Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Breathing & control

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Tj 
#1 ·
Hi,

Not much DP anymore, but I can't get rid of this obsessive need to observe and control my breathing.

It's gone so far that I sometimes have heart pain and really "heavy head" because of hyperventilating or not breathing too much. It's really disturbing, and I'm finding it really hard to root that problem to anything else except being just naturally an anxious person to begin with.

Sometimes when I inhale it feels like my head is tightening up, and then I start observing my breathing and everything goes to hell.

Any thoughts ?

Tj

#3 ·
Tj

This has become my insomnia causing problem, for some reason I have been having this problem, especially when lying down relaxing. It feels like I should be physically controlling my breathing or it wont do it itself. I dont know why this has suddenly occurred or what causes it so i cant help you there im afraid.

OCD?!? Ive never thought of that, what can stop it

#5 ·
Hi,

Johnny, I hope that wasn't meant as a joke...

Some history about me. I'm a "long-time" DP sufferer, I've had it since 2000, but since going to psychoanalysis 2.5 years ago (still going), the DP has subsided a lot, almost non-existant nowadays.

However, despite sorting a lot of my own personal problems and understanding about myself more, I've been unable to stop anxiety attacks and stop the need for self-control (obsession).

I know what OCD is, but I've never been officially diagnosed with it. I like to stay away from labels, because they are for the most part totally irrelevant and often also plain wrong.

I guess some basic SSRI medication could do the trick here too, but I haven't had anything for the past 3 years since I started therapy. I'm determined to keep it that way. Just thought people here could have some pointers about this one.

Tj

G
#6 ·
CAUTION to all: MAJOR psychoanalytic-speak coming up, grin

I know TJ very well, for a long time...so what I'm about to say is to HIM (he and I have discussed analysis, etc...) Anyone else reading this will think I'm nuts, lol

Hi, TJ one!
Okay. Here we go. You're probably making great strides in la analysis, but we also know how hard the entire production has always been for you. Three steps forward, and two back - just to show that YOU are in control and not the treatment.

Your breathing obsession is likely connected to the Symbol of "I'm not sure how much I'm going to TAKE IN at this point....I'm on guard...the analyst is not going to FORCE anything into me without my watching every breath."

So you translate that fear of "stuff" coming into you against your will into obsessive monitoring/observation of every breath that enters.

Keep your guard up.
No surprises.

Stay in charge at all costs.

And then you can't breathe without thinking about it.

Love you, MISSED you,
Janine

#7 ·
Whoa I got that

What happened to your butterfly janine?

speaking of p-analysis, I'm reading this one book with a passage that would be fun to bring up in my german history class, unfortunately, since I have a mad crush on the teacher, it would be quite awkward to show him the source of the book...an EXTREMELY freudian text called "formations of fantasy" (most of which I don't really understand yet)...heh...might still bring it up anyway...whoops i said bring it up...freudian slip..haha

#8 ·
Hi,

Funny to find this old one here. Umm.. not that old though actually. Well, as it is... I haven't had anything like this in a long time. Actually, I have no symptoms of anything anymore. Just life...

It's weird what happens to you in the analysis... plain weird. I got better. But that's a completely different story. I might tell it someday, if anyone's interested.

Take care everyone :).

Tj

#10 ·
Hi Spirit,

Sure I remember you... quite well :).

Thanks, it's just so refreshing to read this kind of stuff. I am sure there are plenty of others "old-timers" who have already forgotten about this stuff altogether. Many just don't bother posting anything later on, when they are well.

I don't mind though. People who feel bad need to know that their life is not == DP. It's difficult to believe... but those of us who have been around know how it goes.

You too stay well, and take care!

Tj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.