Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'll try and make this post as short as possible.

I'm very confused with my life right now. I started training as a psychotherapist over a year ago. I started training after being in therapy for 6 years and feeling like my mental health was as much under control as it could be (even though my DP aid chronic). The pressure from my course is making my DP worse and I became dependent on Valium over the summer which I had to titrate, but I think I'm experiencing protracted withdrawal from the Valium which is manifesting as heightened DP. I'm feeling pretty lost and apathetic about life at the moment. I'm not suicidal but couldn't say I care that much for being alive.

Anyway, even though I'm interested in mental health, I don't think I can deal with the interpersonal aspect of being a therapist. I think it's important to have some social interaction in whatever work I do, but it has to be in a way that doesn't trigger me or make me dread going into work.

Does anyone have any ideas of what kinds of jobs would suit someone with DP? I'd just like to get some ideas for now and then will do some research as to what suits me in terms of my interests, other job preferences etc.

Thanks in advance for any input given ????.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've DP since 2005. I'm a freelance web developer. I've been working from home for 3yrs.

I'm able to distract myself by working on interesting problems. This has been my main strength to get through the past 5yrs.

I don't know what I would've done otherwise.

So I think it's important to find a job that's stimulating (to the brain).

Perhaps not putting pickles on cheeseburgers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've DP since 2005. I'm a freelance web developer. I've been working from home for 3yrs.
I'm able to distract myself by working on interesting problems. This has been my main strength to get through the past 5yrs.
I don't know what I would've done otherwise.

So I think it's important to find a job that's stimulating (to the brain).
Perhaps not putting pickles on cheeseburgers.
Hey Abe89,

Thanks for your response. Working from home appeals a lot to me and I think being able to immerse yourself in
problems that require intense concentration must at least provide some immediate relief. I thought about maybe taking a proofreading course as it would allow me to work on my own a lot, though I believe part of my DP is linked to social anxiety and avoidance, so I'm not sure this would be very helpful for me in the long run.

Do you manage to have much social interaction outside of your job?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well Jf90, my background is a bit different. Few years ago I realized I behave a little odd than other people sometimes.
Like in a insensitive and manic sort of way. Then I thought it's a combination of Bipolar and Aspergers. But recently I realized I've a neurological condition since childhood that's related to Epilepsy. I hope to find a diagnosis soon but in Sri Lanka I don't have easy access to neurological treatments.

I don't try to interact with people much because of that reason. I've changed my life style to have less interaction with people to save myself much grief.
Since I'm quite used to DPD now I don't think I've social anxiety due to DPD.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
As a teen, I never had the opportunity to work fast food. ( I'm older than Ronald McDonald.)

I have worked in a few dying industries that I wouldn't recommend.

I was a pin setter at a bowling alley. (automatic pin setting now)

I worked for a nuclear engineering firm. (It's on the ropes)

I worked in a steel mill. (out of business)

I worked for the post office.(on the ropes)

I wouldn't be surprised to see therapist as the next profession on

the ash heap of history, as science correlates

mental illness with specific gene sequences.

Those pickles are starting to look like job security, huh?

(just kidding)

·
Registered
14 Posts
As a teen, I never had the opportunity to work fast food. ( I'm older than Ronald McDonald.)
I have worked in a few dying industries that I wouldn't recommend.
I was a pin setter at a bowling alley. (automatic pin setting now)
I worked for a nuclear engineering firm. (It's on the ropes)
I worked in a steel mill. (out of business)
I worked for the post office.(on the ropes)
I wouldn't be surprised to see therapist as the next profession on
the ash heap of history, as science correlates
mental illness with specific gene sequences.
Those pickles are starting to look like job security, huh?
(just kidding)
Regardless of whether mental illnesses are correlated with specific gene sequences as you say, people in psychological turmoil still appreciate having someone skilled in listening to talk to. So I can't see talking therapies diminishing that soon. Though that doesn't mean I necessarily want to be the one offering them, especially in light of my growing disillusionment in them offering a "cure" or long term change. Nonetheless, I'd like to find a way of making enough money to afford my genetic transplant when the time comes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts