Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone describe to me the nuts and bolts of CBT? I have a general idea, but am really not sure. The idea of a laid out program appeals to me, as opposed to someone just listening to me or saying stuff like, "what do you want to talk about today," or even worse, "what do you want me to do for you." Christ. Who the hell is making the 100 plus bucks and hour anyway?

G

·
You put 4 columns on a piece of paper;

Situation Moods Automatic Thoughts Alternative/Balanced Thoughts

At the end of your day you find somewhere quiet and recall your experiences during the day and fill in the columns. If you are experienceing some paranoia it should show up.
The theory is that continually doing this should train you to change unbalanced thoughts to more rational thoughts as soon as they happen, reducing anxiety.

An example is.

Situation: My neighbour ignored me and looked p'd off
My Moods: Worried, self conscious etc etc.
AutoThoughts: He's p'd off at me.
Alt/Bal Thoughts: Something has happened in his day/life to p him off. He didn't notice me.

There's probably other versions of CBT, this is the one I do.

G

·
it has helped me

yes I've shown myself that I can integrate the balanced thoughts and eventually replace the unbalanced thoughts, what's more of an eye opener is that I saw how paranoid I am, i actually had an unbalanced belief that I wasn't paranoid and the balanced thought/reality is that I really am paranoid, not to the point of being skizophrenic, but serious enough to need rectifying.

learning a bit about thoughts helped me understand CBT.
As far as I understand, the thoughts you think the most etch deeper grooves in you neural pathways, making them become more like beliefs, hard to challenge and very easily accessible so, if like me, for years you have been misreading situations and creating a false reality, rectifying that would require the difficult job of new neural pathways being forged in the brain with the correct reality. One way to do this is through practice/repetition.
It's like alot of therapies, you need it to become a habit and that takes discipline i.e turn the TV off and start writing at least 4 time a week or whatever is recommended.

i believe everyone creates false realities of some sort, but if these realities make it harder to cope with/recover from dp/dr, or even are responsible for dp/dr, there worth challenging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts