Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the verdict on cold showers? My brother likes them and some people with the same issue as me have said they are good. I had one after workout tonight and it definitely resets you and seemed pretty good.

BUT

A lot of people talk about how the problem is fight or flight and adrenaline releasing a lot right.

This is from a google search.

A 2014 study showed that immersion in cold water causes the body to release adrenaline. This has two effects: It makes your immune system produce more anti-inflammatory substances. ... This suggests that cold showers may boost the immune system, even though there was no effect found on how long people were sick.Apr 4, 2019

So all these sorts of things confuse me. I keep thinking its really good to keep your adrenaline from activating, which means like no cold showers and i guess no DHEA? shit like that. But then other people swear by these things that from what I can tell release adrenaline/cortisol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've found that cold showers help a ton. It really does feel like a reset for your body, or at least decreases the dpdr a bit on the worst days. From what I've read cold showers can help to increase endorphins (which helps anxiety and depression), and decrease cortisol. With that said there are also like you said sources which says the opposite, that cold showers are bad for your mental health. But I guess that's expected when you google things, you'll most likely always find that one source contradict the other.
I'd say just try it for yourself, and if you feel like it has a bad impact on your mental health then stop doing it. It isn't a long term solution but I definitely feel like it helps for an hour or so which makes it easier to cope with the feelings of unreality later. People have different experiences so just do what you feel works for you.

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's an example of Hormesis, where a small amount of a stressor is actually good for us as it makes us more resilient or releases healthy hormones/transmitters... or both. Like fasting, or even exercise, or saunas... a little bit of an extreme thing can benefit us.

Of course, depends on the individual and the amount of stress. Another example is Wim Hof breathing that causes us to increase carbon dioxide levels in the blood. This increases cortisol, adrenaline, endorphins and makes the blood alkaline... all seemingly very bad but the guy swears it makes him more resilient to stress and sickness

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! Cool to hear this stuff. And if I pull back I think I'm just spinning and overthinking a lot of things in general, and acting like thats helping. haha.

The point of view I come at some of this stuff is from my dad saying its an issue with adrenaline. And this believe of it being released due to stressors. And the stressors are lower. Meaning like adrenaline released just because my neighbor (or i THINK my neighbor) is going to say something bad. "Your lawn yadda yadda".

The idea there is to not flex that "unnecessarily".

Its interesting because I have been looking at Jaden Christophers stuff and also other peoples like this one other guys. And like for Jaden early on in his panic and problems he was very much interested in chilling the fuck out. But for others its good to distract (like a cold shower) and work out and create deadlines and boundaries... And in fact chilling out can be worse cause you get caught up in your thoughts.

Each person is probably different and may be find their own balance.

I know for me I really need to stop overthinking things. Life was going along and then I triggered hard. I can see how there was stuff leading up to it that were signs. But the trigger was so heavy and fast and the details about it are so crazy that its like...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts