Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought id start a new thread using one of the replies that janine posted and hopefully she will reply to this thread,and anyone else for that matter..

janines reply
quote:

I relate to the "Constant mini-panic attack" idea very very much.

I call it "cognitive panic" (just my own term, so don't use it with a doctor or they'll think you're nuts, lol). In a "regular" panic attack, the body generates excess adrenaline and heart races, chest tightens, etc.

But I stayed in a kind of CALM panic state - I looked normal on the outside and my heart wasn't racing, but inside my MIND the thoughts were going 90 miles an hour and I felt like I seconds away from losing total control.

It's really NOT panic, but a form of annhiliation anxiety that stems from a (false) belief that we must HOLD ON to our own mental state, to watch it, to self-observe, in order to keep something horrible from happening. It's as if the mind is clenched tight like a fist and we're afraid to let it go, to relax it for an instant because it feels like that is when we'd go totally insane.

_____________________________________________

i dont know about anyone else but this is exaclty how ive felt for the past 4 years .....how can we break this cycle,it is just so time consuming and it feels like a waste of time and energy....but today especially i can relate 100% to the 'mind being clenched like a fist'
even when i try relaxtion teqniques my mind is still tight with anxiety

all the best
 

· Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
I've always wanted to start a thread like this. It's always like "If I don't hold on and monitor my "sanity," then I'm just gonna lose it." I feel like this occasionally (and frequently before) but I've learned to just let it go because I know this is the only way I'll get better. I try my hardest not to let these symptoms bother me and sometimes even laugh when I realize I'm just fine. You have to make yourself realize that you are OK and with patience I believe we all can get rid of this.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that seems to be the only option......its like somedays i will be monitering my 'mind' all day and no matter how hard i try to focus outwards its like im holding on to my sanity,then i will momentarily drift off and quickly grab hold of my thoughts again...hope this makes sense
 

· Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
jc said:
its like im holding on to my sanity,then i will momentarily drift off and quickly grab hold of my thoughts again...hope this makes sense
It makes perfect sense. It's like you're thinking "Oh crap, I'm not holding on to my thoughts - They might get away from me and I could be insane or become out of control, and just disappear into non-existance..."

I know exactly how this feels. You should think to yourself how silly this is and how untrue this is and you will feel the effects soon. It may take a few days but I guarantee you will see your symptoms lessen.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
This is my main problem as well. Hoping others will keep talking about it and giving advice as to how to overcome.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
This describes me exactly too. Somehow we just have to learn how to trust ourselves and know that if we let go we will be ok, but I have know idea how to do that. so I spend countless hours researching dp/dr/panic to try to find a clear scientific reason for it all so I will know I'm ok.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
It's a vicious cycle of control. The anxiety of living gives us feelings we don't like, and we try to control them, and we realize the world cannot be controlled and so the world makes us anxious and nervous ("Maybe it can just stop working for me"), and so we try to grab ahold of something to control, and so on and so forth.

For me it is the constant eb and flow of living a world with ADHD, I believe (I really believe this) that has made me feel so out of control in the past, and therefore made me feel as thought I HAVE/HAD to constantly keep monitoring in order to stay safe. The act of constant monitoring makes us realize that the world isn't safe, and easy and well...the rest kind of makes sense. I don't think it's any secret that our problem here is cyclical - for if it wasn't then it would be easy to stop.

This is why distraction, in my opinion - real world, physical distraction - is a great way to get ourselves out of the cycle; as it throws a wrench in the gears of our brains. Anything that threatens our control or certainty on the world pushes us away from it, makes us stressful to live in it - and, as we grow older and more experienced, we continue to see that the world isn't certain and safe (as we may have thought it was when we were younger and more naive).

