Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Can alcohol be the problem?

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  gimpy34 
#1 ·
Since this DP started I quit smoking and drinking almost immediately. I was never a heavy smoker, 3-4 cigarettes a day and sometimes less, but I used to drink like a fish(beer most of the time), my liver or stomach never gave me any problems.

Can there be a possible link between alcohol withdrawl and DP\DR states?

P.S
My anxiety levels dropped dramatically since I stopped drinking about 2 weeks ago.

#3 ·
I think you are right, but I still can't understand this DP.

If I could get drunk right now I already know that all the symptoms of DP would be washed away, but then I'll start getting mad anxiety again what would increase my DP. It is like a loop. Drinking alcohol to supress anxiety would like trying to extinguish a flame with gasoline.

Someone told me once that alcohol was the stupidest and pointless drug on the planet, I remember laughing at that time and taking that as a joke.

Now I guess I can realize how stupid I was...

#4 ·
alcohol decreases GABA in the brain, it is after all a drug. so yes, if you stop drinking, your anxiety level will go down, and dp/dr symptoms can improve. there's also a much longer cortisol/liver function connection that i won't bore you with. but according to my doctor alcohol played a HUGE part in the makings of my current mess-of-a-brain. :wink:

-ru

#5 ·
I never thought that alcohol could induce such states.
My main concern was to stay away from drugs such as E, LSD, Weed etc..

Have you had any improvements since you quit drinking, or I am gonna have to live with this DP crap for the rest of my natural life?

Xanax only helps to relief anxiety, does not do a damn thing about DP\DR.

I also heard some good things about L-theanine as a safe anxiety/DP relief herb. Anyone had any experience with it?

#6 ·
i didn't mean that alcohol was the only thing i was doing.
imho, what causes DP/DR is the intense feeling of fear that we experience during a bad trip on any drug, the drug itself is irrelevant. bad trips don't usually happen with alcohol.

but, alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and even too much exercise are stressors that increase anxiety and deplete the body from its natural anti-stress hormone, cortisol. the more messed up my life got, the more i drank, and the more dp'ed i got. and yes, it has gotten a LOT better since 4 months ago.

I tried l-theanine, helped me sleep much better, but that's about it.

-rula

#8 ·
Depersonalized. I agree that xanax does little for dp/dr. BUt it does take the edge off the anxiety.

I posted awhile back on alcohol, and I may be an unique case, but using or not using alcohol makes no difference in symptom reduction, at last for me. I have heard the arguements about anxiety and alcohol, and they are apparantly true. But for me after repeated experiments of abstinence (five year stretch on one occasion) it made diddly damn of a difference. Alcohol is poison, I am not espousing it, I am only speaking to the context here.
jft

#9 ·
i have come out of the denial involved with my drinking and ive been dry for 3 weeks,now it doesnt seem like a long time but its the longest ive gone without a drink in 16 years...
and my life has improved radically,the anxiety is still there the dp is still there but without a hangover and distorted thoughts im able to control my thoughts and emotions as my energy is restored so im now looking on the possitive as opposed to when drinking it was all negative...you know 'whats the point' etc...now im just giving myself a good kick up the backside..

life is better without drink....friday and saturday nights are a bitch but sacrifices had to be made

G
#10 ·
i used to injoy a couple of margaritas out during dinner before i had dr.. i remember how good the feeling was and how relaxed it made me feel... the problem now is i cant injoy the feelings anymore and get very anxious when i have a drink.. its like my mind and body cant allow myself to feel relaxed.. does this happen to anyone else.. i used to take night time nyquil and it made me feel sleepy when i didnt feel good.. the same thing here i cant really feel the affects like i used to.. i took some 2 weeks ago when i had the flu and went into a panic attack because of how it made me feel.. it was like my mind was fighting the affects and i attached fear with the feelings..so strange..Doug

#12 ·
I don't know exactly how good or bad alcohol is for DP/DR, but I do know that since I've had the illness drinking has lost all its fun.

I simply don't enjoy getting "off my face" so much anymore. It used to seem obviously fun, now it's not.

If it helps you relax and have a good time, then I see no reason not to drink in moderation. But like anything, in excess it's not going to help your symptoms.

G
#13 ·
drinking used to be fun, but then I got a bit too reliant on it...thinking yeh ill get wasted again..i used to really enjoy it..now I'm stuck in this rut and I've not touched a drink for a while now...It's good cos I don't have the need for it...I don't wanna do anymore damage than what's already been done....

#14 ·
Same here. I know that in order to feel relaxed again I need to get real annihilated, a few drinks will just cause more anxiety and panic.
DP kinda reminds me about real bad hangovers, except those were even worse.

DP keeps my mind alert all the time, I hate this self-monitoring state, always checking out how I feel. Thats probably why I can't enjoy alcohol anymore.

#15 ·
hey all, ive been wondering about this for a while,i drink every friday and satuardy night, and imo it makes the short term symtoms of dp 10 times worse, i just put up with it cus going out is my life, but my overall symtoms are getting slowly worse and worse, i really wanna know what is the long term effects to dp sufferers. if i cant go out and get drunk ima gonna be very sad indeed. For me when i drink all my symtoms go away, it doesnt give me any anxiety at all but i do feel fucked right up the next day! soo im just gonna only drinking one night a week and in moderation now and see what happens , anyone thats been through the whle binge drinking phase with dp let me know what u think of it. chers jay

#16 ·
your talking to the king of binge drinkers here and the honest answer is its just not worth it...

i ended up having an ambulance come to my house to check me over after a 7 day binge,i wasnt eating and i started having stomach cramps,and the mental symptoms were horrendous....until i can convince myself that i can safely have just a couple of drinks im off the sauce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.