Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really beginning to wonder here about docs and schizophrenia diagnoses. Neither I nor my doc, therapist or family believe this DPDR is a psychotic condition, although it sure does feel like what one would think a psychotic break to be. I am wondering why docs keep giving it this diagnosis. So far, just in the past week, I have seen 4 highly intelligent people carrying on very COHERENT discussions here on the board, and all of them have been given the formal diagnosis of schizophrenia. I just don't understand why this is so.

It has been said on the board many times that someone with schizophrenia wouldn't really care about coming to the board to post concerns or to seek solice. And I agree with this entirely. Being dominated by delusions and hallucinations would probably keep someone pretty preoccupied. Yet that doesn't seem to be the case. I have seen schizophrenia and psychosis first hand, and these folks are anything but coherent during an episode. The folks I see on this board are nothing like the examples of psychosis I have encountered. Granted, I don't know how most of us are when off the board, but we all seem to be highly functional and coherent individuals with some emotional challenges. I understand psychosis is a continuum rather than a black and white 2-sided illness. I am concerned about docs handing out this diagnosis like a number, as it is capable of turning one's life upside down. Anyone with some insight please respond. How do you all feel about docs doing this?

Thanks,

Ken

G

·
Hi Ken,

I really don't know about that. All I know is that my psychiatrist told me that the majority of doctors doesn't believe in MPD, dissociative disorders, depersonalization. They HAVE to put this illness on either schizophrenia, panic attacks, acute stress disorder, epilepsy, etc.

The dissociative disorders have been only in the new DSM-IV I think. Before it wasn't there.

And all I know is that I am afraid that a new psychiatrist will tell me I am schizophrenic FOR LIFE, and put me on meds (anti-psychotics), and that is my fear. I also have read people here on the board, and nobody seems schizo, I don't understand..... but I am afraid, utterly afraid. And Afraid to e more crazy w/o meds. It's crazy hun? :shock:

Cynthia :?

G

·
Ah, two of my very favorite lunatics together doing what they do best.

grin

*you are neither one lunatics, but some days...you're a little looney, grin

Okay, listen up: Instead of getting up, dressed and OUT into reality to give it another good push, you're online reading about flawed diagnoses and imperfect doctors.

Instead of telling yourself as many positive things as you can to force yourselves to focus OUTward, you're lamenting how horrible it is that doctors screw up.

Instead of trying to change yourselves, you're protesting that THEY should change, why can't they change, why are they like that, it's unfair that they're like that, etc. etc. etc.

Life is flawed.
People are flawed.

If we spend too much energy being enraged about that, we're not in reality.

And most important, then its time for a nap.

USE your energy to help yourself rather than to convince yourselves there's no point anyway because doctors are no good, etc. and nobody will give you the right explanation for schizophrenic diagnoses.

Got it?
Love you both,
Janine

G

·
Cynthia you should know what you have without a doc giving you a label, unless your seeing hallucinations and hearing things telling you what to do and to kill people, then there is nothing to be scared about. Just relax dont let your anxiety carry you into hell, it only makes things worst. You have really bad anxiety which causes stress which keeps you from getting better. Be strong

G

·
I'm diagnosed with a schizofrenic disorder, and one of the symptoms is derealization. As far as I understand, schizofrenia can have many forms, and not two cases are similar. Some cases are more outspoken/classic while others are of a quieter nature. Also, there's something called "positive symptoms" and something called "negative symptoms":

Positive Symptoms:
Hearing things
Seeing things
Believing in strange ideas/delusions
Asociative disorder
...and DR/DP disorder (see for example ICD-10/F48.1)
+others

Negative Symptoms:
Depression-like "behavior"
Anti-social behavior
Withdrawal
Lack of feelings
+others

So, you see schizofrenia is many things, not just raving lunatics in the streets!

AND, contrary to common belief, people with schizofrenic disorders can have high IQ's!!!

Hope you feel a little wiser!

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, you see schizofrenia is many things....
I disagree. I think there is a certain cluster of behaviors that characterize this disorder, and when you see someone with it, you know it.
When I say specific cluster of behaviors I mean echolalia, cataplexy, preoccupation with delusions, catatonic behavior and interacting openly with internal stimuli (hallucinations). These are classic psychotic symptoms, and unless someone is exhibiting them, that person shouldn't be labelled psychotic or schizophrenic for that matter. There are times when I exhibit all of these behaviors to some degree. In high anxiety states I may become irrational and believe people are out to get me. Or when I'm tired, I might see something move, or hear something that was not there. I hear talking in my head all the time, but I am comfortable with it because it's part of my thought processes. Do I think God is talking to me? Nope. Is it the president sending me special messages telling me what lottery numbers to pick? Nope. But a doctor according to his manual would look under positive symptoms and say "yes Ken, you hear a voice in your head. You're psychotic." This is absurd.

AND, contrary to common belief, people with schizofrenic disorders can have high IQ's!!!
Agreed, people with schizophrenia are usually extremely intelligent, no argument there.

G

·
Janine.

Sorry if I sound like that. It's because it's scares me. You understand that, you went through. :shock: And it makes me unhappy. Very unhappy.

But I don't JUST do that, I go to gym 3 times a week, this PM I went to see a friend all the PM, and we talked of many things (that I don't remember), but you know I do my best to do other things. I cook dinner,, take care of my son, watch TV, return see friends friday, see my folks.But the feeling of unreality is always there, and numbness too, and I still search for myself, and still am confused. I feel like life is besides me, I can't help it. It's VERY annoying. I can't believe there is no way out.

I don't know, I feel like I've been put here, in this year, this situation, this personality, and the old Cynthia is hiden somewhere. I feel like my friends recognize me more than me. I don't know how to be anymore, and the problem is, I am tired to be like that. I see no point to live and work like that. Must be depression.?!?

Anyway, sorry for being what I am (for now)

Cynthia xxx

· Registered
1,479 Posts
"I am concerned about docs handing out this diagnosis like a number, as it is capable of turning one's life upside down."

Ken, just from reading different post here, I tend to agree with you. I'm also against doc's of all forms and shapes handing out psychiatric meds like popcorn. Unfortunately, I have no insight for you.

Cynthia, I can tell you that the one thing I fought the hardest for, and which probably kept me down the longest, was I wanted to be like I was before. I kept thinking that was such a simple request and it was the one I wanted the most. Here is the part I didn't get...When you are trying to go forward, you cannot keep going back. :idea: You have to work with who you are now. Trying to recapture the you of the past continually feeds your anxiety.

When my psychologist told me this I became very angry with her. She said, "Terri, you don't want to go back." I was like, "WHAT ???? :shock: ". That was all I wanted. And I wanted it so bad that I struggled and fought and obsessed and got nowhere. :(

I still have to tell myself that "this is the me I am" at times. Probably still think of it a few times a week. But this train of thinking helped me release myself from all that I was in the past and accept what I am in the moment.

I hope, by chance, this idea may be of some help for you and other's struggling with the longing for the old self. When you embrace yourself now, you give your soul some much needed peace.

Sincerely,
terri*

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Terri your post is awesome. It was our old selves that betrayed us to begin with, and it was our old selves that caused us to break down in the first place. I totally agree with Terri here about embracing the the developing people we are now. What a good piece of advice.

G

·
Terri, I agree, Janine too,

But how not to think of you like before? It's your reference! It's like a formated computer..... you don't know you identity anymore, have slight memory about it, but it's like not belonging to you....

I don't want to be ANOTHER person, totally new, like a newborn! I want to feel myself, with my qualities and defaults! It's all I search and when I found it a little minute, I am so glad!

Cynthia xxx

· Registered
544 Posts
Cynthia

I used to do that, but now I'm giving up.

I've found that the search for your "old self" is pointless. Your "self" is still there, but you don't find it by searching.

It's always come back to me when I've least expected it, and it does it on its own. If you learn to master the DP and the fear, and to distract yourself sufficiently, it all seems to "fall into place", and your "self" comes back by itself - not exactly the same as "before", but still "you" nonetheless.

G

·
Your sense constantly changes anyways you just dont notice it, you go through stages, you have to go through the tunnel of darkness to see the light. What you thought you were 2 years ago is already gone, important thing is getting through that tunnel which is dp and and getting back to the norm where you can form yourself again, a wiser, more likeable self.

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's always come back to me when I've least expected it, and it does it on its own. If you learn to master the DP and the fear, and to distract yourself sufficiently, it all seems to "fall into place", and your "self" comes back by itself - not exactly the same as "before", but still "you" nonetheless.
Yes. Another good post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.