Control can take many, many forms. Control can be floating away in our imaginations, as we may feel safer in our minds than in the real world around us. Control can be doing things obsessively, that is, trying to make up patterns and consistency in our world. Control can be distancing ourselves from people or parts of the world that bring about chaos. Control plays a big role in a lot of problems I've had in the past.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
yep thats the one....can't let go or you might not be there anymore..... so that is why I know we can all be cured. We all are in agreement that what Janine quoted is so very true.. She made it out, I look at her as an explorer or pioneer who blaze the trail for the rest of us. She is still there at the mouth of the cave holding a blazing torch... sheding some light on our otherwise dark existence ...... Wow is that dramatic or what.... See maybe we should just use our experiences to be creative or something,,, sometimes some of the poetry, or stories on the is site amaze me, just how creative all you people are...

Creativity is probably why we are like this too. Over active imaginations.
How many of us were scared of the dark when we were kids, or how many of us fear death.

Some how to harness the fear and use the energy to create something ... I don't know , I fear i babble too much.... but Nice choice of topics .....
 
G

·
She made it out, I look at her as an explorer or pioneer who blaze the trail for the rest of us. She is still there at the mouth of the cave holding a blazing torch... sheding some light on our otherwise dark existence
I love it!

Actually, I kind of see myself more standing over a small fire making S'Mores and waving everyone forward, but your way makes me sound MUCH more powerful.

:lol:
 
G

·
yup...I HATE this feeling.

I had it for about three solid months after my HUGE attack.
I still get flashes of it from time to time...but here is what I find that works the best:

Accept it.
And not to simplify it, but it really is sort of simple.
each and every time you have one of those attacks, try to make it as bad as you can. Try and make the panic destroy you, and it will go away.
Why?
because you aren't afraid of it when you hit it head on.
you are afraid of your reaction to the panic attack, which is just a huge, vicious cycle.
stop it in it's tracks.
It will take you a few times to do it, but you can do it.
Heck, if I can do it, anyone can.

my attacks have gone from every single moment of every single day, to never...and I am a weiner :p
I still get the onset of the attacks (the ice water in the veins, the pit in the stomach, sudden rush of adrenaline, the senstitivity issues...etc)...but they don't last anytime at all now. I feel it, and then kill it.
It can't hurt me...and I am not afraid of it anymore.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
nataskaos said:
yup...I HATE this feeling.

I had it for about three solid months after my HUGE attack.
I still get flashes of it from time to time...but here is what I find that works the best:

Accept it.
And not to simplify it, but it really is sort of simple.
each and every time you have one of those attacks, try to make it as bad as you can. Try and make the panic destroy you, and it will go away.
Why?
because you aren't afraid of it when you hit it head on.
you are afraid of your reaction to the panic attack, which is just a huge, vicious cycle.
stop it in it's tracks.
It will take you a few times to do it, but you can do it.
Heck, if I can do it, anyone can.

my attacks have gone from every single moment of every single day, to never...and I am a weiner :p
I still get the onset of the attacks (the ice water in the veins, the pit in the stomach, sudden rush of adrenaline, the senstitivity issues...etc)...but they don't last anytime at all now. I feel it, and then kill it.
It can't hurt me...and I am not afraid of it anymore.
Great post. I agree with you 100%. It's too bad I'm only 90% not scared though. But I feel improvement every day.
 
G

·
Da said:
Great post. I agree with you 100%. It's too bad I'm only 90% not scared though. But I feel improvement every day.
Feel GREAT about that.
don't ever get down on yourself about having an attack or about feeling anxious.
be good to yourself...90% is a HUGE deal.

awesome work!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
jc said:
But I stayed in a kind of CALM panic state - I looked normal on the outside and my heart wasn't racing, but inside my MIND the thoughts were going 90 miles an hour and I felt like I seconds away from losing total control.

It's really NOT panic, but a form of annhiliation anxiety that stems from a (false) belief that we must HOLD ON to our own mental state, to watch it, to self-observe, in order to keep something horrible from happening. It's as if the mind is clenched tight like a fist and we're afraid to let it go, to relax it for an instant because it feels like that is when we'd go totally insane.
Damn. That is exactly how it affects me. I will be on the verge of my brain slipping out my ears yet i from the outside i look like nothing is up. Its kinda strange to be in such turmoil on the inside being bombarded by waves of fear, anxiety and DR and yet nothing registering in my body language etc.

Just thought i would add that.

Regards

Jamie.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top