Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who do not know me, ten years ago I smoked a joint of marijuana and subsequently developed a dissociative disoder. This was approximately the 10th joint I had EVER smoked.

There is a plethora of information out there regarding the increased risk of mental illness due to the consumption of cannabis (marijuana) yet I was NOT ONCE warned of the risk. It is my personal mission to educate adolsecents of this risk. I would love to go to schools and share my story to the kids.

Why the post? Well, I am unsure where to start. Who should I contact? Any input? Is there a group which advocates the negative aspects of marijuana?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey,

Smoking pot was all I did growing up in highschool and stuff. When I was 16 I guess it finally hit me and so came the anxiety and dp that became me. I kept smokin on and off up until last month when DP no longer became controllable.

I TOTALLY know that weed causes mental illness. Nobody really says anything though. They say it's the most harmless drug, but if someone is predisposed to illness, which unfortunately is hard to know before you feel anything weird, then your gonna get messed up like I did.

Weed brought out everything bad inside me. And now I'm stuck like this forever. And the sad thing is, I miss it. It was fun. It made food taste amazing. It made music so much better. Good times, Bad times.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes I wonder if BC pot is the most potent (I've heard it is)... we should do a poll to see how many on the site are from BC. :D

Anyone know where I should start?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pigasus said:
Google? Nodid.org? I dunno. :oops:
Thanks Pigasus... not sure what to google. I would try to go through NODID but they are still in the process of forming (website is currently unfunctional). Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
723 Posts
In the PSE (personal and social education) curriculum it is required that kids learn about drugs. i think your best approach would be to join an ex drug users group if there is one in your area (look up drug councilling in the phone book and contact to find out the name of any groups). then contact the PSE co-ordinator in a few schools and say you would be prepared to give a talk on the effects of drug use. take it from there

G

·
There are two types of drug abusers or users, which ever term that you prefer. One is the kind who will occasionally use a drug and than one who use the drug on a regular basis.

I started off as what you could call a " weekend smoker" I would get high on weekends and things were ok as far as any " dissociative disorder". I did this for about two years or so. Of course I had other issues that I did not deal with and the stress, depression, and anxiety just compounded and built up. Than junior year or high school, good ol mary jane because a pretty big part of my life. I got high maybe 3, 4 times a week, I than started selling the greenery so I could have more at my disposal and perhaps make money. Basically my whole junior year I was smoked the fuck out, but I didn't even care. Meanwhile the anxiety, depression etc continued to build. No DP/DR or weird perceptual problems though. Than the summer came, and i cut waaaaaaaaaaaaay back, for a few months I didn't smoke at all, but low and behold at the end of the summer, I started up again and thats when the whole MENTAL FOG, DP/DR started. I kind of ignored it though thinking it would go away and continued to smoke alot. Than the panic attacks and than well............. the constant 24/7 strangeness.

I don't believe that Marijuana was the cause of my problems, but it was the TRIGGER to the misery that I live in today. Meaning I was prone to all of this because of my hidden anxiety and depression and for some reason after 3 & a half years of getting high, I must have smoked the wrong batch one day and something went off in my brain fucking everything up and unleashing this anxiety beast.

You can't just say well " marijuana is the only cause" because I know people who have been getting high every single day for like 5 years in a row and when it comes to " dissociative disorders" they are non existant in their life.

my suggestion to the average person would be, IF YOU HAVE ANY SORT OF DEPRESSION OR ANXIETY DO NOT USE DRUGS and DEAL WITH YOUR FUCKIN PROBLEMS BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

G

·
it's NEVER too late

unless of course your JASONFAR

:shock: :evil: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah! Thanks guys for 'degenerating' my post. SB, my mission is to warn others of the possibility that, if they are presdisposed, they may develop a serious mental illness following marijuana consumption. Furthermore, I would like to dispell the popular belief that you must smoke marijuana many times in order to trigger a serious mental disorder.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am currently waiting for a reply from the local RCMP (police) coordinator for the DARE program. DARE stands for drug awareness and resistance education. From what I recall, this group ventures into highschools and speak to kids about drugs. Hopefully that goes somewhere.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SoulBrotha said:
Uni I think thats a positive thing you are doing

I hope it works out in all seriousness
SB, that's nice of you. Thanks. I too hope it works out. I know it is a daunting task to get those young ones to listen to anyone about drugs, but if I can prevent one person from triggering a mental illness (marijuana-induced), I will be happy. I believe I have a good story to tell.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found some interesting stuff in an article entitled "Cannabis and the brain".

The active component in marijuana is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). When THC binds to its receptors in the brain, it seems as though the release of L-glutamate, GABA, noradrenaline, dopamine, 5-HT, and acetylcholine is inhibited.

Why is this interesting? Well, as for myself and many others, marijuana triggered our mental illnesses (not to say that a lesser mental illness did not previously exist). For myself, I felt as though the high from smoking the drug simply persisted for years. So, I am wondering if one or more of these neurotransmitters I mentioned above is in a limited amount? This always takes me back to the question of "Why not do a blood test for this?" because they do exist. But.... these tests are mostly unavailable in my country and in the USA they cost an arm and a leg. So I guess it's simply trial and error with meds and/or supplements.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Come on! Where are all of you marijuana-induced mental illness goers... I know you are out there. Any thoughts on my last post? I know I posted this (stuff about neurotransmitters) elsewhere a while back but I thought I would bring it into a brighter light.

·
Registered
853 Posts
yeh my dp was mosly induced by the green stuff and I think that people should know about the bad sides of that drug, but .. but they should also know about the positives as well as while I won't be indulging in the weed anytime soon I think people should be informed of both the risks of the drug but also know about its benefits, and I would advise anyone who was serious about wanting to try drugs that if any just smoke a little or reasnable amount of weed, as for the majority of people the drug has good effects, along with possible bad effects.

The active component in marijuana is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). When THC binds to its receptors in the brain, it seems as though the release of L-glutamate, GABA, noradrenaline, dopamine, 5-HT, and acetylcholine is inhibited.
This is IMO the bad bad thing about halluncinigians, they play with your chemistery so I think the thing that people need to be most aware of when taking drugs such as weed and the more potent hallucinnaging like magic mushrooms and LSD is the fact that it plays with your brain chemistery and also plays with the mind , so people should be in a stable state before taking them, not a time when you have lots of stress or work.

so in colcusion i would say to anyone thinking of taking drugs, be sensible its your mind and it's ultimatilly your desciosn as to whever or not you want to try them, I think people should know that many drugs have good and bad points like everything else.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts