Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Had DP/DR for 2 years now and the main problem I have with it is existentialism. Lately I've been overthinking whether or not we actually have choices in life. If a person does something bad are they really to blame? If a person has certain experiences and has lived their life in a way that's made them come out as a person who makes bad choices is hah their fault? We're told we always have a choice but your experience of life is what makes you who you are, therefore the choices you make are based on your experiences, which would mean a person really can't be blamed or heir actions, right? I feel like we're all just robots or animals or something that have been conditioned to act and feel a certain way. Has anyone else ever gone through this? Can anyone help me get past it? I just want to believe that we are more than just our experiences again. I want to believe we do have free will and our actions are accountable.

·
Banned
37 Posts
pretty much everyone i've known with dp/dr has had these obsessions they want to analyze their way out of dp/dr but really they're just leading themselves to more questions which lead to more questions which lead to despair and suffering.

this is like a job listing that requires experience and the guy looking at the job is wondering how is he supposed to get experience if he can't get a job. It's a double whammy paradoxical style of thought which leads you round and round in circles. Stop trying to answer questions you're not qualified to answer you are an apprentice when you gather up enough experience in life then maybe you can become a journeyman and then possibly even a master..

Until then you make your choices based on your virtues whatever they maybe that's your test buddy you wanna keep looking at the questions or do you want to answer them. Either way you'll be living with yourself in the end so make a choice you can live with.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pretty much everyone i've known with dp/dr has had these obsessions they want to analyze their way out of dp/dr but really they're just leading themselves to more questions which lead to more questions which lead to despair and suffering.

this is like a job listing that requires experience and the guy looking at the job is wondering how is he supposed to get experience if he can't get a job. It's a double whammy paradoxical style of thought which leads you round and round in circles. Stop trying to answer questions you're not qualified to answer you are an apprentice when you gather up enough experience in life then maybe you can become a journeyman and then possibly even a master..

Until then you make your choices based on your virtues whatever they maybe that's your test buddy you wanna keep looking at the questions or do you want to answer them. Either way you'll be living with yourself in the end so make a choice you can live with.
Thing is though, I've seen more evidence that we don't have a choice. Our virtues/beliefs are just based on our experiences in the world, if we make a choice based on what we believe we are just basing it on out experience, therefore we couldn't be held accountable for any choices we make.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Thing is though, I've seen more evidence that we don't have a choice. Our virtues/beliefs are just based on our experiences in the world, if we make a choice based on what we believe we are just basing it on out experience, therefore we couldn't be held accountable for any choices we make.
lol lol lol you think that line of thinking is going to hold up in court?

"it wasn't my choice to rape her your honor it was based on my experience in the world therefore i can't be held accountable for what i've done"

lololol come on man get real

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

"it wasn't my choice to rape her your honor it was based on my experience in the world therefore i can't be held accountable for what i've done"

Literally where did I say that something like that would hold up in court? Whether or not it would hold up court doesn't prove ig it's true or not

·
Banned
37 Posts
Literally where did I say that something like that would hold up in court? Whether or not it would hold up court doesn't prove ig it's true or not
You didn't have to say it that's just to prove the sheer lunacy of your belief that you cannot make any choice in life and be held accountable for any choice you make because it's all based on your experience. It's completely absurd and any judge would see it for what it is and your argument would get completely dismantled.

If you can't take responsibility for your actions or choices then you shouldn't be able to make any choices. Lets put you into a cage right now behind bars see how real it all becomes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You didn't have to say it that's just to prove the sheer lunacy of your belief that you cannot make any choice in life and be held accountable for any choice you make because it's all based on your experience. It's completely absurd and any judge would see it for what it is and your argument would get completely dismantled.

If you can't take responsibility for your actions or choices then you shouldn't be able to make any choices. Lets put you into a cage right now behind bars see how real it all becomes.
I'm not saying there would be no consequences. I can take responsibilities forum actions. The whole point of my post was that I freak out about this stuff and I'm afraid it's true because I can see a lot of evidence for it. Your choices are your choices, but don't you make them based on your beliefs and what you know? And your beliefs and what you know are all dependent on your experience in life. Don't have a go at me just because you misunderstood.

·
Registered
344 Posts

The universe made me do it!! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts