Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For almost 1,5 years I've hade this phobia of being alive. It's totally overwhelming to be a human and to exist. I do have good and bad days. I had a couple of good weeks a few weeks ago but from this Monday it has been absolutely hell again.

Anyone else dealing with this?
Ssri doesn't seen to help with this symptom. Been on escitalopram 10 mg for maybe 8 months.

·
Registered
343 Posts
No. That makes no sense to me. Afraid of existing? That seems completely absurd.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm not sure I understand this either. Are you saying that you are afraid of the concept of existence? Or the concept of being alive?

Or is it that you fear existence at a personal level, e.g., due to the symptoms you are enduring?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure I understand this either. Are you saying that you are afraid of the concept of existence? Or the concept of being alive?
Or is it that you fear existence at a personal level, e.g., due to the symptoms you are enduring?
All three I think. The fact that I'm just made of atoms freakes me out sometimes. How do you differ existence from being alive? Aren't the two of them pretty much the same?

But yes it's on a personal level of course. This is hard to explain.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Fear of being alive makes sense to me. Being alive is not easy. It has more than its share of obligations. There is a lot of maintenance that goes into life.. Life is sometimes a sentence, and living is often a chore. I'm reading a book on the Genome and

am surprised to learn that chromosomes are full of self serving DNA. Those DNAs are not there for you. They are there for themselves. They replicate and propagate for their own purposes, and not yours. In fact, you are probably just a vehicle for their

transmission. Does that make you feel more important in the grand scheme of things - being a cuck to parasitic DNA?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Idk, seems like pretty typical DP to me. Considering the fact that out of the billions of planets out there, this is the only one we know for sure has life. I used to have these thoughts. The fact the I’m alive is just because of the fact that given an infinite amount of time and possibilies, the scenario of intelligent life existing must occur at some point, and thus here I am. Or should I say, here we are. Do not worry. Many people have these thoughts.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Get the fuck out!
Making your criticism of my supposedly inappropriate behavior by resorting to open hostility sure looks good on you.

@Bpsnarak, I don't purposely act against people; I just tend to provide a more rational point of view to many of these issues rather than a necessarily comforting one. Admittedly, the remark I made in this thread was pretty much pointless, but if you go through my post history, you can see that most of my posts contain plenty of substance. The fact that my comments don't play into the hugbox mentality that most people seem to advocate here doesn't mean that I'm a noxious person and/or a non-contributor. If anything, I serve to keep the conjectural jumping to conclusions that occurs here on a daily basis in check. It's unfortunate that I've apparently provoked your enmity.

·
Registered
54 Posts
the first reply was ignorant. I just want to say. you’re not alone! I get what you’re saying and I’ve experienced this! I am experiencing this. It’s real! but it is dr. It’s distorting your perception of what you thought was normal. hang in there. you’re not alone!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Making your criticism of my supposedly inappropriate behavior by resorting to open hostility sure looks good on you.

@Bpsnarak, I don't purposely act against people; I just tend to provide a more rational point of view to many of these issues rather than a necessarily comforting one. Admittedly, the remark I made in this thread was pretty much pointless, but if you go through my post history, you can see that most of my posts contain plenty of substance. The fact that my comments don't play into the hugbox mentality that most people seem to advocate here doesn't mean that I'm a noxious person and/or a non-contributor. If anything, I serve to keep the conjectural jumping to conclusions that occurs here on a daily basis in check. It's unfortunate that I've apparently provoked your enmity.
Your reply to that guy was quite vapid. As DP sufferers, nothing makes sense. That human existence is weird or being afraid of being alive, are quite common thoughts DP sufferers tend to have. I think you could have answered better by perhaps just telling us what you feel or what thoughts you had. Telling someone their thoughts are completely absurd makes them question even more. You weren't helping.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you so much guys for your support!

@perfectfifth: I've read some of your posts. And I don't think your attitude fits in this community. It's supposed to be a community where we try to help and support each other. Saying that someone's thoughts are absurd is not helpful at all. Especially not when one already feels crazy and freaked out. I'm glad most of the people are nice here.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thank you so much guys for your support!

@perfectfifth: I've read some of your posts. And I don't think your attitude fits in this community. It's supposed to be a community where we try to help and support each other. Saying that someone's thoughts are absurd is not helpful at all. Especially not when one already feels crazy and freaked out. I'm glad most of the people are nice here.
"Some of my posts" indicates that you're not predicating your opinion of me solely on the post I made in this thread. That's good.

Yes, so it would seem. In communities like this, there's no room for rational thought, only blind comforting, even when someone describes a cluster of symptoms that doesn't correlate with the existing definitions of DP/DR whatsoever. I feel that the definition of DP/DR is being contorted out of shape in here and that anything passes for it. For example, someone describes that they have obsessive existential thoughts, with no additional details. Without critical consideration, you have a forumful of people rushing to post "oh yeah, that's DP/DR, bro! I know exactly how it is!" Apparently, according to this forum's consensus, DPDR can mean anything, which ultimately renders it an entirely useless label. It also undermines the identity and purpose of this community: if we uncritically consider anything and everything DP/DR, then this is no longer a DP/DR community!

Then you have the people who, in their heads, possess an infallible cure for DP. They go around claiming that they know the universal cure to DPDR, narrow-mindedly and uncritically extrapolating their own experience and peddling it as a pinpoint cure. Nevermind that no one even knows what DPDR is caused by, and probably varies per individual. The issue of potential misdiagnosis exists here as well; as in, they might not even have had DPDR to begin with. I guess I'm not allowed to be critical of this practice, either? I'm not saying that people shouldn't share what helped them. I'm saying that advertising what worked for your specific case as some panacea is preposterous.

Yes, I'm gone. Bye.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts