Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know it sounds fucking ridiculous but if you had any similar experiences, let me know.

I've never had any mental issues or even episodes in my life ever before this.

My first episode was pretty minor, I just got confused, scared and lightheaded a little bit for no reason for an hour in the middle of lecture at school. Although that was really, that's something I've never experienced before so I went to a doctor.

There were three things going on when my first episode happened and shit started going down,

1. I was sick from flu

2. Recently started drinking coffee

3. Chugged a large cup of coffee like water before my first episode

I wasn't even stressed or anything. Literally I had no problems in my life. I considered myself a healthy and happy person too.

The only weird thing about me is that I'm quite sensitive to substances. a glass of wine will get me tipsy, a cup of coffee would make me super hyper. And I've never been drinking coffee frequently few weeks before developing my first episode.

Aaaaaand shit started happening from there as you guys probably guessed

Panic attacks,

Extreme 24/7 DP,

Scared of going crazy and shit

Thankfully I'm recovering so fast but I am wondering if any of you guys have similar experiences as mine.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Its very possible especially as you are so sensitive to various drugs...

People seem to forget that caffeine is a very strong addictive drug...Its because its so common and freely available that its not exactly frowned upon like other drugs such as Heroin or Cocaine etc....

In fact you could say the exact same thing about Nicotine and Alcohol....

Any drug thats addictive and causes brain chemistry to change and has mood altering abilities (no matter how subtle it may seem) has the ability to do damage to the mind and body.....

Alot of people (myself included) are more dependent on drugs like caffeine than they actually realise....I mean if you are a regular coffee drinker just watch what happens when you try to go cold turkey...Headaches are usually the first thing to happen as well as shakiness and agitation...Similar things happen to people who have sugar addictions...

To be honest we are all probably addicted to some kind of drug in one form or another....(Sugar,Nicotine, Caffeine, Weed, Cocaine,Heroin etc etc etc) Its just most people are addicted to the so called socially acceptable drugs that it doesnt come across as a problem...

Of course the exercise and health freaks will say I eat healthy and dont put crap food into my body and work out all the time..... "Guess what ?" You guys are addicted to adrenalin!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hah.... interesting, So caffeine definitely does something to DP for some of us. Although I've never considered myself addicted to caffeine (stopped drinking right after my first episode). But I'm still doubting how drinking coffee could literally fuck me up for a month 24/7 though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coffee makes me DP sooooo bad, and I think it's what started this whole mess for me. But, I've been off coffee for 4 months now (went through 3 months of withdrawal), and I still have 24/7 DP...it's just not as bad as it was on coffee. (Though, since I drank coffee for 9 years, it might just take more time for my CNS to completely calm down back to its pre-caffeinated state.)
I'm really sorry for asking this question but were you relatively healthy (physically/mentally) before DP like me? and can you tell me how DP started happening?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy, thank you so much for sharing your story.

Although I do see some differences between our experiences, I kinda believe caffeine really did something for us at least.

Personally, I've been really conservative with substances. I've never tried any drugs in my life other than alocohol (even that I've been a good boy lol). Like I said, I found myself really sensitive to those substances but not in negative way so I started drinking coffee a lot since 2 months ago as I thought it helps me with school. I've never noticed anything bad but effects were noticable even by others (extremely hyper, happy).

The only difference was that I was sick with flu during that time. Maybe those two somehow worked in a bad way and gave me my first episodes, DP and other issues I've never had.

I wasn't a long term coffee user, so thankfully I'm not sensing any withdrawal or whatnot.

Naloxone (1mg) took 75% of my symptoms away in 2 hours for 2 days and even after that, it's still 50% gone and believe it's getting better.

I'm also trying staying off meds as I believe they do nothing to DP and make things even worse with side effects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts