Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
216 Posts
It should not be the direct result of DP, imo, but rather the outcome of other things caused by DP, such as less motivation for outdoor activities, exercise and such. However, if you feel that is not your case, perhaps it would be worth checking the hormones and the complete blood count, of course in consultation with medical professional.

Take care,

A.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
One of the many symptoms which was overlooked, leaving me un-diagnosed with an epileptic disorder as a teenager,

was "pallor". Following a severe epileptic seizure, my complexion took an unhealthy tint which I would describe as

mildly jaundiced. Decades later, when I finally put it all together, I recognized "pallor" in the list of symptoms and clearly

recalled making that observation of myself. My temporal lobe seizure was preceded by a "rising sensation" from my abdomen,

and it followed the Vagus nerve to my brain. Rising sensations are podromal auras sometimes identified as abdominal aura,

or epigastric aura. They are lesser seizures which precede the larger temporal lobe seizure. Thanks for asking this question,

as it led me to the following link, which gives me more background for my own illness, but probably doesn't help you much at

all. (lol)

https://www.epilepsy.com/living-epilepsy/epilepsy-and/professional-health-care-providers/challenging-cases/attacks-rising-sensations-pallor-and-loss-consciousness

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for this what other symptoms did you experience and what medicine are you using to treat this my brother used to have seizures which is kind of weird.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
The epileptic event I mention occurred when I was 17. 40 years later I had googled myself into a British Neurological library

and I was reading case histories when I found the case history that explained the events which changed my life at age 17.

I learned I had been suffering from a rare epileptic syndrome and the worst case scenario was when "the post - ictal psychosis segues into

an affective disorder of major or bipolar depression". And so I suffered an episode of major depression about every 8 years.

The depressions featured severe insomnia and anxiety with significant weight loss. I also experienced frequent ocular

migraine with visual aura. Those episodes took about a half hour and at the height of the aura, I was near blinded by it.

Several of my depressive episodes were literally struggles for survival. I also had focal temporal lobe seizures, which could be

intense episodes of deja vu, or altered states of consciousness. I battled this stuff in ignorance for 40 years. At age 57 I had taken

an early retirement from my job and with my enlightenment I asked for an EEG. When the neurologist got the results, she said

"you're disabled". A time study EEG showed I wasn't experiencing seizures in my 50s, so I was never treated for epileptic seizures.

They went away on their own. That left the depression to deal with. In 2014, I started down the slippery slope of my 5th episode,

and I decided to be treated with ECT. (shock therapy). It was a game changer for me. I would say I have experienced just about

every psych symptom in the book. And, just about every one went away with the ECT. I still have occasional migraine aura and I

hope I can get through my 8th year since ECT without another depressive episode. I recently resumed a maintenance dose of Lexapro

(20mg), which I found to be the SSRI with least side effects for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts