Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost completely recovered from DPDR now, i know how to recover (for me personally) and will do a recovery story explaining my experience and knowledge once i'm 100% (i'd say i'm about 90% currently). However i still really struggle with anxiety and low moods which may have given me a predisposition to DPDR even though it was weed induced, and i really want to try an SSRI to help with this once i'm recovered, but i'm worried from hearing a lot of people on this site saying SSRI's make their DPDR worse and wondering whether this means that it could possibly trigger my DPDR again. As i've stated i'm wanting to try SSRI's for my anxiety and not to help cure DPDR in any way, but do you think it could trigger it again if i'm prone to it or are they just meds that make dissociation worse while you have it? I've had my DPDR triggered twice from weed and suffered with it 24/7 for a long time so i want to be careful, i really don't want to go through this again but then my anxiety is an issue too. Any opinions greatly appreciated

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Essentially this is a risk-benefit-calculation. Only you know how much your anxiety and mood problems impact your quality of life and ability to function. It might also be wise to take into account that studies have shown that SSRIs only work better than placebo for people with severe symptoms. Hence if your residual problems are more of a nuisance SSRIs are less likely to work for them, but the risk will be the same. If an SSRI will send you back to hell is unforseeable.

Personally I started to try medication after medication only after I got symptoms that are so severe that a normal life became impossible and I got good reason to regard death as a better alternative. I had difficult periods before, but during these times my brain was still working quite normally. There I never seriously considered to take psychiatric drugs. This is probably a main difference to my current state. Now my brain is clearly not fully functional.

Psychiatric medications are meant to make your brain work normally again. They cannot make a normal working brain work "more normal".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Essentially this is a risk-benefit-calculation. Only you know how much your anxiety and mood problems impact your quality of life and ability to function. It might also be wise to take into account that studies have shown that SSRIs only work better than placebo for people with severe symptoms. Hence if your residual problems are more of a nuisance SSRIs are less likely to work for them, but the risk will be the same. If an SSRI will send you back to hell is unforseeable.

Personally I started to try medication after medication only after I got symptoms that are so severe that a normal life became impossible and I got good reason to regard death as a better alternative. I had difficult periods before, but during these times my brain was still working quite normally. There I never seriously considered to take psychiatric drugs. This is probably a main difference to my current state. Now my brain is clearly not fully functional.

Psychiatric medications are meant to make your brain work normally again. They cannot make a normal working brain work "more normal".
Thanks i appreciate the reply and agree it's probably very hard know what will happen need to think and weigh up the options

Sorry to hear of your struggle with this horrible disorder, i hope you can find something that works for you. Yeah i definitely don't think an SSRI is going to be a miracle cure for my issues and they're likely to not help but i want to at least try as there are definitely success stories out there

·
Administrator
977 Posts
If you just want something mild to help calm you and lift your mood you could try something over-the-counter like St John's Wort. There is probably a common SSRI that can help you but there's no guarantee it will be the first one you try. I've had ones that made me feel better and ones that made me feel worse.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was on Prozac for roughly 2 months for OCD and dp/dr and it actually made my dp/dr worse. There were times I looked at my husband and said "I just feel very confused right now". Ironically, the Prozac also didn't do a thing for my OCD. I weaned myself off of it. This past summer, I asked my doctor for something else and he prescribed me an anti-anxiety medication, buspirone. Again, the medication did absolutely nothing for my anxiety. Didn't touch it at all. I've been off of the damned medication for about two or three days now and I actually feel slightly better. It's baffling and I've slowly come to the realization that medication isn't the answer for me and from what I'm hearing from other people, it's not the answer for many others.

Yes, many people benefit tremendously from medication and for those people, thank goodness it is available to them! But it's not an end all. I used to assume that prescription meds would always answer issues. Oh, feeling depressed? Take an antidepressant! Feeling anxious? There is a medication for that! In many cases, meds make the issues worse or they just don't help at all. In other cases, even if the meds work, the side effects are too much for the person to handle. In other instances, people try dozens of medications before finding the right one, which is great at the end but frustrating during the process.

Do not underestimate the power of supplements and vitamins! I always used to think that a supplement was nothing compared to a doctor written prescription. Yeah, not true. The only thing that's helped my OCD and anxiety in the past was a pseudo vitamin known as inositol. You can buy it at Walmart. Studies have shown it to be more effective at relieving anxiety than prescription meds and about 4x better at relieving OCD than prescription SSRIs.

CBT may also help with your anxiety and mood issues, and it's a long-term option without any side effects, as it's just a way for you to train your brain to perceive thoughts and feelings differently.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We r in same situation i have recovered lately but its the hell coz of social anxiety and low confidence Im confused if i take ssri or not , i felt recovered 10 months ago and since that Im socially anxios with very low self esteem

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been on maaaaaaaany different meds since my DP/DR was induced by a weed panic attack. None of the meds have made the DP/DR any worse, only the same or better. My current med regimen includes an SSRI + Atypical Antipsychotic + Benzo and I am finally recovering! Like you, I also suffer/suffered from a very low mood/hopelessness/lack of motivation after DP/DR. The meds are finally starting to work! I would highly recommend my med combo! (I know everyone is different but damn, I finally found meds that work!):

Trintellix (SSRI) 20 mg

Rexulti (Atypical Antipsychotic) 3 mg

Klonopin (Benzo) 0.5 mg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts