Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I’m constantly fighting my mind! I do have moments of clarity, but when I don’t. I feel mentally and physically drained! I’m that type of person that can multitask, I can be playing a game/talking to someone and I can be thinking about my problems at the same time! can anyone relate? how do y’all deal with it? surprisingly my dr/anxiety doesn’t stop me from sleeping at regular hours. maybe because it’s the only time I escape my mind. which is why I try not to sleep throughout the day, because I don’t want to run away from my problems like that. but how do y’all deal with this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Surprisingly, all my symptoms went away when I went for a job interview (and then slowly came back through the following week). I guess its just obsessive thoughts, you just have to stay on your toes all the time and distract yourself. You have moments of feeling normal right? That's proof that you are still normal, nothing has changed. You just obsessively think about it, it's part of your routine. Try doing something intensive, to completely distract your mind from it, or get out more often.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Surprisingly, all my symptoms went away when I went for a job interview (and then slowly came back through the following week). I guess its just obsessive thoughts, you just have to stay on your toes all the time and distract yourself. You have moments of feeling normal right? That's proof that you are still normal, nothing has changed. You just obsessively think about it, it's part of your routine. Try doing something intensive, to completely distract your mind from it, or get out more often.
Interesting. Because job interviews are some of the worst experiences for me, and I would imagine it would be an awful experience for anyone with DP (though not necessarily those who have DR alone). Because what is worse for someone who lacks a subjective sense of self when engaging in an activity where your goal is...to sell yourself. The best job interviews I've had when I was still actively trying to work were those where they just talked about the job duties and all i had to do was say "yes I can do this" or talk about some of my accomplishments. Having them ask about my personal qualities, or talking about how I am with dealing with people and networking and what my life goals are...that's just hell on earth.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the weird thing is, I didn’t leave my house for like 2 weeks when I suddenly got dp/dr (it was like a huge episode for me) I felt crazy and anxious 24/7 and then I had to go to the grocery store. I felt anxious and everything looked off. but it wore off when I entered, I felt grounded... it’s like my mind switched to the “act normal” mode and I felt normal... since then I’ve felt a little better, but I still have thoughts about my mind and existential thoughts. but yeah, you’re definitely right. I need to completely distract my mind.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting. Because job interviews are some of the worst experiences for me, and I would imagine it would be an awful experience for anyone with DP (though not necessarily those who have DR alone). Because what is worse for someone who lacks a subjective sense of self when engaging in an activity where your goal is...to sell yourself. The best job interviews I've had when I was still actively trying to work were those where they just talked about the job duties and all i had to do was say "yes I can do this" or talk about some of my accomplishments. Having them ask about my personal qualities, or talking about how I am with dealing with people and networking and what my life goals are...that's just hell on earth.
Absolutely, the interview itself - I was completely numb and it felt like it went by instantly, but the time before and after on that particular day I felt like myself, probably because I was entirely distracted on what I should say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts