Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, how are you? This a great site with a ton of great info.

So, I have some questions about marijuana and DP. When I was a teenager, (I'm in my 30's now) I tried weed. The first few times I did it, I did nothing to me. But maybe they 4th time I did it, it worked and put me into a heave DP state. It was the first time I had ever experienced DP and it was very terrifying. Luckily the feeling went away after a day or so. My natural reaction was to never try weed again. But being the not so smart teenager that I was (and the fact that every friend I had smoked it everyday), I kept doing it. But not much. From age 16 to about 20 I probably did weed a total of 10 or 11 times. Each time I did it, it would make me feel DP and was never an enjoyable experience. I think I kept doing it to fit in, but I also wanted to understand why people liked it so much. Anyway, around age 19 or 20 I decided that I was never going to do it again because of the DP and how I really never truly enjoyed weed. Plus being a little older, I was more mature and realized that it was pointless for me to keep doing it.

So about 8 years later after having never touched it again, I got DP again. This time it was not from weed, it was triggered from some personal things that were happening in my life then. This time it lasted over a year and it was one of the scariest feelings in my life. I remember telling my wife "I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy", and I still think that's true. Also, DP runs in my family. My mother has had it multiple times and even stayed in a psych ward for some time. She had ECT and all sorts of other procedures. I know she felt DP because she would describe it to me, but I'm not sure what else she was experiencing because she seemed way worse then I ever felt from it.

Anyway, not I'm in my late 30's and haven't touched weed in well over a decade. I suffer from depression, anxiety, and chronic sciatic nerve pain. I don't like taking opiates, so someone recommended to me CBD. I tried some of the oil and it really didn't do much for me. So someone suggested to me that I try cannabis again with the THC because the THC should help. I have to admit, I'm curious about trying it again. And I'll admit, it's not just about my pain, it's also because I'm curious what it would be like to feel high again and if it would have the same effect on me.

So, I guess my questions are; Is it wise for me to try it again? How likely is it to give me DP again? Can it make me feel DP for years? In fact, that's what I'm most afraid of. I can deal with feeling that way for a day or so, but I'm afraid it would induce permanent DP. Is this possible?

I know most of you will tell me not to do it, and truthfully I probably won't. But I have to admit, I'm curious. Any advice/insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
485 Posts
THC is more likely to cause dissociative effects than CBD. CBD is non psychoactive while THC is the main psychoactive compound in weed. Trying it is like playing with fire really, as many on here have had their dp triggered by weed, so why risk it? Youve even had it in the past from weed so its likely youll just get it again, and this time maybe you wont be so lucky.

Its also been said that there is speculation and possibly evidence (cant remember now) that smoking weed opens one up to the possibility of developing symptoms of psychosis in the future, regardless of whenever you stop using it. And there always is the possibility of an acute psychotic reaction, although rare.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Considering youve had dpdr on and off for years, your probably more pron to experiancing it since it your brains default when it realizes somethings wrong. I wouldnt recommend it as itll prob induce it again. Its induced dpdr in me many times as well, i even had two very bad trips from marijuanna that i have ptsd from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts