Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I been in a relationship for a while now if you have read my other entry I just need some advice and curious how other peoples' lives are with DP/DR and the support system from his or her partner. I will say my part.

My relationship is already complicated. He never really took me out and there was always excuses. He's a bit older than me so there is problems.The point is the way his personality is it just seems like he only looks out for himself.People with our condition needs someone who is interested in learning what we have, how to support, and be apart of the journey to help reconnect ourselves to ourselves and the world around us.I feel that I should have moved on before I stayed for so long to the point where I was being taken advantage due to him knowing I feel out of body. I feel like we shouldn't fear telling our partner what's wrong and not knowing how they will act next. They should be ready to help and I did not really get that.

How is it when you are with them?Do they help you with techniques to feel attached again? Does the relationship work out or is it chaotic because of your condition. And also my main problem is I push away alot because of this.Please share how you feel about your partner and their support, And if there are things you guys that helps your DP/DR. And share are you just as paranoid as I am?
sad.png

default_large.png

AliceInWonderLand96
Jul 26 2016 10:01 PM

I push a lot of people away all the time especially significant others because since I already feel disconnected to myself and this world I especially feel disconnected to them! It is really important to find someone who is comfortable with mental illnesses in general and who would be able to accept you and understand when you're having a DP/DR episode! even though that may be hard! But mostly in my own experience I feel like I cannot get into a meaningful relationship if I don't deal with my DPD first with therapy

default_large.png

yourstruly_demi
Jul 27 2016 02:09 PM

I push a lot of people away all the time especially significant others because since I already feel disconnected to myself and this world I especially feel disconnected to them! It is really important to find someone who is comfortable with mental illnesses in general and who would be able to accept you and understand when you're having a DP/DR episode! even though that may be hard! But mostly in my own experience I feel like I cannot get into a meaningful relationship if I don't deal with my DPD first with therapy
HI! I agree, it is something we must be able to cope with before we expect our partner to help and understand. I am still trying to understand things. For me my DP/DR aren't episodes it has been 24/7 for 3 years so it has been harder to live with this and deal with my daily tasks.I have melt downs but I have been more positive than usual because I am still pushing

default_large.png

Rose
Aug 26 2016 04:18 PM

I've been with the same guy for almost three years now and my DP/DR has been happening for the past three months. At first I was really scared to tell my boyfriend what was happening to me incase of him not seeing me the same way and thinking I was crazy. I spoke with my therapist about it and she convinced to tell him which was the best thing I ever did. After telling him, he became very protective of me and would ask me a lot of questions about it so he could better understand what was happening. It's been difficult having DP/DR and being in a relationship because its sort of changed the dynamics of our relationship, but at the same time I feel like I would not be in as good of a place with my DP/DR if it wasn't for him being my rock through this whole mess. DP/DR can make you think/ feel very emotionless and detatched, and i definitely felt that when I'm with him sometimes. But during the moments I don't feel that way, and I remember what it's like to love and be loved, it all worth it faking those emotions when they're not exactly present, because they indeed are there. So bottom line, if the guy really likes you/ cares about you, you should always be honest and explain everything to him. Because the chances are that he'll surprise you and be understanding. Plus it's a great bonding thing in its own twisted and sick kind of way. Good luck.

default_large.png

yourstruly_demi
Aug 27 2016 11:04 AM

I've been with the same guy for almost three years now and my DP/DR has been happening for the past three months. At first I was really scared to tell my boyfriend what was happening to me incase of him not seeing me the same way and thinking I was crazy. I spoke with my therapist about it and she convinced to tell him which was the best thing I ever did. After telling him, he became very protective of me and would ask me a lot of questions about it so he could better understand what was happening. It's been difficult having DP/DR and being in a relationship because its sort of changed the dynamics of our relationship, but at the same time I feel like I would not be in as good of a place with my DP/DR if it wasn't for him being my rock through this whole mess. DP/DR can make you think/ feel very emotionless and detatched, and i definitely felt that when I'm with him sometimes. But during the moments I don't feel that way, and I remember what it's like to love and be loved, it all worth it faking those emotions when they're not exactly present, because they indeed are there. So bottom line, if the guy really likes you/ cares about you, you should always be honest and explain everything to him. Because the chances are that he'll surprise you and be understanding. Plus it's a great bonding thing in its own twisted and sick kind of way. Good luck.
Good Morning, I am very glad he supports you! I have told my boyfriend the moment it happened which was three years ago and he's not very good at it lol but I am glad someone can give us an example of how relationships can actually help with the DP/DR and help with the emotional detachment. Many times I just want to be with him because it is the only time I don't focus on my DR at all. I still feel it but he makes me blush,excited,happy,nervous, butterflies sometimes feelings that show I am here. So thank you for your side and I am glad for your supportive boyfriend getting you through this:)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts