Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
413 Posts
You gotta understand that feelings of DP/DR, Depression, Anxiety will always be there and everyone gets em'.

Some people get it worse then others...like people on this forum. In fact you need to have DP/DR Depression, and Anxiety in your life, but for most of us its got so out of control that it's made us sick.

I'm sure before all this crap had got out of control you can remember times when you felt unreal and depressed and anxious. But you were able to shake em' off after awhile like it was no big deal.

But now these feelings have taken over and become more of a reality then real reality. And you can shake em'.

It really takes practice to get over these disorders...lots of practice and patience. I'm doing so much better now, but it's still not easy. But me now compared to me in March is like night and day....

· Registered
1,197 Posts
Mr.Mortgage is right, I think.

My repetitive tune on this forum has long been that the thoughts themselves are quite normal. They're just lingering and malingering and making a nuisance out of themselves because we WANT them to.

Why do we WANT them to?

That's the question, not, "How can I feel like myself?"
We want them to because we are so scared of our feelings that we find DP to actually be less threatening than feeling the scary feelings.

In effect, DP is a clever defense against self-knowledge and personal responsbility.

G

·
Sorry to disagree with the majority here, but I have a completely different take on this.

I do NOT think these feelings are normal at all. Trust me, these days I certainly have all kinds of up/down moods and over the years of being recovered, I have felt fear or strong anxiety or "what will so and so think of me?" or "does he notice me?" lol....all kinds of "jitters" or concerns, etc. THAT IS normal.

But...for me, the mental states I was in during the worst of my illness were NOT like these normal emotional states. Night and day. More than night and day, different entities on different planets.

The "who am I?" or "do I exist?" or "where are my boundaries? what is me/not me?" or "will I lose total control of myself?" thoughts and anxieties never cross my mind (unless I'm writing here, lol..unless I try to recall the way I thought back when).

The kind of FEAR I used to experience was a massive fear of self-annihilation. It felt, LITERALLY FELT, that my self was leaving my body. I felt like I was going stark raving insane, and in the anxiety states, my awareness of my INNER experience was unlike anything I ever thought or felt since. I felt as different as someone on LSD would feel. And you could not say that a person on an acid trip is merely experiencing normal feelings and thoughts.

The mental symptoms state can be REGRESSIONS. If they are, they are occuring in an entirely different kind of thought process than ordinary life. They are actually closer to the dream state than to waking reality.

In a "normal" state of mind, even if something scares me ALOT (like 9-11 or something very very intense), I still have the capacity to feel my own Self. I still THINK like me, feel like me - granted, I'm petrified, but I am not petrified of the ME inside my own mind.

Mental symptoms can make someone feel like their mind has turned inside out. We see a scary movie, or a scary image, and the IMPACT of something "Creepy" or "eerie" is totally different than it is to someone not in a regressive state. We get drawn INTO "other-worldliness" in an instant - we can SLIP into a different kind of thought process - in an instant! And that does not happen to normal people - nor does it happen to recovered people. It's not a fucntion of something wrong with your BRAIN - I have the same brain I alsways had, lol.

The different experience is the result of a different KIND of thinking/feeling/experiencing - and in it, the INSIDE of our minds feel as threatening (or more so) as anything "out here' in reality. It also feels totally ALIEN to us. To have our own thoughts feel alien is not somethign a normal person feels in daily life. Those are only words and they sound so benign. But if you are feeling this, or have felt it, you know. And you know it feels like nothing in the real world.

I will never agree that the thougths and feelings of the true obsessive, or dp-er, or massive anxiety patient IN REGRESSION are the same as normal people. It is not just that we react to it more - it is very different. That is partly why "focus outward" is so important. The more INWARD we direct our attention, the more we feed that regressive state. Directing attention OUTward more often than inward forces the mind to reinstate itself - out of the regressive state; Will that always make DP disappear? I don't know. But it gets you out of the regression and I have heard many many people swear that it is what also obliterates the trance state of dp.

· Registered
525 Posts
The different experience is the result of a different KIND of thinking/feeling/experiencing - and in it, the INSIDE of our minds feel as threatening (or more so) as anything "out here' in reality. It also feels totally ALIEN to us. To have our own thoughts feel alien is not somethign a normal person feels in daily life. Those are only words and they sound so benign. But if you are feeling this, or have felt it, you know. And you know it feels like nothing in the real world.
Totally alien to us. I hate that feeling when reality is so different. No normal person will ever understand this. I say to people that my thoughts don't feel like my own and they look at me so strange. It's such scary sh*t. Janine you always articulate this state so well. Each time you post it keeps reminding me to 'focus outwards'. Please keep on reminding us!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.