Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is happening while we’re dp’d? Like I’m trying to understand why is it here? Is it cortisol in my body as to why we feel disconnected?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I am not a doctor and I will just say what I personally think and where I have my opinion from :

it is basically caused by anxiety and/or trauma

imagine you are experiencing something extreme like an accident or any other situation where you get scared . while in the extreme situation your senses are sharp so you can deal with the situation better but shortly afterwards when the danger is over you will feel shaky and also feel as if you "stand beside yourself" and be confused for a while too .

the problem with us people who suffer from dp/dr is that this feeling is prolonged . "normal" people will be okay very shortly after that and will be able to continue normally while in our case it is almost as if the situation is still present

and dp/dr is fueled a lot by anxiety

thats at least what I got from a video that helped me a lot :

it is in german though :

the 4 tips he is giving to beat dr/dp :

1. accept your situation and dont try to fight against it

2. try to lower your anxiety levels

3. dont check yourself the whole time like "is this arm really mine " "am I the person in the mirror" etc. . and just try to not bother with it

4. live your life as if you dont have dr/dp . try to have fun and live a good life and try to ignore the dp/dr

he is also saying that all people have dr/dp but that because of the fact that most "normal" have the 4 points I/he listed already in themselves and dont suffer from extra anxiety and/or dont analyze everything too much they quickly turn to normal

however keep in mind that the man in the video is not a doctor and neither am I . I am just writing roughly what he is saying and what he is saying makes sense to me

thats all I can say so far

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know this already lol trust me I’m living as if nothing happened but I’m just trying to understand what’s happening inside the body for us to feel that way. If I’m not anxious but it’s still there... idk, I see my dr tomorrow so I can ask him then

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I make this analogy - think of your brain as a radio tuner. To get a clear audio signal, your radio has to be tuned exactly to the carrier frequency. The further out of tune you are, the

sorrier the audio. Your brain's tuner is the temporal lobe. Researchers say the temporal lobe is "exquisitely prone to insult". This means that it is easily "de-tuned" by psychoactive

drugs, as mild as cannabis or MDMA. Some relate that emotional stress can also do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts