Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been having OCD for a while now and the past few weeks I've been having a bad experience in dealing with these intrusive thoughts about God and trusting in Him. My faith is very important to me and a few weeks ago I had this one intrusive thought pop into my mind of what if God wasn't real. I've been a firm believer my whole life and that one intrusive thought really got to me for some reason. One thing led to another and I started to really obsess over this thought. I ended up in this very viscous cycle where I started to constantly seek reassurance which I know can only make the obsessions worse. It got so back that I started to have a panic attack at work one day, but fortunately I was able to get through it. I started to question things in an irrational manner and it got to the point where anything that was God-related or just the mention of the name God or Jesus acted as some sort of "trigger" to my anxiety. What really made it worse was that it started to play off the fear of doubting your salvation. I would start to think that just because I was going through this, somehow meant that I wasn't a believer. My anxiety really played off the notion of living by faith and not by sight. You know when you have an unwanted thought that gives you anxiety so much that the slightest hint of thought about that subject causes that sort of "compressed" feeling in you head? That's what happens to me when that uncertainty hits me. I don't know if this will ever go away and at times it really causes me to have a mental breakdown. But even though this is happening to me, whenever I start to pray or that "compressed" feeling goes away for a time, I'm back to not worrying again. The problem however, is that the anxiety comes back when I'm completely off topic and the thoughts seem come back more easily. I know I shouldn't be looking for reassurance, but I love the Lord with all my heart and soul and it's very, very important to me. I've sort of had these questions before like a lot of people surely have, but I've NEVER gotten this anxious or worried about this topic since only about a few weeks ago and I don't completely know for sure why this is happening to me. If there's anyone out there who knows what I'm talking about, I'd be very happy to hear from you! God bless!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there! I wanted to post and say that when my DP/DR first started that’s exactly what happened to me. My faith is very near and dear to me but I questioned it a lot as well. I really doubted myself, my faith, just everything in general. I was starting to be terrified of dying because of my doubt. I understand what you are going through completely and I am here for you if you need anyone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I’m having this problem as well before I got derealization I was struggling with finding a job deciding what I want to do with my life and then had a mental breakdown from somethings in the Bible that bothered me so watched videos on YouTube and obsessed about all kinds of stuff and got severe anxiety and depression then watched some nde videos on YouTube and got really freaked out and then one day I woke up and felt complete disconnect from reality. And now I’m doing a bit better now but when people talk about god or Jesus it makes my derealization worse. I’m still recovering but you can talk to me if you want I’ve learned somethings that help and yeah don’t obssess over it and look up a bunch of stuff that makes it worse

1 - 3 of 3 Posts