Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to find others who've had Depersonalization every day 24/7. I've had it for decades and am in therapy working on accepting it. It interferes with many things in life, how about you?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Depersonalization has been a constant part of my life since the late eighties...Ive had it in the chronic form for various periods since I first developed it...Generally it is usually under control and reasonably stable due to an Atypical / Anti Depressant low dose combo....

But when my stress levels get out of control and life throws really testing times my way it rears its ugly head...

As a result I have to manage my stress levels strictly....That goes for all stressors (People,places and things)

·
Registered
631 Posts
It's been extreme and debilitating for me since 2004, though I believe I've had it most of my life (people's descriptions of "I can work and function and communicate just fine, but I don't really feel emotionally connected to life" remind me of the pre-2004 me. Since then, it's been more like some kind of Alzheimer's or MS or something similar, and it just seems to get slowly but progressively worse).

I've never understood what "acceptance" really means with respect to this. I mean, I feel I have no choice but to accept it. What's the alternative? To fight "it"? To struggle against "it"? But there is no "it" there to fight? The referent of the word DP does not name a thing that one can fight against. Just one of the many problems I have with the language and methods of psychiatry and therapy.

Regardless, I hope that therapy proves beneficial to you, however you may define benefit :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had my DP since March of 2016 so a good 2 years for me but one day i will get out of this crippling random horrible disorder and feel better about myself. I guess im not putting much effort into my recovery.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've had it for over two years now no were as long as above people but bloody long enough
I'm drowning in it at the moment hoping I can come out well , I was nearly better at many points so I have hope .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had it for about 2 years, with one recovery/relapse near the end of it. I obviously can't say blanket statements like it'll get better for everyone, but I definitely feel with time it'll go away for most. If you can get out of this the rest of life is a literal breeze

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had it since my teen years, and it has led to major depression, isolation in relationships/no relationships, and trouble at work due to leaves of absence, absenteeism and an inability to focus. It has become acutely worse to a level that is so far out that I just wish I could die and every minute seems like agony. I feel so detached that even eating feels alien, and I sometimes gag on the food (does anyone else get this??). I despise myself. I would give anything for it to go away. I feel like I am in hell every second of every day. It's like every minute that I don't step in front of a bus is a triumph which no one understands, of course. I want to die but I don't want to hurt my family.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine developed when I started worrying about something over and over. It was very upsetting and I suddenly went into this unreal world. When I was 13 I used to think how could I get out of this cloud or curtain to get back to seeing things feel again. I learned to live with it over the years but as I get older and due to an anxiety disorder my anxiety and depressive side seem worse. When I was in my 20s and 30s I had fun and didn't think about it so much. I don't know why my mother's death has made me have constant anxiety about going to sleep. Before that, I slept fine. It's been almost 4 years now. I could use some help or advice. I am going to a therapist that's great. The usual over-worrying that comes with anxiety is a thinking I have to break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts