Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
CBT is awesome, but you will learn much about yourself you may not like.
The goal is to make you aware of certain behaviors and aspects of yourself that create symptoms. I've been doing it for 5 years on a monthly basis. The growth has been slow because I haven't done it weekly, but nevertheless, there are amazing changes that have taken place such as better relationships, better work and study habits, and an overall better thought life. It may make your DP and anxiety worse for a time because CBT requires you to tackle some of the core issues that create DP such as narcissism and obsessive thinking. But with time, you'll see it was well worth it. And don't worry, your therapist will provide you with the necessary tools to conquer these core issues.

As far as DP, what CBT does is make you aware of the types of thoughts and behaviors that create DP states. It's your job to correct these behaviors once aware of them, and that is where the challenge lies. Only then, will DP become less of a problem. I say CBT is the way to go. It is a Godsend and I can't say enough good things about it. Getting a good therapist is key though. Make sure you like the person you will be working with, and make sure you're honest about your behaviors and thoughts. A therapist is only as good as the patient lets him/her get =D

Take care,
Ken

·
Registered
369 Posts
CBT is awesome, but you will learn much about yourself you may not like.
The goal is to make you aware of certain behaviors and aspects of yourself that create symptoms. I've been doing it for 5 years on a monthly basis. The growth has been slow because I haven't done it weekly, but nevertheless, there are amazing changes that have taken place such as better relationships, better work and study habits, and an overall better thought life. It may make your DP and anxiety worse for a time because CBT requires you to tackle some of the core issues that create DP such as narcissism and obsessive thinking. But with time, you'll see it was well worth it. And don't worry, your therapist will provide you with the necessary tools to conquer these core issues.

As far as DP, what CBT does is make you aware of the types of thoughts and behaviors that create DP states. It's your job to correct these behaviors once aware of them, and that is where the challenge lies. Only then, will DP become less of a problem. I say CBT is the way to go. It is a Godsend and I can't say enough good things about it. Getting a good therapist is key though. Make sure you like the person you will be working with, and make sure you're honest about your behaviors and thoughts. A therapist is only as good as the patient lets him/her get =D

Take care,
Ken

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my therapists have not even mentioned that this might help...

infact they just have not mentioned it at all!

they would rather just put me on meds and that is it...

none of them have told me about any other therapies (other than relaxation/meditation)....

so i have decided to look into things myself...

i am very interested to see if this could help...

but to not know people who have tried it...

thank you for your replies :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my therapists have not even mentioned that this might help...

infact they just have not mentioned it at all!

they would rather just put me on meds and that is it...

none of them have told me about any other therapies (other than relaxation/meditation)....

so i have decided to look into things myself...

i am very interested to see if this could help...

but to not know people who have tried it...

thank you for your replies :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
looking into things on your own is the best way to go. Get into CBT first. It is your best bet for recovery because you are making change, not masking it as meds do. That's the doc's job. If the patient is ill, load them up with meds. Do CBT. It's good stuff. If you find that your quality of life becomes unbearable, then consider meds. Other than that, why go on them? One point though, meds + CBT have shown great results. CBT alone is still helpful, but there may be more of an edge when talking to the professional about personal issues.

·
Registered
369 Posts
looking into things on your own is the best way to go. Get into CBT first. It is your best bet for recovery because you are making change, not masking it as meds do. That's the doc's job. If the patient is ill, load them up with meds. Do CBT. It's good stuff. If you find that your quality of life becomes unbearable, then consider meds. Other than that, why go on them? One point though, meds + CBT have shown great results. CBT alone is still helpful, but there may be more of an edge when talking to the professional about personal issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts