Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the third time this has happened to me, I am pretty sick right now which is very rare for me but my derealization is like 90% gone (it feels fucking phenomenal). 2 other times that I have been sick in the past like 6 years this happened too but it was more around 40%. It came so abruptly yesterday after work and it has continued throughout today, I have spent all my free time at work today looking up to why this would be possible... nothing comes close to explaining it but maybe I have a weak immune system and now my body is making more white blood cells to heal itself which is healing the DP? I really hope it doesn't go away when I am better but has anyone here experienced anything similar? or does any one have any medical knowledge to explain this?

I kinda wanna stay sick now haha

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am glad this has finally been brought up again. Ive seen this talked about very rarely on here and it reminds of something else I also experience, which is feeling better sometimes when tired or with less sleep. I also used to feel something similar the day after drinking a long time ago. I never found any real answers about why this happens but found a few others that have had the same thing. I remember someone suggesting once that maybe its because it distracts the mind. I dont know.

I feel like I might be wrongly conflating feeling better when sick, with feeling better when tired or hungover etc...but I think it has to be connected somehow. Its when the body is rundown probably. Do you also experience this when tired or on less sleep?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Physical illnesses almost make DP sufferers feel real again...You will often hear DP sufferers say I would rather have any physical illness in the world than the mental torture that goes on constantly inside my mind...

Honestly if you are feeling better mentally dont analyse it ...Just go with it.....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am glad this has finally been brought up again. Ive seen this talked about very rarely on here and it reminds of something else I also experience, which is feeling better sometimes when tired or with less sleep. I also used to feel something similar the day after drinking a long time ago. I never found any real answers about why this happens but found a few others that have had the same thing. I remember someone suggesting once that maybe its because it distracts the mind. I dont know.

I feel like I might be wrongly conflating feeling better when sick, with feeling better when tired or hungover etc...but I think it has to be connected somehow. Its when the body is rundown probably. Do you also experience this when tired or on less sleep?
No, Normally if I don't get a lot of sleep my DR and brain fog gets a lot worse. I try to run my body down as much as possible because it does help a little bit, I will hike for 3 days in a row until every muscle in my legs are sore and the physical exhaustion helps the DR. This however is way stronger than that so idk.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Physical illnesses almost make DP sufferers feel real again...You will often hear DP sufferers say I would rather have any physical illness in the world than the mental torture that goes on constantly inside my mind...

Honestly if you are feeling better mentally dont analyse it ...Just go with it.....
I know ha I have been telling myself not to focus on it too much as I don't want to ruin the experience, but today its still here but I am also still pretty sick so we will have to see what happens when its gone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Omg i was just thinking of posting something similar to this today because ive been super sick the past 4 days and my dpdr, depression and anxiety are all almost non existent. I think it probably has to do with the fact that it distracts you from thinking about dpdr. Is it wierd that for the longest time i WANTED to get sick so i could know if i was still alive? Lol

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I wish DP was understood well enough to give an answer to your question. If the symptoms are changing based on physiological factors (what you eat, if you're sick, etc.) then that seems like evidence that there is a physiological component to the DP. It's known that mental health problems have these aspects (for instance, depressed people's brain scans tend to look a certain way) but they're still not all well understood.
Everything about DP is pure speculation and trial and error...

What causes it, what maintains its persistence, what fixes it...You will find nearly everybody on here has found a different way to deal with it or even cure it....But nobody can truly say what was at the heart of it in the first place or truly what made them better (probably pure luck TBH)...

DP in the world of mental health is a total grey area....Its under researched, Its often written off as something else and doctors dont like giving a diagnosis of it....How often have you heard "Your just a bit anxious and depressed" ......... The amount of therapists ive seen over the years who literally stared back at me blankly when I told them I was experiencing DP has been astonishing....NONE of them had a clue about what I was talking about....I eventually gave up on them all....I gave up on psychiatrists and the mental health services too....Its an absolute joke in this country anyway....They pep talk you for 10 minutes write you a repeat prescription and send you on your merry way even more puzzled than when you went in in the first place....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Someone mentioned that they feel better when not sleeping, while someone else said the opposite. For me, it's both! If I don't sleep well, or enough, and have to engage physically or mentally in a daily activity like studying or going out in the next day, then it is fucking exhausting and I get spaced out and my cognitive abilities drop greatly and I know the day is gone to shit. But if it is weekend, and perhaps I stayed up for so long, got past that shitty state, I reach some semi-euphoric stage! I feel so energized and much much more like my(old)self. It is so bizarre.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Someone mentioned that they feel better when not sleeping, while someone else said the opposite. For me, it's both! If I don't sleep well, or enough, and have to engage physically or mentally in a daily activity like studying or going out in the next day, then it is fucking exhausting and I get spaced out and my cognitive abilities drop greatly and I know the day is gone to shit. But if it is weekend, and perhaps I stayed up for so long, got past that shitty state, I reach some semi-euphoric stage! I feel so energized and much much more like my(old)self. It is so bizarre.
Can totally relate to this......

Weekends are alot less stressful .........(Coincidence???? .....I dont think so)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
It's known that pulling all-nighters increases dopamine and things like that. I personally don't feel good from all-nighters, but plenty of people do.
Its long been my belief that irregular "Dopamine" levels are whats at the heart of DP....Of course I cant prove it.....

This is why Atypicals in low doses can help DP sufferers...They regulate Dopmaine levels....Certainly did in my own case and still continue to do so many years later...

Then when you combine this with a low dose Anti Depressant your anxiety levels can be managed better and your mood can lift....

This has been my own personal experience with meds....Without them im f****d.....Nothing else I ever tried did anything for the chronic DP I used to experience...My DP is basically managed by meds...I have also vastly improved my lifestyle on top of that but without the meds I literallly cease to function...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts