Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my OCD from DR has me obsessing about “being human”. I know it sounds so lame but like being these bodies with eyes looking out, everything about it, has me overthinking. Does anyone else ever have these thoughts? :( I hate anxiety and OCD!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol we are super alike with our experiences. I hate I’m going thru this again. Any advice?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh that’s the problem. I’m unemployed right now and hanging out with my 5 month old baby is not taking up enough brain power, as much as I love her :( Having time to concentrate on any of these thoughts is always killer

·
Registered
90 Posts
In DR, the whole world (including your body) is suddenly strange and unfamiliar. (In DP, it is your self.)

The meaning/sense/reality everything was imbued with has somehow been overriden by doubt, and it has become tinged with strangeness.

I think that's why DR can diminish a little when you are in new places or situations. The loss of familiarity is felt all the more acutely when you're in familiar surroundings.

DR/DP is like the opposite of a psychotic break or the ordinary dream state. In both cases, all kinds of crazy, random meanings are projected onto the world (or self), and the individual is incapable of doubting them. The critical faculty is asleep.

Derealization is like a hyper-sane state. Doubt is cast over everything and meaning doesn't stick, except when you are consciously holding it there as with strong emotions and obsessive thinking. The critical faculty is switched on all the time. (I had a lot of lucid dreams during DR.)

In the non-DR state, it takes a tremendous effort to doubt something to the point that it feels strange and new, and it is hard to prolong the perceptions. Like repeating a word fifty times until it starts to sound strange, or sitting in an intense state of one-pointed concentration in meditation just to glimpse the kinds of things you can see effortlessly in DR.

It's so easy to project new meanings onto things in DR, and part of the anxiety is the dizziness of the freedom you feel: a single thought has the power to mentally transport you from one reality or perspective to another, and there are seemingly unlimited ways of looking at the world.

My lack of understanding of DR/DP made the anxiety worse, so I'm sharing this in the hope that it will give you some relief.

My advice as someone who's been through it many times and come out on the other side stronger is to not let it interfere with your life. In fact, do let it interfere with your life, but positively, by reacting against it. Live your life all the more intensely, and confront the more worldly challenges you face in everyday life. (See my other recent posts for more concrete advice.)

Lately my OCD from DR has me obsessing about "being human". I know it sounds so lame but like being these bodies with eyes looking out, everything about it, has me overthinking. Does anyone else ever have these thoughts? :( I hate anxiety and OCD!

·
Registered
62 Posts
RICHARD i notice that is strange to exist to see view like i notice that now vision is separated from hearing in my brain like i depend only of my brain to be is like some great truth that is killing me with great anxiety i can never forghet this hororro and strange info how can i be a ordinary human that to accept that i need to belive what i see ? To accept that i am human to accept this strangest info that is super strange to see to notice the eyes are two cameras that are fillming 30fps ????

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Just Liviu,

I have noticed all the strange things you see. I have gone a lot deeper and seen more. (I won't talk about those things!)

Now, there is no emotion when I think about them. I'm not afraid at all.

Your fear is what creates the horror. Emotion is what makes it all feel so real.

It's possible to see these strange things you see and feel curiosity, wonder, awe, and positive feelings.
Sadly, we fall into negative emotions more easily. We see threats everywhere -- mistaking a piece of rope for a snake.

I am astonished that my brain could be blown up thousands of times, and I could fall back to earth in one piece.
Your brain is really incredible and powerful. You should trust it. It can handle anything.

You have lots of energy and time to worry about these things.
Spend that energy and time somewhere else, as much as possible.

If you're working hard, playing hard, lifting weights and pushing yourself to the limit in many ways, you take away the energy.

Then you will start to forget.
Even if you don't do this, you will become bored with these thoughts. Maybe then you will scare yourself with different thoughts!

But eventually you will have more ordinary fears. One of my biggest fears is heights, even though I used to climb. It's a good, healthy fear to have!

>> the eyes are two cameras that are fillming 30fps

It's the other way around! Eyes are not like cameras: cameras are like eyes, and only because we made cameras like eyes.

Your eye can see at 1000fps! On my 144hz monitors, I can easily see the frames skipping when I move the mouse pointer around, and it's even easier to see on a 60hz monitor.

The eyes are a lot more complicated than the most complex camera. And even just the visual cortex in the brain is more intelligent than the best computer vision AI running on the combined power of every computer on the planet.

RICHARD i notice that is strange to exist to see view like i notice that now vision is separated from hearing in my brain like i depend only of my brain to be is like some great truth that is killing me with great anxiety i can never forghet this hororro and strange info how can i be a ordinary human that to accept that i need to belive what i see ? To accept that i am human to accept this strangest info that is super strange to see to notice the eyes are two cameras that are fillming 30fps ????

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Distraction is definitely the key and I need to find more of that. I get myself so anxious over these thoughts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts