Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to notice recently and understand the feelings I am having when I am on my own.

What I am trying to do now is come up with a coping strategy for being so frightened when I am on my own.

I have recently discovered when I am on my own the following sensations occur.

1) I instantly become overly conscious of myself and that I am alone

2) I panic because there is nobody to talk to so I talk to myself in my head.

3) I have a kind of "castaway" moment where I think I am going to go insane because I am on my own and will have to talk to myself.

4) I become extremely self aware and then end up being split in my mind as I can't work out who I am any more because I have thought too deeply about being alone and then I hear my own voice and get confused. "Whose voice is that?" "Wait, who is talking now?"

This then brings on extreme DPD and a panic attack.

All of this happens within seconds now and I am so used to it happening I bring it on myself almost on purpose in expectation of whats going to happen.

Any tips and how to stop this happening?

Ben

·
Registered
66 Posts
A technique that could work for you. When you feel this process happening:

1) make yourself aware of the fact that the thoughts you're having are just thoughts and nothing more

2) bring your full attention to your immediate surroundings

-Repeat until you feel better

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is exactly how I feel when I am alone! I couldn´t describe it better. I thought there is no one else, who feels this way. I started a topic "Fear of being alone" just a few minutes ago and then I found this. I feel so crazy when I am alone (and sometimes I get it even with people, but I guess, that it is because of DP). Well, it is all the time because of DP probably. But it feels terrifying, when you don´t feel okay with yourself, like "what shoud I do with myself?"

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have this too. Its almost like i can't find myself anymore, sort of like the egg chicken who came first sitatuion. I am not sure who asked "who am I" its a very odd sensation and the worst part is when you look in the mirror or talk to others, you always feel like your voice is coming from a very far place...it kind of rings in your ears almost!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Does anyone feel like they've been fooled into thinking lives normal. Like u cant trust ur own perceptions because u have always been here. Like u are aware u learned things yet it feels like u know nothing. And its like u cant trust ur mind because ur already a person. So hard to explain but very frightening.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I feel the same. I enjoyed being alone before it happened. I loved solitude. I used to take long walks enjoying my own company. I can relate to everything you named in the first post, except panic attacks. What freaks me out when I'm alone is that I may start to talk to myself like I'm another person. It makes me feel so insane.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.