. When we obsess about those thoughts we develop DP. So what need to be done is break the obsessive cycle of DP to recover. he also give a detailed plan for recovery. So for me it was the best thing I read so far and I also think that 15 eur is not much pay.
I would like you to explain exactly to all the people on here suffering with chronic and debilitating DP for many many years how to break their obsessive thinking processes....If it was that simple for you maybe you need to share the entire process with the rest of us for "FREE"

Books DO NOT correct chemical imbalances......

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I would like to share with your something that have have helped me a lot in recovering from DP. I read the DP Guide https://www.depersonalisationguide.com/ and I am so grateful I came across it actually before it is too late. The author speaks that there is nothing called depersonalisation Disorder and speaks about how to break the cycle of DP. he also provided a step by step plan to recover from DP.

The e-book is not long or boring but really gets to the point. I advise anyone who suffer from DP to download the e-book right away. Please let me know what you think if you read it. would love to have some discussions about it.
Give it to the rest of us for "FREE"..........

·
Registered
449 Posts
Luckily for me dealing with DP for so many years has made me a "Realist"

Not an optimist and not a pessimist....A "Realist"

Its the one good thing DP has done for me...Helped me to see people, places and things in this crazy world for what they really are.....
I also think that a person who has been though DP and knows how horrible it is would not try to make money out ot it and would rather give the advices free to people who suffer from this shit . I could understand if someone is poor and has no chance of a normal job or whatever and wants some money for his book or advices so he can also pay his bills and get food/water (and printing books does also cost money dont forget) ...I am ok with that

but people who dont have money problems and want to sell you their book just to make extra money even though he/she knows how bad dp is ......then I have to tell such a person to just fuck off . I would even doubt he/she has been through dp anyway and might be a fraud . if it was me and I would have "the cure" for dp and had no money problems I would rather INVEST money instead of asking for money to give people my cure

·
Administrator
977 Posts
I would like you to explain exactly to all the people on here suffering with chronic and debilitating DP for many many years how to break their obsessive thinking processes....If it was that simple for you maybe you need to share the entire process with the rest of us for "FREE"

Books DO NOT correct chemical imbalances......
Eddy, this is so toxic, and to a new member who just had an opinion, and you speak to him like that?

Nobody owes you anything,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts