Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i could have been recovered from this horrible condition by now but its like i need reassurance from people so i keep coming back to this site maybe if i just forget about DP/DR and not come on here anymore it would just go away. But its so damn hard! I think possibly all of us has this damn problem. Its like a damn addiction but when you read about it you just get more depressed and thus worsens the condition at least this happens to me and im pretty sure everyone else. How does one simply not come on this site anymore? Its actually very freaking annoying!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well my DP is secondary to another medical condition (I'm not sure what, exactly, but that's a different question).

So trying to go out and do things and live my life is not really an option. I attempted that for 8 years before I even heard of DP or this forum.

I go on here out of curiosity and to share my experiences and experience the company of others who deal with this issue.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The reason you are returning here so often is because you are still searching for a cure...NOT because as others will have you believe that its an obsessive thing thats just feeding the DP....

Its very simple....If you were feeling better you wouldnt feel the need to keep coming back here in search of a solution to the enigma that is DP...

Ive heard a million times on here about how repeatedly coming back to the Forum is just feeding the DP by keeping your focus on it...Simply not true...The reason why alot of people (like myself) return to the forum is to share experience and coping tips and recovery stories...

I wonder where any of us would go in the depths of despair if this forum wasnt here....There would be alot of isolated lonely DP sufferers literally suffering in silence all over the world.....I mean all you gotta do is read the countless stories on here from people who simply cannot find any kind of proper help or treatment anywhere near them...

Honestly if you can get rid of your DP by simply ignoring it and by avoiding all reminders of it thats great for you...But thats simply not the case for alot of people on here.....In fact I actually believe that the people who do "recover" by simply ignoring it are actually running from the problem instead of facing up to it...

Funny how alot of them end up returning to the Forum either months or years later with their tails between their legs wondering how they ended up back here...

The real reason people dont recover or end up getting DP again is because they dont make the neccessary lifestyle changes required to maintain their mental health after they improve...They either dont stop doing the stuff that got them here in the first place or foolishly underestimate how much a medicine was helping them and stop taking it.....

It starts with better stress management.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have seen this too.
When i wasnt having so bad times i never even thinked about this site. But now when im again full on depression and depersonalization i come here everyday. Trying to find relief.. As always. Recovery is big and long process.. It happens when you start to live. But its hard to change if you have lots of doubts and thinking too much. Having too high expectations. I have been so near of getting better but it havent lasted because i have remembered depersonalization mind state and accidentally just started taking it again. For me usually what keeps this going is negative beliefs or thinking very wrong way which makes me suffer. Sometimes i might get sense of better life but it goes so fast just leaving me helpless

·
Registered
485 Posts
You are dealing with something that some of us long time members have been dealing with for years and years. Some of us would basically live on here because of how disabling our conditions were. It seems that most of those who were doing that tended to be the younger and drug induced cases. Those days were not fun. Literally living in the chat room spending hours at a time in there. IMO the drug induced cases in those that are younger (13-18 or somewhere around there), they are worse off. Much too young to be experiencing something as traumatic as dp/dr and some of the other consequences of using drugs. I am not saying there's going to be a worse outlook for those that are younger, only saying that they're incredibly disadvantaged from the get go.

You're probably going to have learn to grow up with it a bit. Learn from this experience and let it teach you something. You might find in the end that it was worthwhile. I know Ive learned a lot during this time. I first got it at 18 years old from using drugs and wouldnt leave the house to get the newspaper outside the front door. I have now had multiple jobs and even lived on my own for over a year straight (although I am not currently doing that now). I am grateful that I did not get it at an even younger age. I see you are younger than I was when I got it, you are tough for this. Keep fighting it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi
I use to think coming on here was not good and fueled this but for me it's not true
Anxiety is why ive got dp dr even if I'm not on here I'm still having anxiety.
Maybe some people may get better if they stop coming on here " wish that was me "
I'm still working on cutting the stress thats in my life and tgats all I can do i guess .
I'm still hopeful i can find who i once was .
I hope you do to

1 - 8 of 8 Posts