Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been listening to audio books lately.

I found a few that has been healthy for anxiety, motivation and other key components in phycology and life.

I'll name 3. Feel free to join in, i'm not interested in DP books however.

1. The Road Less Travelled - I think everyone should read this, very good, written by a physiatrist

2. The Chimp Paradox - Excellent, again phycology book on how fear works

3. 3% man, although this is a relationship book there are chapters, such as one where you list qualities you want in someone on one side and don't on another, to find someone like this, the author explains you need to become these, if anything I found that fascinating.

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm a reader, but not a big fan of audio books. I do own "They Marched into Sunlight" by David Maraniss. This audio book tells the true story of the 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment Iblack lions), 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam on October 17th, 1967.

The Bn was on a search and destroy mission near a stream named Ong Thanh, when they came upon a trench line late in the afternoon. They made plans to enter the area in force on the following day, expecting to make contact with a North Vietnamese Army

unit of unknown siize. That NVA unit turned out to be the 271st Viet Cong Regiment, which has 3 Bns totaling approximately 1200 men.Two under strength companies of 2/28 entered the woods. One and a half US infantry companies ceased to exist during

the first few minutes of firing. I believe 158 Americans were killed, and only 2 VC bodies were found following the engagement. The truth of this engagement was hidden for years from the American public and other US military units in Vietnam.

A book I found helpful to understanding mental illness was "The Broken Brain" by Dr. Nancy Andreasen. It was the first book I read that suggested there might actually be a physical illness as the root cause of my mental illness. She was right!

I also learned several things from author Claire Weekes who is an internationally acclaimed author of self help anxiety books. I have experienced some odd and unique symptoms which Claire expounded upon in at least one of her books.

I learned I had experienced "Exploding Head Syndrome". Yup! You can google it. It is for real, and it happened to me. It typically happens to people who are experiencing profound insomnia. I was laying sleepless in bed when I heard a loud explosion as if a grenade

had gone off near my head. It wasn't frightening as much as it was very odd. I had no explanation for it at the time. I did just google it again, and wiki now says (among other things) that it could be caused by temporal lobe seizure. I didn't know it at the time, but I would

later be diagnosed with significant pathology in my temporal lobe, consistent with someone with a history of a temporal lobe seizure disorder.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I learned I had experienced "Exploding Head Syndrome". Yup! You can google it. It is for real, and it happened to me. It typically happens to people who are experiencing profound insomnia. I was laying sleepless in bed when I heard a loud explosion as if a grenade

had gone off near my head. It wasn't frightening as much as it was very odd. I had no explanation for it at the time. I did just google it again, and wiki now says (among other things) that it could be caused by temporal lobe seizure. I didn't know it at the time, but I would

later be diagnosed with significant pathology in my temporal lobe, consistent with someone with a history of a temporal lobe seizure disorder.
Holy shit, so this is what I've been occasionally experiencing for the last couple of years. Sometimes as I'm about to fall asleep, there's this extremely loud, painful distorted sound, and I sort of feel a weird pressure. Great to know.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A book I found helpful to understanding mental illness was "The Broken Brain" by Dr. Nancy Andreasen. It was the first book I read that suggested there might actually be a physical illness as the root cause of my mental illness. She was right!
I mention audiobooks as it's got me into books, sorry if I made that unclear.

Yes, I am finding out that my DP is physical in nature, we have talked at length of my days awake, it is turning out or being investigated to be an issue with my sympathetic nervous system, doesn't mean anxiety underneath is causing DP but does mean that i've got to fix the route before the result of it can be cured. *I've symptoms for anyone reading that are not typical DP ones*

All great suggestions, added to a long list

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
"Holy shit, so this is what I've been occasionally experiencing for the last couple of years. Sometimes as I'm about to fall asleep, there's this extremely loud, painful distorted sound, and I sort of feel a weird pressure. Great to know."

I'm happy for you to know it. My episode of exploding head syndrome actually did signal the end of a horrid period of insomnia, and was therefore benevolent (if not odd) in nature.

Another symptom which I suffered in ignorance for a decade before coming to understand it was my frequent ocular migraines. They lasted about a half hour, and at the height of the

ocular distortions, I was pretty much blinded by the colorful waveform imposed over my vision. How are you supposed to live with shit like that without knowing? When I was told by

a neurologist what they were, I didn't even care there was no treatment. (at that time, I don't know about now). I was just so happy to know that someone else understood what

was happening with me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts