Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have pretty intense positive emotions when out in nature or by the beach, but now I don't quite register the environments around me. It's almost like I have to strain to gain a little bit of appreciation from really good surroundings. Does anyone else have this symptom?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Semantic satiation (also semantic saturation) is a psychological phenomenon in which repetition causes a word or phrase to temporarily lose meaning for the listener, who then perceives the speech as repeated meaningless sounds.

And you are doing it with your reality. You're checking it too much and it looses the spark, the natural feeling. Let it go already, and don't check your feelings/emotions. With time, when your brain will stop cycling, you'll start to feel the nature, but don't force it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Semantic satiation (also semantic saturation) is a psychological phenomenon in which repetition causes a word or phrase to temporarily lose meaning for the listener, who then perceives the speech as repeated meaningless sounds.

And you are doing it with your reality. You're checking it too much and it looses the spark, the natural feeling. Let it go already, and don't check your feelings/emotions. With time, when your brain will stop cycling, you'll start to feel the nature, but don't force it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Are you out of DPDR?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mostly, yes. I just feel odd with being "normal", but i think it will go away too.
Did you have the problem of not being able to sense the environment? How long did your DPDR last? Congrats on your recovery.

I'm currently at a point where things are no longer 2D, wrapped in a bubble, and people's faces no longer seem bigger-smaller. Sounds are not as bothersome, neither are lights. I can sit in a restaurant fairly ok. I can engage in simple conversations. There's no more rumination and painful agonizing anxiety - but the mind is definitely not as active as it should be and still lacking in ideas/thoughts. There's still a bit of anxiety, but it's more subliminal. If I force myself I can engage in a youtube video here and there, play some piano. I can navigate a store/shop and commit tasks. There's still a bit of distance between me and others as if my vision is skewed or senses are not adjusted right, but it doesn't feel like a total disconnect. Places no longer look foreign, just lacking in sentiment and skewed (color or contrast wise). Sunlight still does seem off. At this moment I feel like things have gotten more consistent - but at the same time - the improvements are harder to notice. I mean some times things do still look CGI, and mornings are tough- facing the trees outside etc. I'm not sure if this is a sign things will start to recover 100% from here - did you experience this as well? And how much further from here before full recovery?

My DPDR also was not caused by weed - it was a heavy duty depot injection of an antipsychotic, there was also cogentin and clonazepam involved. When the depot was greatly reduced and fading, I had a few serious episodes of racing thoughts/panic attacks, which afterwards led to the DPDR feelings.- I don't know if this will make my recovery any different, but there has been improvements. There's definitely a feeling that I was left with some brain modifications after this cocktail even though doctors have been trying to convince me this is not the case given the short duration of the use, but DPDR definitely doesn't give the reassurance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Did you have the problem of not being able to sense the environment? How long did your DPDR last? Congrats on your recovery.
Yes, i have that sometimes, but I don't give it importance. My DPDR lasted for about 2+ years, and my anxiety around 13.

I'm not sure if this is a sign things will start to recover 100% from here - did you experience this as well? And how much further from here before full recovery?
Yes, I had this alot, and it lasted a good time, now is much milder and the "reality" is more clear. Your sentiments will come to you when you'll get go it fully, will not try to check your reality if it's back or not. When you'll forget about dpdr, you'll get yourself back. You still feel odd when outside and your sun is shining in your face, you see trees dancing with the wind but you don't feel it, it's because you're doing with reality like people experiment with words (when you repeat a word a hundred times, it looses its meaning and you feel it like a combination of sounds). Same thing here, you watch the sky, and your brain think (sky, sky, bright sky, sunshine, trees, sky sky sky sky sky, what to do today, let me go eat something, sky sky sky sky sky sky). And obviously when you'll look at the sky, you'll not feel it, you'll just perceive it like a usual appearance above you.

Let go of analysing your surroundings, your feelings, just let it be, and don't judge your emotions. Be in NOW, like ekhart tolle said, don't react to the content, just let it flow, just be present with it and soon you'll regain your feelings back, because once you're analysing them with a bit of salt(anxiety) they are immediately perceived also like a threat and it's boosting your oddness and numbness to the rooftop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sunjet your explanations are very plausible and great.
For me it's very hard to just let got and look at nature and just let it happen. I used to feel calm when I was in nature, but now I just can't relax and analyze everything because I'm afraid that I won't get to see and feel everything around me like I used to. I often try to just let it happen but my feelings don't really connect to nature no matter what I do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, i have that sometimes, but I don't give it importance. My DPDR lasted for about 2+ years, and my anxiety around 13.

Yes, I had this alot, and it lasted a good time, now is much milder and the "reality" is more clear. Your sentiments will come to you when you'll get go it fully, will not try to check your reality if it's back or not. When you'll forget about dpdr, you'll get yourself back. You still feel odd when outside and your sun is shining in your face, you see trees dancing with the wind but you don't feel it, it's because you're doing with reality like people experiment with words (when you repeat a word a hundred times, it looses its meaning and you feel it like a combination of sounds). Same thing here, you watch the sky, and your brain think (sky, sky, bright sky, sunshine, trees, sky sky sky sky sky, what to do today, let me go eat something, sky sky sky sky sky sky). And obviously when you'll look at the sky, you'll not feel it, you'll just perceive it like a usual appearance above you.

Let go of analysing your surroundings, your feelings, just let it be, and don't judge your emotions. Be in NOW, like ekhart tolle said, don't react to the content, just let it flow, just be present with it and soon you'll regain your feelings back, because once you're analysing them with a bit of salt(anxiety) they are immediately perceived also like a threat and it's boosting your oddness and numbness to the rooftop.
Hey thanks for this advice - it does give a lot of hope and direction. Are there any activities and exercises you did that help you take the mind off DPDR?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.