Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The worst part of DP/DR is the removal of one from their life. All that you once held dear, true and real becomes dead, false and fake. This is the deepest pain. It's like a void is in between you and your life, and no matter how much you scream or wish or desire, you cannot extend your hand through the void to even get a slight touch of this life you now realise was so sweet and so perfect. This is the deepest pain. I think it's the pain that perpetuates DP/DR in us all: this deep, excruciating longing that is so hard to satisfy.

I am now going to confess how I have dealt with this pain for the last 6 years. In fact, this is how I dealt with the pain from the very start (at least a month into the disorder), and due to the inherent cowardice and counter-productivity of this coping mechanism, my DP/DR has been perpetuated for 6 years.

Confession
I have accepted DP/DR as my reality. I have told myself the old world, my world before the DP/DR, was a stubborn and false illusion, and DP/DR has revealed me to reality. Thus, there is no pain, as life is what I am now experiencing. I still believe I have DP/DR, but it is uncertain what exactly it is. I identify it as real "thing", but what it's refers to in the world or in my mental life, I do not know.
This eradicates the longing and pain and deep grief that accompanies DP/DR, as life suddenly becomes this terrible experience, and so what have I then to long for?; what have I then to grieve over? I do it bit by bit. It is not all the symptoms at one go that I admit as my reality, it is particular ones at particular times, each dependent on what stress or longing in my life I wish to eradicate.

You might read this and think that what I am actually suffering from is the obsession of the thought that DP/DR is in fact a reality that my brain is revealing me to. This is not the case. I do not fear that possibility; instead, I accept it is true.

No more missing out, no more FOMO, no more grief and longing, no more guilt and deep sorrow and regret. It's all made mute, null. This is my coward's way out.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Surrender to WIn..........Acceptance is the first step towards recovery from any of lifes trials and tribulations....

In fact its the opposite of being cowardly...Its being brave...Brave enough to accept theirs a problem in the first place...Brave enough to face the stigma that goes hand in hand with mental ill health...Brave enough to allow yourself to be slightly different to everybody else around you...Brave enough to just be who you are....

Too many people refuse to accept this condition as part of them and as a result will fight it for many years....That fight is a losing battle unfortunately...It ironically feeds the problem instead of erradicating it....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts